Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reload Ship Ammo?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Reload Ship Ammo? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reload Ship Ammo? - 4/30/2013 3:44:26 AM   
GungaDin

Yes - I've scanned the manual but I don't get how to reload ammo onto my warships? i have returned them to their English ports and they have been in port for weeks and yes - England does have some ammo stocks - so how do I reload the big guns?
Post #: 1
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 4/30/2013 12:28:52 PM   
operating

Try buying ammunition production points. The same ammunition production points you recieve every turn apply to both artillery and battleships. if you use up those points every turn just in artillery it leaves none for the battleships to do bombbardments of shore targets. The reverse also happens, if you use up all your ammunition points doing bombardments with battleships, thus leaving no points for artillery. You are going to assess what is your highest priority targets are. As far as ship to ship combat, ammunition is a non factor, as far as I know or experienced, also I beleive, that subs and cruisers do not need to be reloaded, they are always in supply.

(in reply to GungaDin)
Post #: 2
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 4/30/2013 3:32:02 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: GungaDin

Yes - I've scanned the manual but I don't get how to reload ammo onto my warships? i have returned them to their English ports and they have been in port for weeks and yes - England does have some ammo stocks - so how do I reload the big guns?

One other thing; it takes 6 ammo points for a battleship to do bombardment, if the battleship is damaged it will use less points to attack shoreline hexes, also it would be less effective.

If you have enough ammo points you don't need to return to a friendly port to reload.

(in reply to GungaDin)
Post #: 3
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 4/30/2013 4:44:39 PM   
GungaDin

Ok but I don't see where you 'buy' more ammo. I did focus my research on ammo but that will take a while. But basicllay if my nation has ammo and my ship is in port i should eventually get replenished...and that ammo is ONLY for shore bombardment? Thanks.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 4
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 4/30/2013 5:14:58 PM   
Jonathan Pollard

Your ships are assumed to have ammo as long as your national stockpile consists of 6 or more ammo points. Being in port has no relevance to their ammo status. Also, remember that only battleships can use ammo to strategically bombard coastal targets. If you try to bombard with cruisers, a shore bombardment simply will not happen. And yes, the ammo is only for shore bombardment, fighting other ships at sea does not use up any ammo. Also, the British battleships cannot bombard cities in northern Germany because they have to be right next to their targets, and this is not possible due to the presence of the port hex which cannot be entered.

< Message edited by Jonathan Pollard -- 4/30/2013 5:20:05 PM >

(in reply to GungaDin)
Post #: 5
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 4/30/2013 5:22:40 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: GungaDin

Ok but I don't see where you 'buy' more ammo. I did focus my research on ammo but that will take a while. But basicllay if my nation has ammo and my ship is in port i should eventually get replenished...and that ammo is ONLY for shore bombardment? Thanks.

Where you expand your factories and laboratories, there is one for ammunition. Increasing that one will increase the ammount of ammo you get into your stockpile per turn. As far as I recall, ammo is used by bombers, arty and battleships.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to GungaDin)
Post #: 6
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 4/30/2013 5:28:15 PM   
Jonathan Pollard

Also, keep in mind that the ammo portion of a cruiser's information will always read "0" because it's not allowed to bombard, and a battleship will always have "6" as its ammo statistic regardless of how much ammo you have in your national stockpile, because 6 is how much ammo you use when you do a shore bombardment with a full-strength unit. At least it's how much you're supposed to use, there's a bug in bombarding cities like Cattaro and Split where you can bombard them without using any ammo whatsoever, assuming the cities don't have any ground units in them.

< Message edited by Jonathan Pollard -- 4/30/2013 5:32:41 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 7
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 4/30/2013 6:04:32 PM   
GungaDin

Thanks to all who answered here. I'm off to mo my duty!

(in reply to Jonathan Pollard)
Post #: 8
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 5/1/2013 4:39:59 AM   
operating

Add one more to terje439 list of units that utilize ammo stockpile; airships/zepplins- they use 2 or more ammo points when attacking.

(in reply to GungaDin)
Post #: 9
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 5/8/2013 9:13:01 PM   
kirk23

I think the time has come for ships to use ammo supply in naval combat, just like they do for coastal bombardment missions, plus since its very easy to have ships at sea constantly, month after month or until they are sunk, this has to be stopped, this is supposed to be ww1 and as far as I'm aware the ships did not have nuclear power. Implementing the requirement to return to port to rearm would fix this problem once and for all,plus as an added bonus it would stop ships slugging it out, until one side was destroyed completely which is not historical in anyway shape or form.

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 5/8/2013 9:21:34 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 10
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 5/9/2013 9:18:18 AM   
operating

I use subs vigorously and in ever increasing numbers (often 8 or so) against AI. When I first started playing the game, truly expected to run out of torpedos (anticipating having to find a port to resupply) but that never happened. Odd yes, a little gamey yes, but what I found was a little weird was to return to port for tech upgrades, then again, that's rational! As well as returning to port for repairs. What I did rationalize to myself was that while in port for upgrades/repairs the subs were also resuppling torpedos, a very simple example. In the end, I don't expect any major changes soon to the Naval part of this game.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 11
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 5/9/2013 5:32:14 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

I use subs vigorously and in ever increasing numbers (often 8 or so) against AI. When I first started playing the game, truly expected to run out of torpedos (anticipating having to find a port to resupply) but that never happened. Odd yes, a little gamey yes, but what I found was a little weird was to return to port for tech upgrades, then again, that's rational! As well as returning to port for repairs. What I did rationalize to myself was that while in port for upgrades/repairs the subs were also resuppling torpedos, a very simple example. In the end, I don't expect any major changes soon to the Naval part of this game.

It's not that I forgot about the U Boats, also having a never ending supply of torpedoes, Germany used Milch Cow submarines in 1941 to resupply at sea, I think the game got locked in a time tunnel somewhere along the lines, because you have ships & submarines that can stay at sea indefinitely, with unlimited fuel and supplies, I think the game being abstract is, taken a bit too extreme here, I think its more like a work off fiction. I mean nuclear powered ww1 warships brilliant, it can only happen in an abstracted game!

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 5/9/2013 5:44:42 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 12
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 5/9/2013 7:46:42 PM   
kirk23

Its far easier to upgrade, repair and resupply, land & air force units in the game, because there are cities, with road & rail networks in place, but at sea that cannot happen for naval units, to upgrade and repair the ships in game they have to return to port, which is logical and accurate. What is not accurate is the fact that naval units are deemed to be in constant supply at sea, this time period in history, it was impossible to resupply fuel & ammunition at sea, they had to return to port, so I feel its only right that combat vessel's should return to the nearest friendly port to rearm etc.

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 5/9/2013 7:52:38 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 13
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 5/9/2013 8:54:48 PM   
Jonathan Pollard

In order to encourage ships to stay in port and to simulate the use of fuel by the ships (and to make it less attractive to disband warships), I think that when ships stay in port their maintenance costs should be 0, and be charged maintenance only when they start or end their turn at sea.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 14
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 5/9/2013 10:45:30 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonathan Pollard

In order to encourage ships to stay in port and to simulate the use of fuel by the ships (and to make it less attractive to disband warships), I think that when ships stay in port their maintenance costs should be 0, and be charged maintenance only when they start or end their turn at sea.

Excellent idea, zero maintenance while ships are inactive in port, as you say the perfect solution for the Central Powers player, Germany keeps its ships in port as a constant threat, while implementing its U Boat campaign, once again history repeats its self, and the gamer has no need to disband the ships because they are costing nothing for upkeep while in port.

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 5/9/2013 10:47:12 PM >

Make it so!

Post #: 15
RE: Reload Ship Ammo? - 5/9/2013 10:50:40 PM   
operating

What I came to accept, is the way the game was meant to operate by the developers. Correct me if I am wrong; If the game was to be historically correct in every aspect it would have been infinitely more complex to bring into fruition, driving up the time involved , along with cost, ultimately more than what we pay now. Up to now, most of the changes have been easy fixes, new ports, added ships, blockade(?), unit values, map stuff, ect., but not the way the game operates IMO. I don't claim to be an expert, nor, anything even close to it, however, I can only imagine the difficulty in changing the way this game operates. If it's not a big deal to alter things to the players wishes, that would be great. What I would like to hear from the developers; Is what area s that they would actually change, to suit everyone's suggestions?

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Reload Ship Ammo? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI