Basic support question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

topeverest

Basic support question

Post by topeverest »

If a ground force has an HQ with ample ground support over and above required, does it actually help units recover the effects of combat faster - that is disruption, fatigue, unit effectiveness, recovering squad elements.

Andy M
Chris21wen

RE: Basic support question

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: topeverest

If a ground force has an HQ with ample ground support over and above required, does it actually help units recover the effects of combat faster - that is disruption, fatigue, unit effectiveness, recovering squad elements.

From the manual page 182

The Support value is the amount of intrinsic support (i.e., support within the unit) that
is available, while the Support Required value indicates the number of support squads
needed to fully support the men and equipment in the unit. This unit is not able to draw extra
support from other units in the hex, so the Support Required number is in red. One support
squad is needed for every non-Support or Aviation Support element in the unit. Support in a
friendly base hex can be shared between units, so as long as the total support in the hex is
greater than the support needed by all the units in the hex, the units will be fully supported.
Support is not shared if not in a friendly base hex.

The last sentence is very interesting so make of it what you will.
HexHead

Post by HexHead »

Good info, but, if I understand correctly, not what the OP was asking, at least the way it was cast.

The question was the rate of recovery.

From what is quoted, I would, initially, say "No, it is not hastened." I dunno fer sure, though.

Oh, and the last sentence in the quote says to me, you have to be in a friendly Base to share Support. Ne c'est pas?
"Goddamn it, they're gittin' away!!"
- unknown tincan sailor near the end of Leyte Gulf, when Kurita retired
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

The manual is wrong on shared support in non-base hexes. Look here:
tm.asp?m=3113263&mpage=1&key=&#3124495
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

I have an even more basic/beginner question on support: what does the player do to ensure his troops in the field have the support they need?
Let's say I want to strat move a regt from San Diego to Guadalcanal, directly, as historically occurred (read "Goodbye Darkness").
I move a inf unit and eng unit via trans TF into GC. What considerations musy I make for support? Is is a matter of specific support units going along for the ride?
HexHead

Post by HexHead »

The UI is very good at this kind of info. If you lack 'minimum Support', the unit's screen displays this in red - also the base Info screen informs you of Support req'mts.

So, yes, to a certain extent, you jut provide Support elements. But, as almost always in this game, there's more to it. Get familiar with the basic type of infantry, armor, arty, & support & HQ units. Look at a few - ge t a feel for AV/formation correspondences, note how there's Naval Support, the crucial Aviation Support of which there is never enough, and other elements.

The game doesn't have 'answers' - you are supposed to have 'problems', logisitcal and otherwise. I had to restart a scenario campaign, just for a stupid mistake in overlooking stacking limits on an atoll island - I just restarted & re-rganized, which took a while and now, a week in, I still have some organizational headaches.

"The art of war is straightforward and easily apprehensible - but in war, even the simplest thing is diffcult." - Sun Tzu
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

ORIGINAL: HexHead

T

"The art of war is straightforward and easily apprehensible - but in war, even the simplest thing is diffcult." - Sun Tzu

Are the algorithms of WITP AE satisfactorily representative of Sun Tzu and war planners? I would suspect yes otherwise why the amazing community committed to this title?
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

ORIGINAL: mantrain
I have an even more basic/beginner question on support: what does the player do to ensure his troops in the field have the support they need?
Let's say I want to strat move a regt from San Diego to Guadalcanal, directly, as historically occurred (read "Goodbye Darkness").
I move a inf unit and eng unit via trans TF into GC. What considerations musy I make for support? Is is a matter of specific support units going along for the ride?
'Base Force' and 'HQ' type LCUs contain the extra support 'devices' that your combat forces need. Most land-combat units don't have enough support (support or motorized support squads), airgroups contain no support at all (they're useless unless located at a base w/ aviation support), and an active naval base needs naval support (primarily to improve load/unload speed, i think they also aid ship-repair).

So yes, support-type units must 'go along for the ride'. When particpating in an amph assault into an enemy-owned base, they must have good 'planning preparation' (100%!), controlled by its 'Set Future Objective' button, else they risk add'l casualties when they unload. An AmphTF move into a base that you already own won't be subject to these 'unloading' casualties.
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

So I need to take the San diego base force along with the Marines from Pendelton? or the SF with troops from Norther CA?
HexHead

Post by HexHead »

No, probably not. It gets into your structure of HQs, and what are "Restricted Units", and some are Static & never move. SF Base Force is most likely meant to stay there - look you need Base Forces in generall - which particular one gets involved in the things mentionaed above, which boills down to paying Political Points as a price to free the unit from a Restricted, can't move hardly nowhere HQ, to an unRestricted HQ that can tranship over the ocean so you can put them where you want them.

You need to figure who goes with what - you're the Boss, that's part of the deal in the game. we are just telling you what you need, in general.

Seriously, go click a lot, read the manual, then come back some more. Some of your Qs border on "Where do I click?" The UI is pretty good, if you work with it.

(R) after a unit's designation indicates it comes under a Restricted HQ. Figure out who is under whom, who needs to be freed up from the West Coast, Australian mainland, a few other places and see what ENG & Supp units you need to transport to Bases.

Your Support, ENG & HQ are essential. HQ the least so, but the first two are indispensable. Don't leave home without 'em.

Now, go forth and supply!
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

The UI is pretty good, if you work with it.

What is "UI." sorry, I just had to ask.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

User Interface. Essentially, the control system for a game and how you interact with it. (Often described by words like clean, messy, intuitive, etc.)
mantrain

Post by mantrain »

right, somehow I missed that.
Ok, here's a question I have that maybe discussed somewhere in the manual, but I think it;s more strategic in nature: Let's stipulate that the Allies want to try and maintain control of their forces in the Philippines. Macarthur believes that Roosevelt will eventually bail him out. A survey of the Allied forces on the islands reveals scattered forces throughout the islands. wouldn't I want to bring all my forces together? I am curious how most players approach organizing all their forces within the Philippine islands in '41/'42? hindsight not being 50/50, we anticipate support from the USA to deal with Homma. Or, should I evacuate everyone from the islands?
HexHead

Post by HexHead »

Macarthur believes that Roosevelt will eventually bail him out.

IOW, if General MacArthur were delusional. Well, apparently, he was, for a while, and I say that as an admirer.

Please forgive the interruption.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: HexHead
Macarthur believes that Roosevelt will eventually bail him out.

IOW, if General MacArthur were delusional. Well, apparently, he was, for a while, and I say that as an admirer.

Please forgive the interruption.

He was so delusional he didn't see all those white (R)s next to every units' name. [:)]
The Moose
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Ok, here's a question I have that maybe discussed somewhere in the manual, but I think it;s more strategic in nature: Let's stipulate that the Allies want to try and maintain control of their forces in the Philippines. Macarthur believes that Roosevelt will eventually bail him out. A survey of the Allied forces on the islands reveals scattered forces throughout the islands. wouldn't I want to bring all my forces together? I am curious how most players approach organizing all their forces within the Philippine islands in '41/'42? hindsight not being 50/50, we anticipate support from the USA to deal with Homma. Or, should I evacuate everyone from the islands?

In answer to your question, the Phillipines are lost however you choose to play them almost every time in PBEM, and even against the AI in most cases. Most Allied players will fall back to the Manila/Clark/Bataan triangle with as many troops and with as much supply as they can muster, then attempt to hold out for as long as they can. This is one of the few times where the game usually proceeds very much along the lines of real life, though the time frame can tend to move a bit.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”