Climate / Weather design totally inadequate

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Templer_12

Climate / Weather design totally inadequate

Post by Templer_12 »

The design of the climate / weather is so bad, that I think that issue deserves its own thread.

Manual Page 24 Climate:
“For the first turn of December until the last turn of March, the map is covered in winter climate…”.

Weather is extremely important!
Climatic conditions and current weather conditions have always been influenced battles, campaigns and wars.
It does not matter whether one does this from a tactical, strategic or operational view.

But Commander: The Great War:
“For the first turn of December until the last turn of March, the map is covered in winter climate…”.

The dates are fixed!? Where is there such a thing?
So I can set me alone on the requirements.
This has nothing to do with tactics or strategy.
That's just not right.
The weather break is no surprise to us that we need to seriously deal with.
Dealing with the start and the end of the annual winter is simply, boring routine.

Rain and snow are not simulated at all.
Poor visibility. No Airplane in the Sky. The troops are moving slowly forward. Heavy units, such as heavy armored tanks maybe not at all.

I understand that in the game much have to be abstracted - must be abstracted.
(I do not want to ask for icy ports)
And much is good or even excellent solved.

But the current climate / weather design is useless and crap!

Some feature are insufficiently realized, that I'm considering to put the game by side with the hope of an improvement in an upcoming patch. [:(]
kirk23

RE: Climate / Weather design totally inadequate

Post by kirk23 »

I also think that the winter months should be much more random and not fixed, who ever heard off predictable weather ?[&:]
Make it so!
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

I also think that the winter months should be much more random and not fixed, who ever heard off predictable weather ?[&:]
You got the point.
Maybe the winter should additionally be of different duration?
operating

Post by operating »

Keep in mind the length of these turns, I doubt that it would rain for 2 weeks or 20 days, whichever is true for a turn.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “Commander - The Great War”