Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Basic question about research automation ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Basic question about research automation ... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Basic question about research automation ... - 5/10/2013 3:29:27 PM   
Osito

I'm new to this game, and starting to switch off the automated features, but I noticed that if I switch off automation on research it still picks research options for me, i.e., it won't let me research nothing. Okay, why would I want to research nothing? Nevertheless, I still wonder whether I'm missing something. Is there anything you can do to prevent research being picked automatically? Also, does it do the same thing with any other automated features?
Post #: 1
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/10/2013 4:18:49 PM   
Plant

That doesn't happen to me. If research automaton is off, and I select nothing, I research nothing. Perhaps you accidently selected in a queue? Look for numbers in brackets next to the names or highlighted borders and right click to deselect.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 2
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/10/2013 4:32:27 PM   
Osito

Thanks for the reply. I definitely haven't selected anything. At first, I thought I may have done, so I started playing a game without touching anything in the research screen, but I'm still starting research in every area. I wondered whether there's something else I should switch off, but as far as I can see (in the policies and options screens), automated research is off. I am running with automated design - don't know whether that might affect it.

Supplementary question: I started humans, and therefore I have continental colonisation tech. However, this tech still appears as one to be researched. Is this something that I just have to grit my teeth over, or does researching the continental tech get me anything extra?

Osito

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 3
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/10/2013 4:42:05 PM   
Bingeling

I am quite sure the AI picks a research project if you keep the queue empty for a while.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 4
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/10/2013 10:59:19 PM   
Modest

quote:

I started humans, and therefore I have continental colonisation tech. However, this tech still appears as one to be researched. Is this something that I just have to grit my teeth over, or does researching the continental tech get me anything extra?

Hummans do not start game with continental colonisation technology. They just can colonise continental planets due to their natural enviroment (Earth is a continental afther all). What is the difference? If You know how to colonise certian type of planet (in Hummans' case - continental) than You have possibility to colonise it with every race You want - Hummans or not.

Understant it that way - inventing technology to colonise certian type of planet means ability to build structures (end equipment) that will allow Your colonists to live independently of conditions which that planet is offering us. While being able to colonise a planet because it is Your native type is like this - we can't separate ourselfs from planet's conditions, and if they are not fitting we will die. But that is not a problem for us, as conditions are perfect.

Gameplay wise - without proper technology You may colonise only planets that are native for certian race. If You would obtain by random event colony ship full of Boskara, You may not colonise continental planet, using that colony ship (Boskara - swamp planets are native). You may colonise only swamp planet with that. But when technology allow You to colonise continental planet type - You may colonise it with every races' colonisation ships which You will manage to obtain.

I hope that You understand what I wanted to say :)

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 5
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/11/2013 10:17:34 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

I'm new to this game, and starting to switch off the automated features, but I noticed that if I switch off automation on research it still picks research options for me, i.e., it won't let me research nothing. Okay, why would I want to research nothing? Nevertheless, I still wonder whether I'm missing something. Is there anything you can do to prevent research being picked automatically? Also, does it do the same thing with any other automated features?

I think you are referring to what happens when you first start a game. Research projects are automatically selected for the first 2-3 weeks before you take over control. To deselect them right click then left click to select another.

Basically you are right in that the first couple of weeks of the game research runs automatically regardless of the setting. After that intial period full manual control is in your hands, including the decision to change research projects or not.

Oh, and I think you can research nothing by deselecting all research projects.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 6
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/11/2013 4:02:47 PM   
Osito

Thank you for the explanation, Modest. I hadn't realised that was how it worked.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 7
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/11/2013 4:50:56 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller
Oh, and I think you can research nothing by deselecting all research projects.

Research is assigned automatically if you have no active projects. This is done when automation of research is off. It's probably there to stop the player from wasting research points because he hasn't noticed that the last project finished.

Or that's my experience...

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 8
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/11/2013 10:20:19 PM   
Sirian

In all my games the game would select a research topic if I didn't select one despite having it set to manual. Reseach is advanced once every 19 days (I think) and if this "tick" is made without a research being active, the game will select one for you so the research will not be wasted.

Visit Sirian's Mods

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 9
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/13/2013 6:27:17 PM   
Plant

I was wrong then. I guess I have always been quick to make sure I am researching something and have never noticed the AI selecting for me.

(in reply to Sirian)
Post #: 10
RE: Basic question about research automation ... - 5/18/2013 2:13:29 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sirian

In all my games the game would select a research topic if I didn't select one despite having it set to manual. Reseach is advanced once every 19 days (I think) and if this "tick" is made without a research being active, the game will select one for you so the research will not be wasted.

Thanks for the correction. Being something of a micromanager I have never left research unselected for the incrementation of research points to happen but have on occasion exited the research screen with nothing selected (while paused).

The 'normal' research point addition tick is 19 days but it is not consistent; I'm not sure if it has to do with rebooting the game and loading a save but I find that sometimes the 19 day cycle resets itself before completion, so you might get research points added after 10 days (but only 10/19 research points of a full cycle added) and that day is then used to restart the 19 day cycle.

(in reply to Sirian)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Basic question about research automation ... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI