Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How is the AI ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How is the AI ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 4:07:30 AM   
mantrain

Just wondering if WITP AE has a good AI for single player? Also, how does this game compare to earlier versions, IE WITP 1 & 2.?
thanks
Post #: 1
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 6:10:46 AM   
mantrain

the unanswerable question...

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 2
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 7:34:40 AM   
Sredni

The ai is adequate... but it won't present any real challenge and is easy to break with a-historic play.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 3
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 8:54:02 AM   
JocMeister

Its a good training tool. Considering how complex the game is its actually pretty fantastic. But as Sredni says it can break pretty easily. I played the Jap AI for several years but never got past early 43 as the AI kind of just whittled down the longer I played.

I think when you have played the AI and its no longer any challenge its time to move on to PBEM!

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 4
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 10:39:37 AM   
Sardaukar

AI is decent, if you restrict yourself a bit and do not play wildly ahistorically. Multiple scripts also make it unlikely that you'd meet same exact strategy all the time.

Note also that AndyMac (the evil AI man) has updated his scripts lately.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 5
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 3:08:19 PM   
Treetop64

As long as you play "fair", as in realistically proportional to what might have been done in reality, then the AI can bring a proper fight. Andy's AI goes a long way to making the AI relevant.

"Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it"

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 6
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 4:35:16 PM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantrain

Just wondering if WITP AE has a good AI for single player? Also, how does this game compare to earlier versions, IE WITP 1 & 2.?
thanks

Ask Siri - she knows the AI personally...

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 7
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 7:03:05 PM   
mantrain

Well, thanks, I am still trying to learn the game. I have so many Matrix games, I have collected pretty much most the WW2 games. But every time I try and learn, the learning curve gets me and I end up playing something else. This has been going on for two years.

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 8
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 7:30:58 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

Well, thanks, I am still trying to learn the game. I have so many Matrix games, I have collected pretty much most the WW2 games. But every time I try and learn, the learning curve gets me and I end up playing something else. This has been going on for two years.

Hang in there with AE. Once you get into it you will never play anything else. Start with a small scenario like Coral Sea. Read the manual and the forum.

Here is a VERY good place to start!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 9
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 7:45:03 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Its a good training tool. Considering how complex the game is its actually pretty fantastic. But as Sredni says it can break pretty easily. I played the Jap AI for several years but never got past early 43 as the AI kind of just whittled down the longer I played.

I think when you have played the AI and its no longer any challenge its time to move on to PBEM!

JocMeister is right on. AE is very deep and complex, the learning curve is steep. Some have referred to it as a learning cliff.

Just prepping, for example, the Japanese side for the initial turn is a lesson in logistics and attention to detail. By Mid war, the Allies face an even greater challenge of organizing hundreds (a thousand?) of combat and support units as he or she moves across the Pacific.

The AI allows you to practice and master the basics - air, land and naval combat and don't forget the logistics train, cause without the right mission specific ships and supply, (and, not to mention, understanding the concepts involved),disaster awaits.

Most questions as to "how to and why" have already been answered at length in the forums, which is a gold mine of information - especially the After Action Reports; after playing a PBEM game for several years, these boys know their stuff.

There is a very strong, knowledgeable membership in this forum who are more than willing to help you find your way. Don't be shy - ask, the support rating here is Five Gold Stars.

Glad to have you with us, Sir!

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 4/27/2013 7:50:19 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 10
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 9:52:49 PM   
Symon

quote:

thanks

How is the AI? Well it has had some general forum whacks lately (what else is new?), but it's still reasonably agglomerative and agressive. We've checked it for viruses and you can use it without worries about Herpes Simplex, or Hepetitus C.

Yippy Ki Yay

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 11
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/27/2013 11:00:03 PM   
DD696

I only play against the AI, and I have found it to be quite adequate using the latest iteration that AndyMac has devised - the originals from AE were good also, but one always learns something new.

Could it be better? Sure, but then my Z06 with 505 hp outperforms my 67 Vette with 300 hp. Everything gets better, and the latest AI versions are far superior to the original WiTP. Like everything, don't abuse it and it will give you a lot of enjoyment.

USMC: 1970-1977.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 12
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/28/2013 6:19:02 AM   
obvert

Some very veteran players have played the AI to 45 and found it engaging enough to continue. Bullwinkle and Pax Mondo are among the most vocal on the forums and conveniently each plays a different side, if you have further questions on the AI.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 13
RE: How is the AI ? - 4/28/2013 4:01:44 PM   
OldGuard1970

Ah... The AI. Well, even before Andy Mac's improvements, the AI clobbered me when I was a rookie trying to learn WITP. I spent months climbing the learning curve and finally gained the ability to beat the AI. After playing the AI had allowed me to learn some of the basics, I moved to PBEM and found a whole new world of tension and enjoyment.

Now the AI still serves to offer a useful opponent who is always there and always ready. I am stunned that an AI can work at all with a game of this complexity. Bravo Andy Mac!

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How is the AI ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI