Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What Brought You To Matrix Games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What Brought You To Matrix Games Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 2:50:29 AM   
warspite1

Interesting subject particularly in light of the discussions recently on the niche aspect of wargaming and reaching out to a larger audience. So:

QUESTION

What brought people to Matrix Games?

For me it was back in 2008. I have an interest in military history - particularly WWII and Napoleonic Wars - and had been an avid board game wargamer from my late teens. This culminated in finding World In Flames - greatest game ever. Family commitments effectively ended that hobby but computer wargaming - starting with Civiiization and then John Tiller's Napoleonic games (Waterloo and War In Russia(?)) - took over.

I only stumbled across Matrix by accident through the World In Flames website. I saw the MWIF forum and that was that = been here on the Matrix forums ever since. I have bought a few games while waiting for MWIF - favourite has to be CTGW - but essentially I am filling in the time until the Holy Grail arrives.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

Post #: 1
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 3:37:54 AM   
rogo727

I came to matrix and saw the great mr W. joined ten minutes later.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 5/4/2013 3:41:01 AM >

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 3:54:40 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I came to matrix and saw the great mr W. joined ten minutes later.
warspite1

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 3
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 3:54:44 AM   
**budd**

I don't even remember, but it had something to do with steel panthers. That was all they had back then. Played that game for over a decade straight, for some reason i just can't play it anymore. The place sure has grown alot since then.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 4
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 4:02:10 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

I don't even remember, but it had something to do with steel panthers. That was all they had back then. Played that game for over a decade straight, for some reason i just can't play it anymore. The place sure has grown alot since then.
warspite1

Were you originally around before 2009 then?

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 5
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 4:08:22 AM   
**budd**

guested for around 8 to 10 years before joining, if i rememeber correctly. It was all Steel Panthers, that's what started this place.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 4:13:48 AM   
flanyboy

Back in 2006, right around when I was graduating high-school, I stumbled across Gary Grigsby's Pacific War, the game was a free download (probably never would have paid for something like that back then) and played it virtually non stop 3-4 hours a night for a week or two, then found War in the East and did the same. Maybe a month or two later while looking for more information on those games I stumbled across War in the Pacific, purchased it, and I've been here ever since. And yes you read that right, I came to Matrix while in High School.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 7
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 4:24:09 AM   
Vasquez

Hard to say 13 years later. I think it was the same reason as **budd** (Steel Panthers World @ War). I was a huge fan of the series in the 90s.

KP, BiN, BiI, HttR, TOAWIII, Campaign Series, GoA, AGEOD:ACW, CC:TLD,CC:WaR, Advanced Tactics, FoF, CoG:EE,
GG:WAW, GG:WbtS, GG:EDtBtR, GG:WitE, WitP:AE, GB:M, PzCorps, Scourge of War Series, AP:OS, C:TGW

http://7idGaming.de

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 8
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 4:53:14 AM   
baloo7777

I found Matrix Games about 5 years ago or so. I had Steel Panthers and played from disc on my WIN 98 computer and loved the game. I bought a new computer in 2005 with Win XP and was unable to play the game. I think I googled wargames or something like it and one of the sites was Matrix Games. When I looked at the games available, I saw Steel Panthers - Generals Edition (free I think)! I now have quite a few games from Matrix!

JRR

(in reply to Vasquez)
Post #: 9
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 5:49:36 AM   
Agathosdaimon

The great range and the sense that you know that Matrix Games works with and listens to its community and so i have come to expect a high standard now from their Games. I like also that they pick up and resurrect some old games - such as the Close Combat series, Harpoon editions, and John Tiller's games.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 10
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 5:59:56 AM   
H Gilmer

I was looking for a copy of Pacwar and put it in the search engine and it took me here. It had been so long since I played it that I was looking at War in the Pacific and thinking that was Pacwar. I eventually asked and was straightened out. Pacwar and War in Russia were free, but I ended up getting War in the Pacific, too. It looks like Forge of Freedom was my first purchase, though.

< Message edited by H Gilmer -- 5/4/2013 6:00:46 AM >

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 11
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 6:31:12 AM   
terje439

I found Uncommon Valor in a bin for 2$, picked it up, installed it, and did not have a clue what I was supposed to do. So I looked at the box, and found the adress to the website, came here and stayed after that really.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 12
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 7:55:40 AM   
rhondabrwn

I seem to remember the free download of Steel Panthers... and then the ads for "Uncommon Valor"...

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Want Navajo Nation Photos? Go to:
http://fardareismai.piczo.com/?cr=4&rfm=y

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 13
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 8:00:39 AM   
Alan Sharif

I was a board wargame player and migrated to PC's when I brought my first one.

A Sharif

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 14
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 8:03:45 AM   
Kineas

It was SPWAW, around 2000. It took almost a night to download the 150M(?) release on a dialup modem...

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 15
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 8:31:08 AM   
Orm

I joined the Matrix Forum because I wanted to post on the MWIF forum. Before I posted I had lurked there for several years.

I became aware of Matrix games around year 2000 because of SPWAW and WIR:ME. First Matrix games I bought was Uncommon Valor and Korsun Pocket (my local hobby store had them and I did not buy online back then). For around 5 years Matrix games has been my primary source for computer games.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress. - Captain Eric Moody

(in reply to Kineas)
Post #: 16
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 12:49:18 PM   
shunwick

Interesting topic.

When I first got connected to the internet in 2006, the very first thing I did was search for TOAW II. I was looking to see if there were any patches for it because it would not run correctly on my xp desktop. The search brought up Matrix and TOAW III which they had released a couple of months earlier. That was when I knew for certain that God exists and that he loves me.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 17
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 12:51:15 PM   
meskary

It was uncommon valor that I found this site, played Steel Panthers, v for victory series, and of course Close Combat....Lurked for a while, and finally got the guts to post.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 18
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 1:09:39 PM   
jday305

I am a recent member of Matrix forums. I was a fan of war themed board games back in the 1980's and early 90's; mostly with squad leader and a few other types. I didn't even know that these types of games were available for the computer these days until I bought Unity of Command from the Steam website last year. I was curious after playing the game if there were other simular games out there and discovered the Matrix website. Needless to say, I am a big fan now and hope to play their games for years to come.

RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

(in reply to meskary)
Post #: 19
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 2:12:28 PM   
wodin

Combat leader and Close Assault.....

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to jday305)
Post #: 20
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 2:31:39 PM   
Chickenboy

Came to Matrix originally due to Uncommon Valor, circa 2002. I registered and then ignored the website for the most part until 2005-2006. Then I started lurking on the War in the Pacific site. I think my second post was when I joined the community of WiTP:AE as a 'regular', somewhere around 2009. Since then, I've been a forum rat.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 21
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 3:34:58 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Incipient senility is preventing me from remembering just when my first incarnation here began - it was so far in the past. But I seem to recall that some of the discussion on the old Talonsoft board migrated over to the old General Discussion forum at Matrix (a predecessor to this one) sometime in the late '90s. That old forum was before monitors and such and became extremely political and not for the easily offended. So much so, that Matrix eventually outsourced it (there had been a link to it here, not sure what happened to it), but I dropped out before that occurred, it had become so nasty.

I then returned when Matrix got the deal to upgrade TOAW back in 2004 - but couldn't remember my old password, so had to create a new username & such.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 22
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 4:39:54 PM   
Sarge

I was working on a title the Matix published

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 23
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 6:04:21 PM   
madflava13

Pacwar, then Steel Panthers, then UV led to WiTP, which led to WiTP:AE... Throw in Bombing the Reich at some point... Distant Worlds, Forge of Freedom....

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 24
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 6:08:31 PM   
warspite1

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond guys - just to be clear I was most interested to know how you found Matrix.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 25
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 7:10:56 PM   
junk2drive

2001 there was a section in PC Gamer for war games written by Jim Trotter IIRC? There was an article for the top free games and SPWAW was listed. I came here and had to download the game overnight. Around 425mb at that time. I had never posted in a forum before and lurked for a long time in the SPWAW forum until I had to join and post something. Eventually I play tested some scenarios for Wild Bill Wilder. Great experience. I left to play Combat Mission in late 2003 and didn't spend much time at Matrix until 2006 when I lost my job. With too much free time waiting for a new job, I signed up for testing Panzer Command. Since then I have worked on 5 or 6 more games here.

There is a disturbance in the force since Slith took over. It will be different now around here but worth coming to never the less.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 7:40:30 PM   
Josh

+1 to what some other guys here say; Steel Panthers brought me here.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 27
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 7:47:52 PM   
Tallyman662

Uncommon Valor after tracking down the original Pacific War.

Tallyman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 28
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 7:52:38 PM   
RedArgo

steel panthers for me too

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 29
RE: What Brought You To Matrix Games - 5/4/2013 9:18:20 PM   
hadberz

SPWaW! Nuff said.

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What Brought You To Matrix Games Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI