Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/29/2013 7:05:41 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'm referring to the former Governor of your neighboring state, Mark Sanford. He had this story he was hiking the Appalachian trail when he was actually in Argentina cheating on his wife.

Darwin has his eye on me.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 31
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/29/2013 8:08:57 PM   
USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

<snip>

The AE Forumites discuss topics like "lost loves" and "who's really responsible for the loss at Gettysburg" intelligently and with good humor and grace, seldom if ever uttering a harsh word.

<snip>

Canoe, you're confused. Gettysburg was a resounding victory!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 32
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/29/2013 8:34:41 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST Express

Could give a hoot about the price, I love the game. The forum is interesting most of the time too.

+1

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 33
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/29/2013 9:49:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I just wrote a $17,000 check to the IRS, $7,000 to the county, $1,500 to Allstate and $212 every month the HOA. I don't ever recall having warm fuzzies about any of those "investments". On the other hand, AE is the best wargame ever invented and I have spent at least 1000 hours enjoying the thing. I even bought 2 copies because my computer crashed and I did not want to wait 3 days to get a new copy of the game.

That works out to less than 17 cents per hour. I just spent the equivalent of the purchase price of the game to go deep sea fishing. I got seasick and didn't catch anything.

What kind of loser does one have to be to complain about the cost of a game online? Really?

I will lay cash money that half of the complainers are sales clerks at head shops and the domestic ones are probably texting their complainst from their Obamaphones.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 34
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 12:10:30 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

What kind of loser does one have to be to complain about the cost of a game online? Really?

Well, I am jealous. But don't feel too bad for me. My lot in life is looking up. I'm moving into a larger cardboard box and I'm adding a sunroom made of newspapers.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 35
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 12:29:44 AM   
Skyros

Interesting tidbit from that discussion.

As was explained at release, the reference to the tutorial was an editing error. The 300+ page manual, largest we've still printed to date (until World in Flames is released), is there for you though. That said, a new manual is actually in the works for AE, and hopefully will be ready before the next reprint.

AE was a community project from start to finish, so I think it's fair to say that without some very talented and skilled members of the commmunity, AE would not even exist. While we at Matrix and 2by3 love WITP at that point 2by3 did not have time to revisit WITP on their own. I think the number of folks who are playing it speaks to the fact that it can be learned just fine. Figuring out how to play it is not that hard - playing it well is much more challenging and experience and discussion with other players is the best aid there. A new tutorial or larger manual would be of limited use, there's only so much that can really be explained without practice.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/29/2013 6:27:59 PM >

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development and Business Relations

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to dutchman55555)

Post #: 36
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 12:36:20 AM   
MineSweeper

AE best game - best forum.....nuff said

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 37
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 12:41:29 AM   
AW1Steve

I'd happily pay 3 times as much for an new version. And am very happy with the price of the current. Anybody notice that the card board counter version that this game was based on sells for over $400!

I rarely pay attention to the general fourms, unless directed there by my fellow WITP fans. Sometimes when I visit them I feel my IQ dropping just by reading them.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to MineSweeper)
Post #: 38
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 12:44:50 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

Well, I am jealous. But don't feel too bad for me. My lot in life is looking up. I'm moving into a larger cardboard box and I'm adding a sunroom made of newspapers.

Oh, that sounds lovely! Maybe some M C Escher prints to round things out?

Post #: 39
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 12:48:09 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I forgot to mention the educational value of AE. For example, I never knew that Aden was an 80x40 mile walled fortress with an absolutely lovely 500 mile long reflecting pond!

I'd very much like to visit.

Post #: 40
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 2:19:01 AM   
denisonh

+1
quote:

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

AE best game - best forum.....nuff said

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to MineSweeper)
Post #: 41
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 2:27:33 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

That said, a new manual is actually in the works for AE, and hopefully will be ready before the next reprint.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development and Business Relations

Didn't know that, good news. I hope they offer the manual separately.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 4/30/2013 2:28:12 AM >

Pax

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 42
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 2:51:03 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

No such luck. Every once in a while MOMA sends an agent around to look at my graffiti on the inside of my box. When there's no room for any more they give me a bigger box and a new set of crayons. The things I do for culture. I will be expecting you for tea at 3 pm tomorrow, Mandrake.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 43
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 5:12:44 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No such luck. Every once in a while MOMA sends an agent around to look at my graffiti on the inside of my box. When there's no room for any more they give me a bigger box and a new set of crayons. The things I do for culture. I will be expecting you for tea at 3 pm tomorrow, Mandrake.

Bah, that's nonsense - newspapers! Everybody knows that reptiles need direct sunlight.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

Post #: 44
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 7:23:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

1. There is a small group of regulars who dominate the postings in the General Discussion forum.

2. That small group is smaller than the regulars who post on the AE forum and more often than not their posts are content free zones. There is very little cross forum postings.

3. AE regulars clearly spend time playing AE. For many of the General Discussion regulars, despite their often boisterous claims, it is not obvious that they actually spend much time playing games. Very few seem to be interested in the more complex Matrix games, nor do they seem to apply themselves to coping with complexity.

4. Far too many over there just like to bump up their post numbers. Consequently they love to repeat ad infinitum sterile positions, tilting at windmills (as if the current Slitherine management is going to change any of the practices which they have run for the last decade), and availing themselves of being unnecessarily abusive to each other which they may think is humorous but in fact is not at all.

5. People come to the AE forum for assistance in how to play the game. Newbies generally receive prompt and polite attention. Most threads here are content full. This all sets a certain unspoken standard which is generally adhered to whereas there is no focus on the General Discussion forum.

6. I'm certain most of the AE regulars have a view on Sitherine's pricing policy. But it is a pointless subject to discuss. AE regulars don't regularly splurge out on buying too many other Matrix products per annum. The unit cost is high but the cost per gaming hour is incredibly low so what is the point of complaining. The amortisation cost of AE is incredible low; those on the General Discussion forum who complain have much higher amortisation costs because of the nature of the games they purchase and their too easy cast off approach.

7. I've tried to follow Slitherine's pricing arguments and they are just plain wrong but their error will not be obvious to them for several years. They conflate initial stock pricing with back catalogue pricing. They fail to directly address links to other game developers/publishers who demonstrate their product life cycle revenues which contradict Slitherine's position. Those are links to other so called "niche" markets/products too. No other industry operates how Slitherine claims market demand and supply operates. No marketing class supports Slitherine's assertions. But ultimately it is all irrelevant. If I want a game of the standard of AE I have no option but to come here (hint hint Symon there would be a true niche market for a commercial version of DaBabes) and because of the factors mentioned in point 6, the cost is acceptable.

8. And no, I'm not really interested in going over the same sterile arguments re pricing here.

Alfred
warspite1

Thanks for this fascinating insight into the world of the General Discussion Forum. You will be amazed to realise that some of us who frequent that forum can actually read. On second thoughts I suspect you knew that and can therefore only assume that you don't care how insulting your post was; full of sweeping generalisations and untruths.

quote:

and more often than not their posts are content free zones.

Really? Or may be you are confusing a bit of light-hearted fun with a content free zone.

Speaking for myself I have begun a few threads that have proved of interest and I think describing them as "content free zones" is unfair. Note: we are talking about a General Discussion Forum; i.e. General topics - not just war and wargames. Some of the threads that I have started (and are still going strong) are:

- Latest film/documentary/program you are watching
- Latest Book you are reading
- There is a football (soccer) thread and a Motor Racing thread.
- A music thread (not started by me) is one of the most popular.

Personally I have got a lot from these - the book thread and the music thread in particular where I have read/listened to books/music I would not ordinarily have done.

Admittedly the Australian Beauties thread CAN be largely described as a content free zone - but you may recall that when I brought WWII naval vessels into that thread, the response (with the exception of a few WITPAE regulars - for which much thanks) was staggeringly silent. Indeed one WITP-AE forum member decided to set up his own thread on the same subject here. Plain rude.

quote:

There is very little cross forum postings.

Well that is simply not true of the regulars such as myself, Orm and parusski to name just three. There are others.

quote:

For many of the General Discussion regulars, despite their often boisterous claims, it is not obvious that they actually spend much time playing games.

Thanks again, but wrong. parusski, Orm and myself have been/are beta testers for games. We are all players of a number of Matrix games.

quote:

Very few seem to be interested in the more complex Matrix games, nor do they seem to apply themselves to coping with complexity.

Please re-read that sentence and tell me you are not embarrassed by it. Could you be more condescending? Even if that was true, so what if complex games are not for everyone? BTW I don't think World In Flames is exactly beer and pretzels.... nor is WITE.

quote:

Far too many over there just like to bump up their post numbers

You know that do you? You would never raise the subject of that "heinous" crime with members of The Thread would you?

quote:

People come to the AE forum for assistance in how to play the game. Newbies generally receive prompt and polite attention. Most threads here are content full. This all sets a certain unspoken standard which is generally adhered to whereas there is no focus on the General Discussion forum.

Yes I would agree that in general this is a very, very good forum and this is one of five that I regularly visit. There is a great knowledge base here and I have had many a question answered by some of the more helpful people and had some good debates. I only got my sig line thanks to help provided by guys on this forum. However, this forum too has its ..er... "characters"....

Just to finish. Maybe one or two would consider visiting the GD forum occasionally. I am sure your input would be welcomed. There are a few that do already from time to time and their presence is very much appreciated.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/30/2013 7:49:47 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 45
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 7:54:17 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Re: the General Forum-I could take it or leave it. There are a few pleasant chaps. One of them, I'll just call him HMS Resolution1, is a very pleasant chap. Another, I'll call him Permanutsy, is also entertaining. Their banter makes the General Forum worth dipping an occasional toe into. 90% of the General Forum stuff is just tripe.

warspite1

An R-class???? Oh CB you cut me real deep

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 46
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 7:55:16 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I rarely pay attention to the general fourms, unless directed there by my fellow WITP fans. Sometimes when I visit them I feel my IQ dropping just by reading them.
warspite1

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 47
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 5:11:00 PM   
rockmedic109

I've never spent any real time on any of the other forums, so I am not competent to comment on them. WITP/AE forums has had a couple of people that I have used the green button on, but not many.

As for the price, I have no problem with paying for quality. If AE was not the best game and best supported game and most historical game all in one package, it would not cost as much because it wouldn't worth it. With the time I've spent on this game, I'd say it is underpriced. The mmore money they make the more likely they are to continue to produce great games and perhaps make another gem like AE.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 48
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 7:09:45 PM   
sventhebold

+1

SSgt USAF 84-91 F-15 Ops Puke 525 TFS & 7th TFS

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 49
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 8:05:51 PM   
House Stark

WITP: AE was by far the most expensive game I've ever bought, except perhaps Civilization 4 with all of its expansions. I have no idea how much time I've spent playing AE, but it's definitely in my top 3 games as far as that statistic is concerned. And I've only had it for two years. So yes, worth every penny.

(in reply to mullk)
Post #: 50
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 8:12:44 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109
WITP/AE forums has had a couple of people that I have used the green button on, but not many.

It's not easy being green.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 51
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 9:55:03 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
.... you don't care how insulting your post was; full of sweeping generalisations and untruths.....

Just to finish. Maybe one or two would consider visiting the GD forum occasionally. I am sure your input would be welcomed. There are a few that do already from time to time and their presence is very much appreciated.

Warspite1, in regard to your opening, wow you hit hard! But is it really constructive to do so?

And in relation to your last point, I simply don't know how people can find the time to keep up with all the stuff that goes on here let alone cross deck to other areas of the forum. There are only 24 hours in a day and I do like to spend some of them with wife and friends! But I'll try to peek into the GD forum as you have tweaked my interest. I for one can not even begin to generalize about the content of any other forum given that I've almost never been there! Wish me luck... Hal

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 52
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 4/30/2013 10:12:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
.... you don't care how insulting your post was; full of sweeping generalisations and untruths.....

Warspite1, in regard to your opening, wow you hit hard! But is it really constructive to do so?

And in relation to your last point, I simply don't know how people can find the time to keep up with all the stuff that goes on here let alone cross deck to other areas of the forum. There are only 24 hours in a day and I do like to spend some of them with wife and friends! But I'll try to peek into the GD forum as you have tweaked my interest. I for one can not even begin to generalize about the content of any other forum given that I've almost never been there! Wish me luck... Hal
warspite1

Constructive? Probably not, but it does reflect how strongly I feel about that post. If you think I was over the top, imagine how you would feel if I posted a similar comment about the WITP-AE forumites on the GD forum? I suspect you would be a tad miffed to at being so unfairly labelled.

The post was totally uncalled for.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 53
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 5/1/2013 3:38:50 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
Bah, that's nonsense - newspapers! Everybody knows that reptiles need direct sunlight.

You misunderstand, the newspaper is only the floor of my new sunroom. I also have a deck, it happens to double as the fire escape for another building. Ask Oscar the Grouch. He thinks my digs are rather palatial.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 54
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 5/1/2013 3:44:52 AM   
JeffK

quote:

quote:

Cardboard box, bottom of River?

Luxury!!!!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Post #: 55
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 5/1/2013 3:59:23 AM   
JeffK

While i think the pricing thread on the GD Forum got a bit over the top, I support Warspite's reaction to the post from Alfred ( and love the one straight after)

I love WITPAE and would pay more for a modernised engine and a WITPII.

A lot of what was said about the pricing is that Matrix/Slitherine (are they the same thing?) have continued to charge full price for an old game in a new label with promises of improvements to come, later, sometime down the track plus the ability to purchase the game cheaper elsewhere.

What would the reaction be if PACWAR or UV came out in a new wrapper and not much else changing and the price remaining the same as it was on original release?

Unfortunately, Matrix/Slitherine dont get out many original games, around half, maybe more, have been taken over from other retailers.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 56
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 5/1/2013 4:30:43 AM   
Terminus

It's all Slitherine now.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 57
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 5/1/2013 4:40:52 AM   
zuluhour

I think I saved five grand in bar tabs.

(in reply to mullk)
Post #: 58
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 5/1/2013 5:41:19 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It's all Slitherine now.

Yup. Still watching to see what that means .... undoubtedly there will some changes, but which direction?

Pax

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 59
RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... - 5/1/2013 7:21:51 AM   
JocMeister

I think it will more and more focus on "beer and pretzels" games that sells to a bigger market (like Panzer Corps) and earns bigger revenues.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Off Topic: WITP-AE forum members don't... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI