Beginner friendly?

Gary Grigsby’s World at War is back with a whole new set of features. World at War: A World Divided still gives complete control over the production, research and military strategy for your side, but in this new updated version you’ll also be able to bring spies into the mix as well as neutral country diplomacy, variable political events and much more. Perhaps the largest item is the ability to play a special Soviet vs. Allies scenario that occurs after the end of World War II.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

Three4Flinching

Beginner friendly?

Post by Three4Flinching »

Hi, I´m new to wargames and was wondering if this game is good for beginners.

I have been playing Panzer Corps but I miss having more of a macro-level game and research. I play alot of strategy-games like 4x-games, Total War and Civilization, though I am not very good at them [:D], so I´m not a total beginner to the genre.

Is this game more like those typ of games?

Bjering

RE: Beginner friendly?

Post by Bjering »

I think this is a very good game for anyone that likes turn-based strategy games. It is not hard to learn and as a beginner I think you will have a lot of fun vs the AI. Then for PBEM it is a game that allows you to think more (and click less) than most games, pardon the cliché but this is a game that is easy to learn but hard to master.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

If you like Grand Strategy, but don't want to be overwhelmed with more detail than is necessary to establish the world conquest feel and fun, then ya this is the right game for that. Ever play Axis and Allies? This games map is similar in scale to A&A Europe and Pacific. It's like combining those two games and putting a better tech and build system into it. And this game is perfect for the once a day PBEM turn. Max number of turns is about 24.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

ORIGINAL: Three4Flinching

Hi, I´m new to wargames and was wondering if this game is good for beginners.

Unlike a lot of other wargames, this one doesn't require you to oversee hundreds (or thousands in some cases) of combat units. So, in that regard it's a good game for beginners. [;)]
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Three4Flinching

Post by Three4Flinching »

Thanks for all the info! I´m really thinking about getting this game now. I have never played Axis and Allies or a grand strategy, if 4x games or Civilization does not count as grand strategy. Is a full game "only" 24 turns even if you play against the AI?

How much research and diplomacy is there, does the game play anything like Civ, Total war or a 4x game?
Finally, does it work with Windows 8?

Sorry if my questions are a bit stupide, never played a game like this [:D]
Nami Koshino

Post by Nami Koshino »

ORIGINAL: Three4Flinching

Thanks for all the info! I´m really thinking about getting this game now. I have never played Axis and Allies or a grand strategy, if 4x games or Civilization does not count as grand strategy. Is a full game "only" 24 turns even if you play against the AI?

How much research and diplomacy is there, does the game play anything like Civ, Total war or a 4x game?
Finally, does it work with Windows 8?

Sorry if my questions are a bit stupide, never played a game like this [:D]

Research plays a large and essential role in A World Divided. Without it you'll eventually be out-classed by your opponents in such fields as ASW, armor, aviation, etc. However, the further ahead you get on research the more you have to expend in R&D to maintain that lead. Being the innovative front runner has a heavy cost. The number of units you have in the field that need upgrade will effect research costs as well.

Diplomacy plays a smaller part than research. You can woo smaller nations to trade with you or lean your way politically. But, as Germany you'll never get hard-wired enemies like the Western Allies or the Soviets to come over to your side through diplomatic charm.

The biggest difference between a game like this and Civilization or Total War is that there isn't much pretty 3-D eye candy. A World Divided is essentially a 2-D game played on computer rendered map board. The map doesn't change every time you start a new game. Also, not all sides begin with an equal chance to win. Time, numbers and resources are against the Axis powers, Germany and Japan as it was historically.
Rice is a great snack when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something to eat.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided”