Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Plagues - Any cure yet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Plagues - Any cure yet? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/11/2013 7:28:55 PM   
Osito

I did an Internet search and found a thread a couple of years old indicating that plagues were incurable. Is this still the case?

I've just been hit with one for the first time, and it has wiped out over 70 percent of the population I have grown since the start of the game. Every colony it hit went down to under 20m pop - most to 1m. If it had hit my home system, I think it would have been game over, which is a bit worrying.

Post #: 1
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/11/2013 7:35:14 PM   
KAHUNA

Having a medical complex on an orbiting space station helps deter/fight plagues.I also add them in my defense platforms as a just in case it helps measure.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 2
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/11/2013 7:41:22 PM   
KAHUNA

I forgot to add that orbiting ships with a med complex onboard is helpful also.

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 3
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/11/2013 7:46:16 PM   
ehsumrell1

Hello Osito and welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately it is still the case. But here is some information for you to use.

First, when a plague hits, to minimize the spreading to other colonies, change your colony's
settings to 'Do Not Accept'. This will keep plague-stricken colonists on the planet and
they won't board any passenger ships used for migration.

Second, research the tech branch in the Energy & Construction area. You want to acquire the ability
to build the 'Terraforming Facility' which, when built, will help improve the quality rating of the
planet that the plague diminished. Although it will never improve it back to what it was.

Third, monitor the affected colony. Once the plague has ran it's course, reset the settings to your
liking and lower the tax rate to 0% to help grow the population faster.

Just some tips I've found to help concerning plagues. Hope it helps!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 4
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/11/2013 8:04:09 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
First, when a plague hits, to minimize the spreading to other colonies, change your colony's
settings to 'Do Not Accept'. This will keep plague-stricken colonists on the planet and

Useless. Migration settings do not affect your own race - by far the most common race in the player's empire in the vast majority of games.

Additionally, I haven't seen any relation between plague spreading and passenger ship activity. It seems to be independent of ship activity. I seem to recall having it pop up and spread without having any ships at the affected planets.

quote:

Second, research the tech branch in the Energy & Construction area. You want to acquire the ability
to build the 'Terraforming Facility' which, when built, will help improve the quality rating of the
planet that the plague diminished. Although it will never improve it back to what it was.

First off, Energy & Construction has no "Terraforming Facility" in it. It's in the "High Tech" area. Specifically, it becomes available one you research the second level of colonization technology - be it Ocean or Desert colonization.
Second, I don't recall plagues causing planet quality reduction. It kills off the population - that's all. Do you have anything to substantiate your claim of "planet quality damage"?

quote:

Third, monitor the affected colony. Once the plague has ran it's course, reset the settings to your

The sole item of advice here that's of any value.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 5/11/2013 8:18:26 PM >

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 5
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/11/2013 8:21:25 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: KAHUNA

Having a medical complex on an orbiting space station helps deter/fight plagues.I also add them in my defense platforms as a just in case it helps measure.

Medical facilities do not help with plagues.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 6
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 12:02:37 AM   
KAHUNA

I stand corrected...evidently I've had enormous luck in my games where I have med complexes as I stated above and altho I've had a few plagues they were not crippling to the extent I couldnt make recoveries.I put that down to my amazing doctors but I guess it was due to my people's hardiness instead

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 7
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 12:22:23 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

Useless. Migration settings do not affect your own race - by far the most common race in the player's empire in the vast majority of games.

Additionally, I haven't seen any relation between plague spreading and passenger ship activity. It seems to be independent of ship activity. I seem to recall having it pop up and spread without having any ships at the affected planets.

quote:

First off, Energy & Construction has no "Terraforming Facility" in it. It's in the "High Tech" area. Specifically, it becomes available one you research the second level of colonization technology - be it Ocean or Desert colonization.
Second, I don't recall plagues causing planet quality reduction. It kills off the population - that's all. Do you have anything to substantiate your claim of "planet quality damage"?

quote:

The sole item of advice here that's of any value.

Hello Kayoz;
I stand corrected, Kayoz is correct concerning the tech tree. The Terraforming Facility IS in the High
Tech Section NOT the Energy & Construction. Thanks for the correction!

Concerning the planet quality reduction, I unfortunately have no save games to provide proof for you, but I have had occasions where planet quality was lowered by a plague event similar to (but not as severe) as a disaster event.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 8
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 12:45:35 AM   
Webbco

quote:

Concerning the planet quality reduction, I unfortunately have no save games to provide proof for you, but I have had occasions where planet quality was lowered by a plague event similar to (but not as severe) as a disaster event.

What?! No evidence and just your unsubstantiated claims?!! Then surely you opinion is totally meaningless....

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 9
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 12:57:11 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

quote:

What?! No evidence and just your unsubstantiated claims?!! Then surely you opinion is totally meaningless....

Funny Webbco.....fortunately the only one I need to supply substantiated savegames to is Elliot!
Thanks for the laugh!

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 5/12/2013 12:58:05 AM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 10
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 7:07:59 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

I fired up DW and waited (not too long) for the plague event. I didn't see any change in planet quality that eh saw - just population growth at 0% and pop dropped to 10m. I'm not sure what caused eh's quality reduction, but I doubt it was due to plague.

If eh has something to substantiate his claim of planet quality degradation, I would very much like to see it. Otherwise, I'll have to allocate it the same reliability as his other bits of advice.

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 5/12/2013 7:09:07 AM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 11
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 10:18:04 AM   
Bingeling

There are many different plagues, though. Better wait for all of them

I don't think they affect quality either, but I am not sure.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 12
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 10:35:29 AM   
Mansen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

Medical facilities do not help with plagues.

That's a shame - Would have been nice if it helped a slight bit.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 13
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 10:38:30 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

Funny Webbco.....fortunately the only one I need to supply substantiated savegames to is Elliot!
Thanks for the laugh!

Your comments are, as usual, completely worthless.

Screencap is from a colony that's been reduced from 200m, and the plague is nearly done. No change to planet quality.

Well done, ehsumrell1 - nobody can say you aren't consistent.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kayoz -- 5/12/2013 10:40:31 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 14
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 10:42:51 AM   
Ralzakark

I don't think anyone can say you aren't consistent either, Kayoz.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 15
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 10:50:00 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralzakark

I don't think anyone can say you aren't consistent either, Kayoz.

It would be a shame not to feed my inner schadenfreude. ehsumrell1 is always good for a snack.

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 16
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 11:21:26 AM   
Webbco

Just for the record, I don't think your comments are worthless, ehsumrell....and you're constant teasing of the elusive Data makes me chuckle

Important to know how to have fun on a game forum!

< Message edited by Webbco -- 5/12/2013 11:22:48 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 17
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 12:25:18 PM   
Osito

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think the fact that people have different views on what is correct shows how hard it is to understand what's going on in this game. For example, if it weren't for the older post (which Kayoz referenced; this is the one I'd seen too), how would we know that medical bases don't help with plagues? It seems kinda logical that the might have some benefit.

Also (and this is what I was getting at in my original post), how do we know they don't help now? If you look at ER's post of 11/24/2011, he says:

"That being said, it's probably worth adding a few more things that you can do to influence the outcome in the future."

That was 18 months ago. Do we know for sure whether anything regarding the handling of plagues has been changed since then? Do we know whether medical facilities now help? From the answers I've seen, I guess not.

The main problem for me with the plague was that it travelled to other systems. I was wondering whether there is a way to restrict this. For example, if you stop sending your own ships to the plagued system, would that in any way effect the probability of transmission to other systems? I don't know the answer to that, either. In any event, I can't see any way to stop private ships going to the plagued system, so maybe the point is moot.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 18
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 12:41:12 PM   
ASHBERY76

Plaques are not ment to be easily dealt with a simple solution medical facility.Every base has them so it would make the event pointless.

Time is the healer so suck it up.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 5/12/2013 12:42:01 PM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 19
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 2:28:31 PM   
Mansen

Completely mitigate a plague? No
Lessen the problem to an extent? Yes (Could mean an increased budget cost)

From a pure "this makes sense" point of view. Having better medical facilities a player would expect it to help in some way or other - the alternative (Only basic medical care) is scary.

< Message edited by Mansen -- 5/12/2013 2:30:36 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 20
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 2:28:45 PM   
Osito

Thanks for your opinion Ashbery, but I'm just trying to establish the facts, not complain about the difficulty.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 21
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 2:43:19 PM   
KAHUNA

Medical facilities do add happiness to a colony so altho they may not deter any plagues they will allow my suffering with boils and pus-filled colonists a happier death

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 22
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 2:54:24 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: KAHUNA

Medical facilities do add happiness to a colony so altho they may not deter any plagues they will allow my suffering with boils and pus-filled colonists a happier death

Indeed medical facilities would not know how to deal with a Alien flu until some time later which is already abstracted into the game.

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 23
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 2:59:32 PM   
KAHUNA

I think I'l keep adding them as I do for healing troops and the happiness factor altho having them not being useful for plagues is counter-intuative in my opinion.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 24
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 4:04:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just a quick comment from a design standpoint. The Plague event was added as part of the Legends events that represent truly extraordinary disasters. These include things like an earthquake that causes the crust under part of a continent to collapse, sandstorms so massive and violent that they destroy most above ground structures on the entire planet, mega volcano eruptions that change the planetary climate and habitability for years, etc. Medical Centers give your colonies a bonus to happiness and troop regeneration based on their ability to deal with all normal diseases. The Plague event diseases are intended to be incurable when they initially appear.

In Shadows, we did find that there were instances where the Plague could get even worse than we intended. It sounds like one of those was the cause of the original post. Apologies for that. They should be much less likely to go quite that crazy in Shadows and we did implement a mitigating factor for medical tech, though it still cannot solve the plague.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 25
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 4:24:48 PM   
KAHUNA

Thank you for your confirmations and also for the update info on the upcoming installment of the overall game.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 26
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/12/2013 11:05:40 PM   
Mansen

Makes sense. :)

(in reply to KAHUNA)
Post #: 27
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/14/2013 7:35:59 PM   
simsum

Real documentation for this game would be so very appreciated.

Anyway... I just wanted to suggest that plagues aren't very interesting in their current form. There's no real gameplay considerations involved, just crossing one's fingers and hoping a plague doesn't spread too far before it goes away.

As they are, plagues are really just a "stupid game hates me" kind of thing.

If, for example, you could tech stuff that could contain plagues or decrease their severity in some other way, you'd suddenly have an interesting problem: do you avoid the low quality colony sites, skip the anti-plague tech and hope for the best? Or do you go for the low quality colony sites and the anti-plague tech both? Or do other concerns force you to skip the tech and tempt recurring, severe plagues?

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 28
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/14/2013 9:01:35 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: simsum
Real documentation for this game would be so very appreciated.

I think you'll find that there are very few games around which document the game in that level of detail. The vast majority of games take the line, "Find out in the game", thus encouraging players to test out their theories in the laboratory of the game. It's also a reward mechanism - the moment of insight when one figures out a mechanic is a "warm fuzzy" to most people.

If they did as you suggest and documented everything - this would just be a spreadsheet with a graphical front end.

If you want 100% documentation, I advise you to stick to chess or the like.

quote:

ORIGINAL: simsum
As they are, plagues are really just a "stupid game hates me" kind of thing.

I think that's a design decision, to occasionally throw the dice of fate. Most games have it, be it the deviation of bullets from your cross-hairs in a FPS, to a volcanic eruption in Civilization. I think you have to consider the intent of the design decision. It is, or was intended to be, a fairly minor event which would disrupt a player's plans but not cripple them. That it spread so far and wide with such a devastating effect as in Osito's case, was a bug - which Elliot has hopefully exterminated.

That said, I agree with you that there should be something that a player can do - crash research for the plague, quarantine of the planet or the like. But given the time and resources available to Elliot however, it's probably a not on his "red flag" list.

If you really dislike this sort of thing, you can disable disasters on the "victory conditions" panel when starting a new game.

(in reply to simsum)
Post #: 29
RE: Plagues - Any cure yet? - 5/15/2013 2:47:23 AM   
Kull

If you get a message like this:

"A swarm of Giant Kaltors have appeared near your Fleet and many of the crews have come down with a strange illness"

Well, NOW it's time to worry....

AE-Japan Setup

AE-Allied Setup

Japan Air-Engine Plan

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Plagues - Any cure yet? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI