Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

adding text to map?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> adding text to map? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
adding text to map? - 4/30/2013 4:35:41 AM   
Vanman

Is it possible to add text to the map? Let's say I want to add Vyazma to the map a few hexes west of Moscow. Is that possible? Note, I realize I cannot add it as an actual city.
Post #: 1
RE: adding text to map? - 4/30/2013 11:08:53 AM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vanman

Is it possible to add text to the map? Let's say I want to add Vyazma to the map a few hexes west of Moscow. Is that possible? Note, I realize I cannot add it as an actual city.

as I understand it you cant. but if it is a historical imported city then, it can be added by the team.

Peyton manning is a God and the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

(in reply to Vanman)
Post #: 2
RE: adding text to map? - 4/30/2013 6:31:20 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vanman

Yes. You can add the actual city too if you want. The former has no effect on game play but the latter obviously does.

Patrice added hundreds of names to the map and has written up how to do so in the Players Manual:

11.2.1.5 Labels data
This file lists all the labels that are displayed on the map. These include the names for the countries, cities, and ports. It is also used to position the icons within each hex: resources, factories, cities, and ports. There are 12 data fields in each record, starting with the label ID #, followed by the hex’s column and row numbers. The next two fields are offsets for the label’s positioning from the upper left corner of the rectangle within which the hex is inscribed. Fields 6 through 9 are for the positions of the icons for: city, port, factory, and resource. The last 3 fields are the color code, size, and text for the label.

The label ID # is crucial because it is used by the terrain file (see section 11.2.1.8) to determine where the icons (city, port, factory, and resource) should be positioned within a hex.

The row and column numbers are exclusively for the placement of the label. Note that labels usually start in one hex and continue across one or more additional hexes, depending on their length and font size. Each hex is positioned within a rectangle that is 136 pixels wide by 152 pixels high. The hexagon (a.k.a., hex) has its left and right edges flat against the left and right sides of the rectangle. The top vertex is in the middle of the top edge of the rectangle, and comparably for the bottom vertex.

This design allows great flexibility in where labels are placed, through the use of the two offsets. The offsets are measured from the upper left corner of the rectangle (0,0). The scale is 0 to 67 wide and 0 to 75 high; or to put it another way, each number in the offset counts as two pixels. An offset of (10, 38) would position the upper left corner of the label at the pixel 22 across and 78 down. The pixel 78 down from the top would be half way down within the hexagon. The pixel 22 across would be about 1/6 of the way across.

Icon positions range from 0 to 25. 0 is the center of the hex. Positions 1 through 12 are at the clock positions 1 through 12, 2/3 of the distance from the center towards the edge. Positions 13 through 24 are similar but halfway between the center and the edge. Note that the higher numbers are closer to the center. Position 25 is used exclusively for routing rail lines through the center of the hex.

It is quite possible for a NAM data record to have all blanks in the 4 icon fields. Or, they could use all 4 fields. The size (width by height) of the different icons are:
• City = 22 by 22 pixels
• Capital city = 34 by 34 pixels
• Factory, 1 stack = 14 by 32 pixels
• Factory, 2 stacks = 24 by 32 pixels
• Factory, 3 stacks = 34 by 32 pixels
• Resource = 30 by 30 pixels
• Oil = 30 by 30 pixels
• Ports, all types = 30 by 30 pixels
• Rail line = 6 pixels wide

The color codes are:
1. Black
2. Dark red
3. Green
4. Brown
5. Navy blue
6. Violet
7. Blue-green
8. Silver
9. Gray
10. Red
11. Bright green
12. Yellow
13. Blue
14. Fuchsia
15. Aqua blue
16. White

The text sizes are doubled to get the pixel height of the font. A text size of 10 would be 20 pixels high. There are standard usages for sizes and colors of labels, as shown in the following table.

SEE SCREENSHOT

Multiple names in the same hex are fine, though each has to have its own record entry, of course. In order to position a resource on the map without a label, use 0 as the size of the label and enter ‘none’ for the label’s text.

The maximum number of labels in this file is 8100. There are 8191 positions but those last 91 are reserved for the sea area names, which are not part of the NAM file. New names can be inserted into any ‘holes’ created by removing names, but don’t move the old names around since it has unpredictable results. You cannot completely remove any entries from this file. Leave a vacuous entry behind: “xxx, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,None”.

There are many reserved names in the game (e.g., Sian, all the objective cities). If you change the names of places willy-nilly, there is a good chance that the program stop working completely. Should that occur, restore the original data files.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Vanman)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> adding text to map? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI