Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Ledo Road supplies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Ledo Road supplies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Ledo Road supplies - 5/12/2013 12:21:41 PM   
Yaab

What exactly was delivered to China once the Ledo Road had opened? Browsing the Internet reveals enigmatic "supplies" or"vehicles" moved in great quantities, but I cannot find a detailed breakdown of items.

Were any 105mm howitzers moved via Ledo Road? 155mm guns? M3 tanks? Heavy (75,80 or 90mm) flak guns? Artillery shells? Armored cars?

This mind wants to know. Thanks!

Post #: 1
RE: OT: Ledo Road supplies - 5/12/2013 2:27:06 PM   
Gregg

My understanding is that the largest trucks used on the Ledo Road were 2 1/2 ton trucks.
Thus I would conclude that the largest things transported on the Ledo road were things that could be carried in or towed behind a Duce and a Half.
Gregg

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Ledo Road supplies - 5/12/2013 2:33:57 PM   
morejeffs

If I remember correctly there was also a pipeline that carried fuel

that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

(in reply to Gregg)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Ledo Road supplies - 5/15/2013 6:45:58 AM   
Yaab

The Ledo Road vehicles I have seen so far on WWII photographs include Dodge trucks, Jeeps, ambulances and bulldozers. Haven't seen a single tank, armored car or towed artillery piece making the trip to China.

Did the trucks go back to Ledo after having delivered supplies to China or were the trucks given to the Chinese? Wikipedia says that 26,000 vehicles were given to the Chinese - seems every convoy surrendered its trucks to the KMT at the terminus in Kunming. I have always thought that the trucks went back to Ledo to collect a new batch of supplies and that the Ledo Road was a two-way road.

BTW, if the Chinese got 26,000 trucks in 1945 plus fuel, shouldn't have some of their corps switched to motorized infantry?

(in reply to morejeffs)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Ledo Road supplies - 5/20/2013 2:21:20 PM   
Yaab

One more thing. If the convoys from Ledo dumped both their supplies and trucks in Kunming, then where did the new trucks come from for new convoys? Were they shipped to India from the USA? If so, was then the real purpose of the Ledo Road motorisation of China by sending trucks to KMT for which Kuomintang had no fuel? This whole project looks wasteful Soviet-style.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Ledo Road supplies - 5/20/2013 5:00:13 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I don't have the answers, and I don't like to guess,

but check this:
http://cbi-theater.home.comcast.net/~cbi-theater/menu/cbi_home.html

regards

"Ik val aan, volg mij"
"I attack, follow me"
Karel Doorman

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Ledo Road supplies - 5/20/2013 5:10:40 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

http://cbi-theater-10.home.comcast.net/~cbi-theater-10/transportation/transportation.html

interesting to see that their main problem was lack of trained truckers.

It was wasteful.. but the entire war was, they tried everythink they thought can help.

"Ik val aan, volg mij"
"I attack, follow me"
Karel Doorman

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Ledo Road supplies - 5/20/2013 6:35:29 PM   
geofflambert

Urumchi I believe, is a fuel source. That's a heck of a long road up there and back to get it to the front (I don't know whether it was open historically) but that might be one important use for those trucks. Chunking in particular is a supply source but needed that fuel to produce them. I don't think motorizing infantry was very high on the things to do list for those trucks in any case.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 5/20/2013 6:38:50 PM >

Darwin has his eye on me.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Ledo Road supplies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI