Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(axis) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(axis) - 5/7/2013 7:42:11 PM   
Lictuel

Hello guys, new guy here. Doing my first pbem after playing a couple of games vs the ai.
My German opponent is also kind of new so you will get to see two noobs.

Anyway on with the show, first turn was not what I expected, no Lvov pocket on turn one.

This means I can extract some more troops than I had hoped for.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lictuel -- 5/7/2013 7:45:05 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/7/2013 7:44:41 PM   
Lictuel

Results in the center. Few units in the pocket, lots of routs and thus more units for me to work with.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lictuel -- 5/7/2013 7:45:15 PM >

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 2
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/7/2013 7:46:10 PM   
Lictuel

And the situation in the north.

What programs do you guys use to get and edit the screenshots?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lictuel -- 5/7/2013 7:52:35 PM >

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 3
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/7/2013 9:07:13 PM   
morvael

Don't hit him hard in the winter. He didn't hit you hard on first turn.

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 4
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/7/2013 9:56:21 PM   
bigbaba

not bad for a beginner but not good enough to hurt the rusians.:)

you have very few units in pockets and he can cut of your panzer spearhead in the south if he likes.

good luck to you.:)

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 5
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/7/2013 10:24:59 PM   
carlkay58

One thing to be careful of - all of those routed units will suck up your manpower and arm points being on refit. The Axis player can run down the Soviet resources extremely fast by NOT destroying the XXs. It takes some real skill and I have never tried it against a human, but I have read some AARs about the 'Soviet Grind' effects and this is how it starts!

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 6
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/7/2013 11:31:48 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

you have very few units in pockets and he can cut of your panzer spearhead in the south if he likes.

Our esteemed author is the russians

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 7
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/7/2013 11:39:02 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

One thing to be careful of - all of those routed units will suck up your manpower and arm points being on refit. The Axis player can run down the Soviet resources extremely fast by NOT destroying the XXs. It takes some real skill and I have never tried it against a human, but I have read some AARs about the 'Soviet Grind' effects and this is how it starts!

Routed units don't get replacements.

Just keep TOEs down to about 60% and 50% for those building in rear and you will be fine. Keep an eye on manpower and arms points and adjust as required. Better the unit (morale AND experience)higher the TOE. Keep your best divs on highest TOE (suggest 85-90%)but don't then put them where they are likely be surrounded.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 8
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 1:48:01 AM   
Pelton

Poor German

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 9
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 7:22:02 AM   
Lictuel

Thanks for the advices, this is game is on turn 17 right now though, so some of the advice can't be used anymore. I will remember it for my next round though.
I will keep this AAR at least 2-3 rounds behind the current state of the game, since this AAR is free to read by my opponent as well.

Pelton is right though, without to much spoilers I have to say, the number of reds in the OOB is pretty high for the date we have right now, at least I guess it is.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 10
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 7:32:24 AM   
Lictuel

Turn 2
Screenshots will be from the end of the turn, unless stated otherwise.

I managed to cut of the 13th and 14th Panzer near Rovno at the end of the last turn. They are free again this turn but can't advance far and I manage to cut the 13th off again. Apart from that the red army is falling back. Red air force is positioned in the national reserve and will return to its airfields soon.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lictuel -- 5/8/2013 7:33:11 AM >

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 11
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 7:38:33 AM   
Lictuel

In the center Minsk is cut off and the Germans are within sight of the dnepr. The spearhead gets cut off by a brave rifle division while troops are being brought in to defend Smolensk.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 12
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 7:47:58 AM   
Lictuel

In the north a defensive is planed near Pskov, the roads towards Tallinn have only a few scattered brigades or divisions to function as speed bumps.

East and southeast of Pskov the 6th Panzer and 20th motorized division get cut off, further slowing the German drive into mother Russia.

I was very happy with this turn, the very edges of the German spearheads were not defended well enough allowing me to cut off four of his mobile divisions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 13
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 8:24:35 AM   
Lictuel

Turn 3

More pulling back and once again two German divisions get cut off in the north. This time its the 20th motorized again and the 8th Panzer.

Apart from that not much happened this turn defensive lines get prepared. I begin the preparations on the Smolensk - Moscow axis, which, looking back, was far to early.
Also Riga is under siege and repelled two assaults this turn, buying me much needed time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 14
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 8:31:16 AM   
Lictuel

In the south the Romanians begin attacking and Tarnopol is about to fall. Northeast of Kiev i have assembled four tank corps for possible counterattacks. I prefer to use the tanks while they still have some power instead of pulling them back and letting them transform into brigades.

After the next turn I will post some numbers and the OOB.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 15
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 11:20:11 AM   
Manstein63

quote:

In the south the Romanians begin attacking

You may have made a mistake by doing this. If you have captured any Towns in Romania you will free all the Frozen garrison units that are in the Balkans & Hungary.
Manstein63

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 16
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 3:36:54 PM   
Lictuel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manstein63

quote:

In the south the Romanians begin attacking

You may have made a mistake by doing this. If you have captured any Towns in Romania you will free all the Frozen garrison units that are in the Balkans & Hungary.
Manstein63

I did not attack the Romanians, AGS made contact with the Romanian border at the end of turn two so they are free to move now. I don't see how i could have captured towns that way.

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 17
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 4:06:12 PM   
Choles1

I agree! I am the other NOOB.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 18
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 4:10:50 PM   
Manstein63

Sorry sometimes my brain engages without knowing exactly what to say. A Russian security Rgt has crossed the Romanian Border South(ish) of Izmail if there is a town in that hex that in its self could free the Balkan's garrisons, don't let it move any further into Romania
Manstein63

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 19
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 5:21:17 PM   
Lictuel

Manstein you were right I didn't even remember moving that rgt there. If it would have moved deeper it might indeed have been a problem.

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 20
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 10:48:02 PM   
bigbaba

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

Our esteemed author is the russians

outch. well...it...was already late.:)

i take it back and congratulate to you about a good beginning.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 21
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/8/2013 11:02:09 PM   
morvael

quote:

ORIGINAL: Choles1

I agree! I am the other NOOB.

Good luck and I hope you will master this great game soon. It's very rewarding experience to be much more effective in using the same set of counters and then looking back at how you did at start to compare.

(in reply to Choles1)
Post #: 22
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/10/2013 1:39:36 PM   
Lictuel

Turn 4

In the north the defense of Leningrad is being prepared while the Germans arrive at the Pskov defense line in force.
In the center the battle for the land bridge has begun in earnest and limited soviet counterattacks are performed. At the same time the infantry formations of the Wehrmacht get within range of the dnepr, thus it won't hold much longer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 23
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/10/2013 1:43:35 PM   
Lictuel

In the south not much happened apart from a continued slow retreat. I managed to cut off the Leibstandarte near Staraya Sinyava and route it after a couple of attacks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 24
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/10/2013 1:46:12 PM   
Lictuel

As promised here are some numbers showing how the war is going. I'm more or less okay with the current amount of lost men.
I also added three battle reports from my fights against the L.A.H and the Lehr brigade.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lictuel -- 5/26/2013 2:02:54 PM >

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 25
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/26/2013 2:14:40 PM   
Lictuel

Turn 5

Nothing special happend this turn, I continue to walk east and leave the dnepr behind. After two panzer divisions crossed I thought the position to be doomed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 26
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/26/2013 2:16:42 PM   
Lictuel

In the south I had to leave my positions, seeing how there was an impending encirclement. Notice how weak the southern part of the defense is.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 27
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/26/2013 2:21:38 PM   
Lictuel

Turn 6
His drive for Leningrad, I began forming a solid line on the Luga and set up some screening divisions in front of it. South of lake Ilmen a defensive line is being build as well.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 28
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/26/2013 2:22:54 PM   
Lictuel

In the center he covers the ground I gave up last round and he keeps pushing for Smolensk. I start some local counterattacks but not much was gained.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 29
RE: Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(... - 5/26/2013 2:24:39 PM   
Lictuel

In the south I create a line of defenses in front of Kiev while further south only a weak checker board tries to hold the Germans.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lictuel)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Something new in the east. Lictuel(sov) vs Choles1(axis) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI