Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

3-D Maps?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> 3-D Maps? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3-D Maps? - 5/12/2013 1:45:05 AM   
rfrizz

There is a thread about 3-D maps for the COTA version, but I would love to see some for the terrain of the BftB/HTTR maps.

Having a 3-D feel for the terrain is critical for a real commander, and it if just as important for winning BftB.

Even if the maps were simple 2-D with contour lines, I'd be pretty happy. I know that the game uses colors to denote relief, but I can't visualize 3D with color at all. With contour lines, I can see it right off the bat. I remember seeing a pic of a human body that had nothing but contour lines -- the shape was clear!

Out of curiosity, do the units "see" based on the moderate resolution of the game maps, or are they have a view based on a more detailed map?
Post #: 1
RE: 3-D Maps? - 5/12/2013 4:05:09 AM   
The Plodder

There is a google earth tour for BFTB, that has all the maps in 3-D, available here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2465176

I never did any for HTTR as the terrain is either flat or very easy to read.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to rfrizz)
Post #: 2
RE: 3-D Maps? - 5/12/2013 5:28:00 AM   
ewilkie

I'm hoping one of the map overlays for the planned CO2 will be contours. I asked for this a while back but Dave said the current graphics package could not support transparent overlays.

(in reply to The Plodder)
Post #: 3
RE: 3-D Maps? - 5/12/2013 9:03:38 AM   
Ramses

A feature like the 'terrain' layer in Google Maps world be a golden addition to the game.

(in reply to ewilkie)
Post #: 4
RE: 3-D Maps? - 5/13/2013 10:33:20 AM   
Hurrying Heinz

3d would be great for sure , i use the LOS tool constantly and get a pretty good feel for it

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 5
RE: 3-D Maps? - 5/13/2013 1:52:30 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: rfrizz
Out of curiosity, do the units "see" based on the moderate resolution of the game maps, or are they have a view based on a more detailed map?

LOS checking is done at the resolution the terrain tables (see options to experiment with different values in the MapMaker) has been set to. The resolution that you can see on the official maps was chosen as the best compromise between fidelity and speed. LOS checking, together with path finding, takes up a very significant amount of CPU time (hence the plans to adapt the engine architecture to the kind of multi-core multi-CPU setups which have become so common in the last 3? years).

Obviously, this trade-off between fidelity and speed is a moving target and was sort of a least common denominator. It depends quite a bit on the kind of rig you're running the game on, so YMMV and all that :)

< Message edited by Bletchley_Geek -- 5/13/2013 1:53:28 PM >

Nullius in Verba since February 2013 - http://panthergames.com
-----
Life in the Internets: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mvorkosigan
----
I'm a real person as well: http://au.linkedin.com/in/miguelramirezjavega

(in reply to rfrizz)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> 3-D Maps? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI