Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carrier-capable

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Carrier-capable Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carrier-capable - 5/8/2013 2:24:12 PM   
Phanatik

What orders should such a squadron (stationed on a carrier) be given to get qualified for carops?

How long do they usually have to train?

Thx!
Post #: 1
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/8/2013 2:36:25 PM   
Itdepends

No orders necessary- it will just take time stationed on a carrier. 1-2 months or so- there's a precise time but I wouldn't get too worried about it. They can still fly ops while carrier capable.

(in reply to Phanatik)
Post #: 2
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/8/2013 3:13:56 PM   
dr.hal

I can't find reference to it in the manual but I do recall reading somewhere that to change a unit from carrier capable to trained, you had to have 90 days on the carrier (three months). But not sure. Hal

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 3
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/8/2013 4:19:14 PM   
Phanatik

Thanks!

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 4
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/8/2013 4:40:29 PM   
castor troy

and I really wouldn't give too much about "carrier trained" or not. I've been using non carrier trained USMC squadrons on carriers for years and there was no notable difference in op losses compared to "carrier trained". From a pure realism point of view you might not use a non carrier trained squadron on carriers at all, which would mean some use for one of the old non usable CVE to just put some USMC squadrons on flight decks to have them become carrier trained. But then again, what if those pilots die or are transferred, the squadron stays carrier trained while you put USMC pilots into the squadron that have never seen the ocean before. That's where I am at the point again to say "I don't care about carrier trained designation or not".

< Message edited by castor troy -- 5/8/2013 4:43:25 PM >

(in reply to Phanatik)
Post #: 5
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/8/2013 4:58:46 PM   
rms1pa

quote:

old non usable CVE

i find it quite nice to have the long island with a VMF squadron flying CAP in my replenishment squadrons.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 6
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/8/2013 9:54:03 PM   
wdolson

Beware that the F4U-1 is not carrier capable, so if you upgrade to the first version of the Corsair, you're unit on the carrier will quit being able to fly from the carrier.

If I recall correctly, the carrier trained goes with the unit, not the pilots (though it should be a pilot attribute, it isn't for technical reasons).

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to rms1pa)
Post #: 7
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/8/2013 10:08:09 PM   
Phanatik

I wonder how many F4Us I could squeeze on the Shokaku!?!
That would be quite liberal lend-lease!!!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 8
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/9/2013 12:57:15 AM   
nashvillen

As long as they were not the -1 model!

(in reply to Phanatik)
Post #: 9
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/9/2013 1:20:31 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I can't find reference to it in the manual but I do recall reading somewhere that to change a unit from carrier capable to trained, you had to have 90 days on the carrier (three months). But not sure. Hal

A keyword search on "capable" does not show this point in the manual. It may be under some other topic.

On carrier capable the relevant info is:

"Certain other units will be listed as Carrier Capable on their Air Unit Information Screen. These
planes may be fully functional on Aircraft Carriers, but have a higher chance of suffering
Operational Losses during take-offs and landings. Just because an aircraft is Carrier Capable
(i.e. it is built for carrier operations, having a tail hook and other necessary equipment) does not
mean the pilot flying it is trained to land and take off from one."

Section 7.0.1.1.1

The Moose

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 10
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/9/2013 7:46:51 PM   
crsutton

Castor Troy is right. I see very little difference in using carrier capable squadrons vs carrier trained. After four years of war, I do not even look at the designation. If there is a penalty it is so small that it really has no effect. Don't worry about this one..

< Message edited by crsutton -- 5/9/2013 7:47:28 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 11
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/9/2013 11:20:19 PM   
MineSweeper

The one thing you have to be careful about with "carrier capable" is that you could overload your carriers if that unit was not part of the original carrier complement. It's happened to me several times with that Japanese CVL that does not get home groups.

And it can still happen when trained too....

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 12
RE: Carrier-capable - 5/10/2013 12:55:20 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

The one thing you have to be careful about with "carrier capable" is that you could overload your carriers if that unit was not part of the original carrier complement. It's happened to me several times with that Japanese CVL that does not get home groups.

And it can still happen when trained too....

I believe this is because it is a "land unit" (whether or not there's actually a special distinction), and as such has aircraft in its upgrade path that aren't CV capable, which will take up 4x as much space and not be able to land on the CV. Such as the A6M3, or F4U-1. So you've got to be careful with the units you put on there. It's possible to get the unit CV trained by having it on there for 90 days and then have it upgrade to aircraft that aren't capable, while the unit will still be trained...

(in reply to MineSweeper)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Carrier-capable Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI