Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 9:30:15 PM   
chemkid

hi all! nice thread.
dayz (the arma2 mod) got me hooked on wargaming. i checked arma2 and couldn't stand the poor performance on my laptop - while searching for other wargaming alternatives to fps-games i found some reviews and other articles on wite by bruce geryk... wite?! that's too much for me (i thought) and started to look into panzercorps - since it was xmas (2012) sale at matrix... mmmmh... you can guess the rest of the story.

right now i'm busy diving into witp-ae - hah!

cheers!
chem!

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 31
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 9:33:12 PM   
tocaff

I bought Uncommon Valor at a retail store when it was a new release that I happened to spot and that led me to Matrix. It did take me a number of years to decide to try PBEM and that's when I actually started with the forums.

< Message edited by tocaff -- 5/4/2013 9:34:25 PM >

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 32
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 9:38:14 PM   
Hotschi

December 2009, a link at subsim.com pointed to a review of War in the Pacific AE. 1st of January 2010 I purchased the title - and never regretted it.

Since I prefer wargames to any other kind of computer games, I wonder why I didn't find matrixgames sooner.

"One day, Tom, you'll be standing on a box on your bridge, and your ship will be smashed to pieces by bombers and torpedo aircraft; as she sinks, your last words will be "That was a f**ing great mine!""
- Air Marshal Arthur Harris to Adm Tom Phillips

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 33
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 10:23:36 PM   
th1207

Maximum Football. I was searching the internet for an American Football game other than Madden.
This was also the first game I purchased here iirc.
I had bought UV and Korsun Pocket in a retail store before.
So I had not only found a (then) new football game, but also a home of my wargaming interest.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 34
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 11:01:56 PM   
RangerX3X

I found a demo on fileplanet called "Red Devils Over Arnhem" and was fascinated with it. I could not find it anywhere to purchase, so after visiting Panther Games website, I found Highway to the Reich which I bought off of GoGamer. HTTR is what brought me to Matrix Games and the Australian boob thread keeps me coming back (that and COBFTB, COHTTR, COCOTA, etc.).

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 35
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 2:43:59 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

What Brought You To Matrix Games?

Matrix was giving away Steel Panthers World at War for free. What a great gesture!

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 36
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 9:32:09 AM   
ComradeP

I'm actually not really sure what made me visit this forum for the first time, I seem to recall it was for Across the Dnepr 2, as I wrote an AAR for it, even though that was a few months after I signed up.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 5/5/2013 9:34:30 AM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 37
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 10:54:17 AM   
Hertston

I can't recall either. The earliest game I have registered is Starshatter (2004), but I'm fairly sure I bought box copies of Korsun Pocket and Titans of Steel before that. Do they go back to 2002?

42 registered Matrix games or add-ons now. Bloody hell.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 38
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 11:46:13 AM   
Yogi the Great

If I remember correctly (which seems to be a growing problem with growing older) the game that brought me to Matrix Frist was "Forge of Freedom". Matrix had the game at the time (2007). I found the forum at about the same time and gave it a try. I was also looking for a good forum to be part of. A forum I was involved in had become quite the example of political, religious and personal fights. It was much better over here.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 39
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 11:47:51 AM   
Matti Kuokkanen

Looks like I registered in early 2004. One guy was making a game all by himself, and I took part to beta testing & feedback. He got contract of sorts with Matrix Games. So he closed his forum and opened new forum around these forums. Been around ever since, though I've took some times off. Game in question is (was) Starshatter Ultimate Space Combat (newest version goes by name Starshatter: The Gathering Storm). Earlier this year I got itch for computer wargaming and came looking for recommendations. I tried Panzer Corps demo, but ended up buying & downloading TOAW3. Now if I had time to play it... But I need get back to work now, and it's sunday!

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 12:18:06 PM   
Mobeer

I was already playing Pacific War and War in Russia before finding Matrix Games. Bought a couple of games in shops (Uncommon Valour and Eric Young's Squad Assault:West Front). First thing downloaded from Matrix was updated Pacific War and War in Russia. My earliest purchases were all shop purchases (War in the Pacific, War Plan Orange); didn't buy online until more recently.

(in reply to Matti Kuokkanen)
Post #: 41
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 5:58:53 PM   
DampSquib

Purchased a flight sim, inside was a advert for Titans of Steel Warring Suns.
Brought that then Eric Young's Squad Assault Westfront.
Didn't join until much later.

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 42
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 7:52:19 PM   
reg113

In 2002 was surfing around for news about War in Russia, found Matrix Games.

"Life's a b***h, then you die."

(in reply to DampSquib)
Post #: 43
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 8:36:31 PM   
Dragoon

I played all the 5-Star Series games up and down, except for Star General. Yikes! In my desperate search for something new but similar I came across Steel Panthers: World at War. Eventually I moved on to War in Russia, Pacific War (What an amazing game) and War in the Pacific AE.
Now with Panzer Corps the cycle is complete. :)

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 44
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 10:36:07 PM   
british exil

Played games with an Amiga 500, Korean Peninsula, being my first real wargame. Amiga faded out but didn't have any money for a new pc after my car accident and tons of debt due to the accident.
Years later I met my Gf and she let me use her pc, while she was working 6 months in France. Bought Tillers War in the West, played most night after work for 6 hrs. Had no idea about Matrix. Then I bought and old pc and found Uncommon Valour for a discount price bought the game. Started the game and had no idea how to play it. Used my dial up modem to find help. Matrix was discovered.

Read the forums, had the nerve to post. Signed up and enjoyed the forums ever since. And yes my gf still lets me play the games I've bought, although I tell her, it's hard work ordering troops around a battlefield, counting the losses and feeling deep dispair for the fallen commrades.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Dragoon)
Post #: 45
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/5/2013 11:08:37 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

I bought Uncommon Valor at a retail store when it was a new release that I happened to spot and that led me to Matrix.

My story too.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 46
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/6/2013 10:00:06 AM   
Anguille

Not sure what brought me here first and i am not even sure if this is my fist account. In the beginning of the 2000's, i was mostly active on MOO3's forum, Haemimont (Celtic Kings), the Wargamer and the Sunflowers forum (anno and Knights of Honor). I guess i first read about Matrix on the Wargamer. I was surely a lurker a long time before i posted here first but, as i was mostly buying on retail, i didn't buy anything initially.

Actually, my first indirect contact with Matrix has been through Slitherine. Spartan and Gates of Troy were the first games i bought on internet (not through amazon). I've been very present on the Slitherine forums from 2004 to the release of Commander Europe at War (still present but less now). Another game that brough me inderectely was when Reach for the stars was rereleased. I already had the game but was looking forward to the new patch (which i tested on SSG's site).

The first real games i bought with a matrix logo on it were, if i remember correctely, Uncommon Valour (again) and Crown of Glory.

With less and less games available on retail, Matrix has become my main source for strategy games.

< Message edited by Anguille -- 5/6/2013 10:02:37 AM >

Armada 2526 Supernova and Distant Worlds - Legends: the ultimate space strategy games are HERE in the Matrix

Pushing it to the limits: an Armada 2526 AAR

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 47
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/6/2013 12:08:08 PM   
catwhoorg

Being a great Xcom fan from back in the, I was pointed to UFO: Extraterrestrials.
Matrix had the US rights to sell it, so here I came.

Didn't really start posting until I picked up Panzer Corps a few years later.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 48
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/6/2013 1:50:46 PM   
rwenstrup

Steel Panthers free offering...and it's still my favorite game!

Over the main entrance to a beautiful manor built in Germany in 1748: "When we live in peace we make buildings such as this...when we make war we tear them down"

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 49
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/6/2013 4:46:14 PM   
parusski

Ah, I meant to post a response much earlier.

THE INTERNET, OF COURSE.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 50
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/6/2013 6:11:19 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

I bought Uncommon Valor at a retail store when it was a new release that I happened to spot and that led me to Matrix ...

Same here, and the store was Electronics Boutique, but good luck finding a Matrix title there now among all the console titles.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 51
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/6/2013 6:57:47 PM   
Perturabo

I came here with the Simtek's testing team in 2007 or something like that.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 52
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/7/2013 1:55:05 AM   
LRRP

What is pushing me to leave is the direction Slitherine is taking. I can say this with some authority since I have bought over 20 Matrix Games.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 53
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/7/2013 1:58:56 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Uncommon Valor

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 54
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/7/2013 5:14:18 AM   
Dragoon

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

THE INTERNET, OF COURSE.

I'm surprised no one yet mentioned a Google search for "Australian Beauties".

I never use the search function on the forums. Because my problems are always unique and people are interested to hear about them.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 55
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/7/2013 6:20:02 AM   
willy

Steel Panthers. I bought a PC gamer mag many years back with a disc included. Steel Panthers game along with all the other demos etc... As a ASL Acolyte, it just seemed natural. I believe there was an article about Corregidor written by William Trotter in there too.

I think I bought it at a gas station in Burns Lake on my Way to Hazelton BC.

"It's just the sort of bloody silly name they would choose!"
-Reginald Mitchell upon being told of the Air Ministry decision to call his new fighter aircraft the Spitfire.

(in reply to Dragoon)
Post #: 56
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/7/2013 8:07:20 AM   
Bonners

I never knew PC wargames existed until last year. I'd searched for ever trying to find something more involved than the likes of Total War and Civilization games. A biking buddy suggested I try out Steel Panthers. I followed a download he suggested but couldnt get it to work, that led me here trying to find a solution. Eventually ended up buying Panzer Corps and went form there. I've still to figure out how to get Steel Panthers to work though

EDIT: ...and imagine my shock when I found out that they are working on a pc version of World in Flames. Only ever played the whole game once, lived in a shared student house and me and one of my mates spent an entire Summer playing the game using two rooms to have the whole thing set up with all the expansions. IIRC we eventually had to abandon the game in about Summer 1944 when the rest of our housemates returned from Summer hols.

< Message edited by Bonners -- 5/7/2013 8:10:14 AM >

(in reply to willy)
Post #: 57
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/8/2013 10:55:21 PM   
Joe 98

Close Combat 5 was released in late 2000. Soon after the developer, Atomic Games, closed.

Matrix Games was purportedly working on the next installment so I came here.

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 58
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/9/2013 12:24:17 AM   
BASB

I'm not really sure either. I had played Steel panthers and Panzer general well before coming to the the site. I have a feeling like some others, it was Uncommon Valour that brought me to the site, but not really sure

< Message edited by BASB -- 5/9/2013 12:25:24 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 59
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/9/2013 3:23:23 AM   
RangerX3X

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragoon

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

THE INTERNET, OF COURSE.

I'm surprised no one yet mentioned a Google search for "Australian Beauties".

For the record I referred to the "Australian Boob Thread"

(in reply to Dragoon)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI