If you are thinking of buying DW check out this vid

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

sanderz

If you are thinking of buying DW check out this vid

Post by sanderz »

Quill18 Youtube channel has just put up a vid introducing Distant Worlds - this guy has 75,000 subscribers so lots of free publicity for the game as well.

Quill18 has a great strategy game channel - one of his other vids explains that Paradox are flying him out to Sweden to check out EU4!! - they seem to realize how important some of these Youtube channels can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_fN9P0x44
Antiscamp

RE: If you are thinking of buying DW check out this vid

Post by Antiscamp »

Yeah, that was a pretty good explanation of Distant Worlds. I hope it generates some more interest for this game.
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

Excellent, more of this sort of publicity is important for DW [8D]

Interesting, hope someone at Matrix is looking at the numerous comments about the price...[;)]
Mansen

Post by Mansen »

I just came here from Quill's video being a huge fan of the 4X Universe genre - though I'll be honest the price tag makes me uncertain whether to get into this or not. (Which I'm sure is not an uncommon mindset among Quill's viewers as we speak)

Maybe when the new expansion is released we'll see a slight sale of the basegame and older expansions? Might be enough to tide me over. [:)]
Currently Working On:
X-Universe Conversion (Hiatus)
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

The guys really good.I love the moo2 ones too.
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Antiscamp

Yeah, that was a pretty good explanation of Distant Worlds. I hope it generates some more interest for this game.

I thought something was up. I suddenly got a whack of new subscribers to my Youtube channel in the last couple hours.

I've been subscribed to Quill for a while now. It was good to see him looking at DW. It should give the game a good boost. :)
Alexandus

Post by Alexandus »

ORIGINAL: StarLab
ORIGINAL: Antiscamp

I thought something was up. I suddenly got a whack of new subscribers to my Youtube channel in the last couple hours.

I've been subscribed to Quill for a while now. It was good to see him looking at DW. It should give the game a good boost. :)

StarLab, I was just watching most of your videos, loved the LP, hope to see more of them!
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: Mansen

I just came here from Quill's video being a huge fan of the 4X Universe genre - though I'll be honest the price tag makes me uncertain whether to get into this or not. (Which I'm sure is not an uncommon mindset among Quill's viewers as we speak)

Maybe when the new expansion is released we'll see a slight sale of the basegame and older expansions? Might be enough to tide me over. [:)]
The Shadows expansion is expected to hit later this month. A previous pattern has been a sale on the base game and previous expansions whenever a new expansion comes out.

I don't know what is up their sleeve this time, but it may be worth to wait a few weeks if you want the game and want to save some money. A sale won't make the game cheap (most likely), but quite a bit less expensive.
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Alexandus
StarLab, I was just watching most of your videos, loved the LP, hope to see more of them!

I'll definitely be doing more, but it's just a question of when at this point. Life has me quite busy these days...
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

at 19:25. That's kindof epic to get that [Spoiler] event within those few minutes of game time. [:D]

edit//
Never mind - just rewatched it - that not that big event after all. Still kindof unusual isnt it?
MrStolpe

Post by MrStolpe »

I've been watching Quill for a long time now and I'm really interested in this game. My main problem is the pricing.

Also have they stated if they are going to ever release the game on steam or GOG?
Alexandus

Post by Alexandus »

ORIGINAL: StarLab

I'll definitely be doing more, but it's just a question of when at this point. Life has me quite busy these days...

I understand, life keeps me busy as well, its why I stopped doing a podcast a year ago, was barely getting off the ground when work stepped in and took a lot of my free time.

Now that I have a little free time again, I dont think I would want to get into the MMO scene, but rather a game like Distant Worlds, a game where it could last weeks or even months if you let it and just come back to it for an hour or two each day, when I can.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Regardless of what any of us say here the cost barrier for entry is too high.

Especially as DW on it's own has many flaws and requires the expansions to work as intended.

For the record I'm an owner of the full set. I earn a lot of money, but even so it took me a long time to spend that kind of cash on a game!
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

Hey Bleek, have you got any spare money?? [:D]
doozie

Post by doozie »

Bleek I completely agree with your assesment of the (somewhat) ridiculous price on this game. They're probably scaring off a good amount of possible sales and another portion is probably just pirating the game to test it out.

Matrix must have the mentality of companies like Adobe *shudder*, they're certainly stunting the games growth in the name of "niche gaming". The results could be much different if they priced competitively, right now it DEFINITELY isn't competitively priced (two $5 discounts on DLC just doesn't cut it if you didn't know).

Their pricing lost them a sale today from me. I'll keep an eye on this game but I don't expect it to be a sale as these guys seem pretty damn stubborn on their prices.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Hey Bleek, have you got any spare money?? [:D]

If you're prepared to work for it, but it's dirty work...

[X(][:D]
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: doozie
Their pricing lost them a sale today from me. I'll keep an eye on this game but I don't expect it to be a sale as these guys seem pretty damn stubborn on their prices.

The problem for you as a new comer is the base game + expansions (including the 3rd due soon) makes the cost very high!

Hopefully they'll run a 'full set' promo once Shadows is released.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”