Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about building in Foreign systems.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> Question about building in Foreign systems. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/4/2013 4:40:14 PM   
acestealth

Relative noob here. From some of the insinuations I've read/seen ingame. We should be able to build bases and even found colonies in foreign territory (without permission/treaty) if desired (with a diplomatic penalty of course). The one time I tried this I couldn't seem to do it. Buttons for building on the planet I wished to place a mining station at were grayed out? I am playing a fully updated legends game with only a few minor graphics mods and distant worlds extended.

Thanks for any info, plus all that I've already absorbed from those of you posting tips/tactics in the forums. This game is massively awesome in its scope, can't believe I only just noticed it.

Post #: 1
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/4/2013 5:18:41 PM   
Bingeling

No, in Legends you can not build anything in the zone of influence of another empire. I don't think you can colonize an independent either, but you can invade it...

And of course this game is awesome :-)

(in reply to acestealth)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/4/2013 6:29:04 PM   
acestealth

Thanks! I figured it was just a patch change somewhere along the way. Shame though, I liked the idea of balancing diplomacy/discretion/material needs...and I needed me some Silicon at that point in the game. >=)

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/4/2013 6:59:57 PM   
Bingeling

There is always war. There is always trade too.

If the system is near a border, you could see if there is a colonizable planet (even crap one), just outside their border. That could shift the border a bit. Not that a tiny colony at the edge makes a massive impression on a capital circle.

(in reply to acestealth)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/4/2013 7:37:35 PM   
acestealth

Trying to shift the border was an idea. It was an odd situation because the system in question was within the sphere of both of our planets capitals. We started awfully close together. I imagine war would have been the likely outcome before any border shifting though. I moved onto another game where neighbors weren't so close to start while I'm learning. :o

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/4/2013 11:45:21 PM   
Plant

You can declare war and build your own mine there if you cannot shift the border. This generally isn't worth it though, unless it's a resource you really need (Carbon fibre, Polymer and Chromium mainly) or the extremely rare luxury resources.

Don't worry though, if the AI player has built a mine over it, and neither of you have any trade trade sanctions you should be able to build ships even if youa re lacking in silicon.

I had some funny situations though, where 2 races had planets in the same system, so depending on how the planets rotate, certain mines would be under different zones of influences at different times.

(in reply to acestealth)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/17/2013 2:23:21 PM   
balto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

I don't think you can colonize an independent either, but you can invade it...

Whoa, is that correct? I have only stated playing about an hour last night and I saved right before I saw an independent. Tonight I was going to send a colony ship over there. I am thinking you are saying that will not work?

I thought I read the update log, I do not remember seeing that important change in there.

Thanks

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/17/2013 3:46:50 PM   
hfl13

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

Whoa, is that correct? I have only stated playing about an hour last night and I saved right before I saw an independent. Tonight I was going to send a colony ship over there. I am thinking you are saying that will not work?

I thought I read the update log, I do not remember seeing that important change in there.

Thanks

IMO you can colonize a world that is not in your neighbors sphere/system.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/17/2013 7:09:13 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

I don't think you can colonize an independent either, but you can invade it...

Thanks

That was in the context of "An independent in the zone of influence of another empire". An independent not within those areas can be colonized, but probabilities of success depends on the races involved.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/17/2013 7:24:38 PM   
hfl13

Some independent races are angry with you that leads to high failure rates at colonization - invasion is cheaper but damages reputation. At the moment my game has most independents from setup, which I will never try again because the AI handles them too well and my reputation was damaged early in the game by too many invasions of independents. This setting is a real jumpstart to all empires and is only limited by my colonize restriction at range 2,1 from the nearest colony.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 10
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/18/2013 1:33:34 AM   
balto

Thank you for the clarification.

(in reply to hfl13)
Post #: 11
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/18/2013 2:49:10 PM   
Plant

Selecting the independent colony tells you whether you have a good chance of owning the colony by colonising it or not, so you don't have to guess which races like your race or not.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 12
RE: Question about building in Foreign systems. - 5/18/2013 4:04:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: acestealth
Thanks! I figured it was just a patch change somewhere along the way. Shame though, I liked the idea of balancing diplomacy/discretion/material needs...and I needed me some Silicon at that point in the game. >=)

You can always reduce the influence sphere using the slider in the galaxy setup to the point where it effectively only covers their own system, which will give you close to the same type of gameplay in that area as existed before Legends.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/18/2013 4:05:13 PM >

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to acestealth)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> The War Room >> Question about building in Foreign systems. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI