About the Fighting

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Mad Russian

About the Fighting

Post by Mad Russian »

It was my job to create the battles and battlefields that you will find in the game. The first thing I did was to discount the earlier FPG notion of a few maps working for all the scenarios. In FPC:RS every single scenario has it's own unique map created from Google Earth.

There will be stand alone scenarios for US, West German and British forces facing Soviet combat units. In all there are 15 stand alone scenarios.

The campaigns are created of unique scenarios themselves and they too have their own unique maps. The number of campaigns is going to be determined by the number of days I have left before release time. We are working on the scenarios/campaigns daily. There will be at least one campaign that ships with the game. Hopefully 2 or 3. There are scenario maps for 3 campaigns. If all the campaigns do not make the game at the time of release we will include those maps as they were create months ago.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

RE: About the Fighting

Post by Mad Russian »

Where you will be fighting is determined solely by my story line. There are extensive briefings, those of you that have played my scenarios before know my briefings are anything but brief, because I feel that the briefings set the tone of the battle you are to play. Each scenario has full briefings for the overall situation and for each side.

You will be fighting for your life as a NATO commander during the first week of the war. Can you survive?

You will be trying to crush NATO defenses as a Soviet commander during the first week of the war. Can you survive?

The rapid pace of modern combat will leave you little time to make decisions. Make the wrong decision and the results will be brutal. [X(]

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

While the scenarios are not required to be played in order they are created in order. The end result of that is you get some overlap on many of the maps and certain areas, like the Fulda Gap have extensive map coverage.

Another interesting thing is that if there was a reason, we could make map packs for certain areas and release those. Map packs would be easy to create and would add to the coverage for not just this base game but other expansions as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

This looks really good. I love the maps except for the color of water. Way too bright imo.

I await further development.

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Ok, I see how this is going...I'm going to be the only one that likes that color blue. I can't wait to see what color you guys pick when you do your own maps.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Some maps could have entire campaigns done right on them. Here is an example of a map with two river valleys on it. This is some extremely tough terrain to cross and I don't think it can be done in a single game of 10-12 hours duration.

Maybe Guderian still lives but I'd have to see it to believe it.

The fight depicted on the map could be recon forces in small skirmish fights, medium sized forces in attack/blocking positions or large forces trying to force a breakthrough or counterattack. All that is just for the east edge of the map. Then there is the strip of land between the river valleys, crossing the second river and then exiting the west edge. That is 4 battles I can envision taking place on this one map from east to west only. I could come up with other scenarios with ease.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
CS1RedStormJ1.jpg
CS1RedStormJ1.jpg (488.25 KiB) Viewed 489 times

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

well Im thinking maybe something closer to this.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

That would work. Any color would work. We actually chose that color blue for the contrast for the terrain coding program.

Good Hunting.

MR

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

It's when the map view is zoomed in that the purple seems most out of place. But it's just a color. I'm looking forward to checking this out. Seems promising.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

If you are referring to the "purple" hexes, actually a transparent blue over the green ground, those are setup locations and it goes away after the start of the game.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

If you are referring to the "purple" hexes, actually a transparent blue over the green ground, those are setup locations and it goes away after the start of the game.

Nah. The deeper water hexes is what I was referring to. Maybe they just look 'purpleish' on my monitor.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The color appears to be off and I'm not sure why. Everyone's monitors are different. Heck looks different between my two screens.

wodin

Post by wodin »

I'd prob prefer a more light grey blue for water...but for those who have difficulty with eyesight the current colour stands out and makes it easy feature to spot.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

These maps don't appear to show elevation. Is there a map overlay that does this?

[
Formerly Goodwood

jday305

Post by jday305 »

ORIGINAL: BASB

These maps don't appear to show elevation. Is there a map overlay that does this?

[

I would like to see elevations as well. Will this game have LOS that will effect spotting distant units? Overall, I love these maps that have been on this forum. I'll be in line when this game comes out.
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The maps do show elevation in the different shades of green in the hex. Again it tend to be clearer on a full up monitor. There is also a map function to show elevation level, visual hindrance, and mobility of the hexes on the map and the current hex information is displayed on a status bar on the interface.

jday305

Post by jday305 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

The maps do show elevation in the different shades of green in the hex. Again it tend to be clearer on a full up monitor. There is also a map function to show elevation level, visual hindrance, and mobility of the hexes on the map and the current hex information is displayed on a status bar on the interface.

Cool!
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I'm moving the map discussion out of this thread to it's own.

tm.asp?m=3314177

Good Hunting.

MR

wodin

Post by wodin »

You can see the elevations in the screenshots..maybe those with colour problems can't? However I noticed them straight away.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

This game, much more than FPG, shows the differences in the way the nations military's fight. There are tremendous differences in the capabilities between the combatants. The differences are at times subtle and other times they are very striking.

As one instance only, the differences between the IFV's. The BMP1 and BMP2 vs the Bradley, Warrior and Marder. All five of them are IFV's but you will have to use each of them differently. Play to their strengths and be very aware of their weaknesses.

The combat systems covered in the game are infantry, ATGM, Direct Fire Gun (tank vs tank and tank vs everything else), Direct Fire Missile, Fire and Forget Weapons, Towed and SP Artillery, Helicopter, Fixed Wing CAS, AAA, SAM, Chemical and Nuclear.

When I came on the team they gave me everything I asked for except a detailed Combat Engineer model. I was told that this is not a Combat Engineer simulator. Okay, I can live with that. You won't get it if you don't ask for it right? What we did get is one of the most amazingly easy to play games I've seen in a long time. The game is not heavy on details. You tell your men where to go to fight and they try to do what you tell them. The details are all in the game. They are mostly under the hood where you don't have to deal with all the mountains of data that goes into modern (WWII to present) combat situations. Rob and the Capn have hidden all that away. You can get it if you want it but it is not required to play the game. It's simply available for immersion if that's what you like.

Good Hunting.

MR

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”