Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: First Men On The Moon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: First Men On The Moon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/5/2013 2:55:32 PM   
witpqs

So have you guys seen this?

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/
Post #: 1
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/5/2013 3:20:05 PM   
mullk

Hmmm. Didn't Alice Kramden greet them when they landed?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/5/2013 3:24:43 PM   
Chickenboy

Neat find, my Argletonian colleague!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/5/2013 3:41:25 PM   
nashvillen

Nice! Thank you!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/5/2013 7:16:47 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: mullk

Hmmm. Didn't Alice Kramden greet them when they landed?

No, Grand Fenwick was:

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to mullk)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/5/2013 9:54:22 PM   
mikkey

excellent site, thank you!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/6/2013 12:06:05 AM   
drw61

Thanks, I remember watching that as a kid on a small b/w tv.

(and Sprior I still have a copy of The Mouse on the Moon)
Daryl

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/6/2013 12:14:37 AM   
Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: drw61

Thanks, I remember watching that as a kid on a small b/w tv.

(and Sprior I still have a copy of The Mouse on the Moon)
Daryl

I remember reading all of the Mouse/Grand Fenwick books years ago, great books (and a great ring of truth when I was a young International Relations major!).

Currently Playing:
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (learning, not really playing ;) )
LST 325 Fanboy!

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/6/2013 10:33:56 PM   
dr.hal

Good stuff, bring back memories of watching it live..... great times. Too bad we have stalled since then.

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/7/2013 1:33:42 AM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Good stuff, bring back memories of watching it live..... great times. Too bad we have stalled since then.

So true. One of my great memories was the Company Commander (D.I. in the Navy!) brought in a portable TV so we could watch the landing live. The really good thing is that he gave us a very light day the next day because half of the boot camp company sat up and watched. You could have heard a pin drop for almost 20 minutes.

Too bad so many people cried about all that money being wasted on the space program. They must have thought that dollars were stuffed into the rockets and that was what was being shot off into outer space. Stupid!!! Every penny was spent employing people, buying goods and materials that employed people, using service that employed people, and even better, was spent on research and development which also employed people and led to a whole boatload of stuff we take for granted today.

Where would we be if we had continued at anywhere near that pace for the last 40 years?

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/7/2013 4:01:13 AM   
crsutton

I will never forget it. I was not just amazing that we were landing on the moon but that millions of us were watching it on TV while it happened. The world over..

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/7/2013 7:27:32 PM   
dr.hal

To me what said it all about expectations in the late 60s was the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey. I remember thinking that starting years with 20 in place of 19 is odd enough, but being "out there" was going to be fantastic. And then it all stopped cold. When 2001 actually came and went and we had gone no where, I couldn't help but think how high our expectations were back then and the belief that we could do anything. That expectation has evaporated. Sad.

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 5/7/2013 8:14:46 PM >

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/7/2013 7:53:14 PM   
RevRick

Oh, we could still do it, Dr. Hal. All it really takes is that the politicians involved actually develop a desire to move toward the future instead of protecting their present - which has been increasing the practice since 1972.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/7/2013 8:03:51 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: RevRick

Oh, we could still do it, Dr. Hal. All it really takes is that the politicians involved actually develop a desire to move toward the future instead of protecting their present - which has been increasing the practice since 1972.

NASA will never be able to have a goal and stick to it as long as the goals are set by politicians who are subject to re-election every 2-6 years. In many ways having Kennedy set the goal as the moon in landmark speech was part of the problem. Once that was achieved and the Soviets humbled, all interest in funding manned flight began to dribble away.

I generally think that NASA is doing quite well managing the budget they have. I'd prefer more robotic, and less manned budget, but I understand the need for both. I am hopeful that someday there will be a sentiment favoring paying taxes to support big science in a bigger way, but that day is not now.

I have no love for bogus conspiracy theories, but guess I can see why a more cynical generation questions if we ever really went to the moon when we haven't been back in forty years.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/7/2013 8:16:57 PM   
dr.hal

Wouldn't it be cool if we could pick where our taxes would be spent??? Now that would bring about change....

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/7/2013 8:21:24 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

Wouldn't it be cool if we could pick where our taxes would be spent??? Now that would bring about change....

What's funny is that if tomorrow, China were to announce that they are going to the moon with the goal of eventually setting up a permanent base there, Congress would vote NASA a bottomless purse faster than you can say "blast-off".

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/7/2013 8:58:22 PM   
dr.hal

GOOD POINT, that means there is hope yet!!!

Post #: 17
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/8/2013 3:19:47 AM   
Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

NASA will never be able to have a goal and stick to it as long as the goals are set by politicians who are subject to re-election every 2-6 years. In many ways having Kennedy set the goal as the moon in landmark speech was part of the problem. Once that was achieved and the Soviets humbled, all interest in funding manned flight began to dribble away.

On the other hand, having Kennedy set the goal was possibly the one way to ensure that we accomplished it. We have had other presidents set ambitious goals for NASA and other programs (Reagan and Star Wars, Bush rolled out a 'new vision for NASA' to return to the moon) but succeeding administrations found it pretty easy to shift priorities. Because of Kennedy's assassination, I think there was a great sense in the country that we had to fulfil his ambitions, not quite a dying wish, but something like that in the national psyche. Had Johnson tried to re-prioritize or cancel the program, it would be seen as a betrayal of a president that we still had a strong emotional attachment too. Not sure it would have had the same effect if the speech had been made by Eisenhower or Johnson (or Nixon!).

Currently Playing:
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (learning, not really playing ;) )
LST 325 Fanboy!

Post #: 18
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/9/2013 2:02:36 AM   
topeverest

The cat's meow...A piece of history to be coveted 100,000 years after no one remembers our names.

Andy M

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/9/2013 2:58:48 PM   
bjmorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

quote:

What's funny is that if tomorrow, China were to announce that they are going to the moon with the goal of eventually setting up a permanent base there, Congress would vote NASA a bottomless purse faster than you can say "blast-off".

And we'd have to borrow the money from .... wait for it .... it's coming .... the Chinese!

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

Post #: 20
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/9/2013 4:14:57 PM   
Shellshock

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

And we'd have to borrow the money from .... wait for it .... it's coming .... the Chinese!

They're quite content to fund our defense budget so it wouldn't surprise me.

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 21
RE: OT: First Men On The Moon - 5/9/2013 4:53:14 PM   
t001001001

That webpage was very interesting. Thanks for posting the link

I'd like Cmdr Armstrong's first words to be: "we got here first, r00skia. suck it!" But ppl were more classy back then. Plus all those guys were top notch.

SLAAKMAN will be along presently to provide links 'proving' its all a faked conspiracy

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: First Men On The Moon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI