Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Favorite American civil war movie and why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Favorite American civil war movie and why? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 1:53:08 AM   
rogo727

Mine is Andersonvie. To me this is what the American spirit is all about. I also like Gettysburg and red badge of courage. And I ask any American who wouldn't pick up that flag?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Post #: 1
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 4:02:21 AM   
KG Erwin

I like both Gettysburg and its prequel, Gods and Generals. Glory is an excellent film, too. Good Civil War era movies are hard to find, as there are very few which deal with the conflict itself. Most of them, like Gone With the Wind, have the war as a backdrop.

Overall, my favorite is Gettysburg, simply because it focuses on the characters and the battle itself. There are no civilian side stories to detract from the main theme.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 4/24/2013 4:07:56 AM >

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 2
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 4:24:44 AM   
Erik Rutins

The General.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 5:22:01 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Shenandoah

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 11:43:08 AM   
GJK

Glorty. Great acting, great story, great combat scenes. "Wha'd ya gonna do Snowflake?".

I'll be in the minority on this one, but Gettysburg was "ok". Horrible acting (sorry, but the extras/re-enactors are caught looking at the camera and at each other blankedly so often it's a wonder the editor didn't get sacked), too long (instant fast-forward when someone starts into their long rant on this or that and everyone else just stands around and nods...filled with the soapy background music), horrible selection for Lee. Enough said.

I think Gods and Generals was better than Gettysburg but it still suffers from some of the same issues that Gettysburg had, mainly the bad acting.

I'd rather watch documentaries about the ACW. Put on Ken Burns' Civil War and I'll sit for hours watching episode after episode.

Also a nod to The Outlaw Josey Wales and The Good, the Bad, the Ugly. Though not movies about the ACW, they take place during the war and have more than just passing references to it.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 5
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 11:57:14 AM   
doomtrader

North and South

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 6
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 12:52:04 PM   
Yogi the Great

Gettysburg not just a favorite Civil War Movie but one of my favorite movies period.

Killer Angels was perhaps my favorite book. Recently I got the Gettysburg Blu-Ray version with the added scenes. I recommend that to everyone, it fills in some of the holes from the original release.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 7
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 12:53:39 PM   
Sarge

Wicked Spring , watch the youtube video/link below and it will answer why

http://youtu.be/n5ooBiCLlqA

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 8
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 1:15:55 PM   
RockKahn

The Horse Soldiers with John Wayne and William Holden.

Why? Other than John Wayne being in it, it's the movie that got me interested in war movies, and shortly after that, war games.

In the early 60s an American Civil War strategy game was included in an issue of Life magazine (I believe it was a hundredth anniversary 1961 issue). I'd seen The Horse Soldiers movie not too long before that, so I pulled out the map and rules, and cut out the pieces. That's where my attraction to war gaming started.

I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 1:18:57 PM   
VPaulus

"The Red Badge of Courage"

Does anybody know what happened to the third part of "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals"? Was it cancelled?

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 4/24/2013 1:25:28 PM >

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 1:35:38 PM   
shunwick

Well, not about the American Civil War exactly but using the ACW as a backdrop i give you - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 11
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 1:44:49 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus
"The Red Badge of Courage"

Likewise. I really enjoyed the book, and when I saw the the movie I was delighted how close it was to the novel - although Huston's original version (sadly long before the era of 'director's cuts') was supposedly even more so.

Audie Murphy is too old for Henry Fleming, but he was baby-faced enough to just about get away with it, and in a way it's a role only he could have played so convincingly.

'Glory' is a close second.

quote:

Does anybody know what happened to the third part of "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals"? Was it cancelled?

Yup. Gods and General bombed pretty catastrophically. It was pretty dire IMHO, for what it's worth, with Stephen Lang's performance being its most notable feature. Again.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 4/24/2013 1:46:46 PM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 12
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 2:45:30 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Likewise. I really enjoyed the book, and when I saw the the movie I was delighted how close it was to the novel - although Huston's original version (sadly long before the era of 'director's cuts') was supposedly even more so.

I've never read the book, but I suspected that the movie was highly cut. It's a shame. Maybe one day we will see a director's version like they have done with Orson Welles "Touch of Evil". The movie deserve it with its beautiful cinematography.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
Audie Murphy is too old for Henry Fleming, but he was baby-faced enough to just about get away with it, and in a way it's a role only he could have played so convincingly.

Indeed. It's a great performance.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 13
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 6:01:27 PM   
Chickenboy

Not a big fan of the ACW genre in general. I still feel it personally, so it's a painful subject.

However, of the ACW films I've seen, I identified with and sympathized most with Matthew Broderick's character in Glory. I appreciate the way he comports himself as a young officer faced with difficult military and impossible social choices.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 14
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 6:27:42 PM   
mullk

I like Gettysburg. The re-enactors were something I actually liked. I'm not always a fan of actors personally.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 7:31:46 PM   
SLAAKMAN

All of those films mentioned such as Glory or Gettysburg, etc are superb but there was two eseential ingredients missing.....Rosemary Forsythe & Katherine Ross....in their 20's. Yum!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 16
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 8:36:09 PM   
Hotschi

I only know one movie about the American Civil War, and this is Gettysburg. I like it, as it's strictly about the battle and there's no love story attached to distract (in fact I think there's not a single woman starring in the movie). The full German DVD version is on YouTube - a week ago I purchased the Blu-Ray but haven't watched it yet; lack of a Blu-Ray player, have to wait 2 weeks for that one.

Wasn't aware of the prequel "Gods and Generals" but I think I will get that too.

"One day, Tom, you'll be standing on a box on your bridge, and your ship will be smashed to pieces by bombers and torpedo aircraft; as she sinks, your last words will be "That was a f**ing great mine!""
- Air Marshal Arthur Harris to Adm Tom Phillips

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 17
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 9:44:54 PM   
rogo727

Can you tell us more and the reason why? Re-reading about the hornets nest now. It still moves me.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Not a big fan of the ACW genre in general. I still feel it personally, so it's a painful subject.

However, of the ACW films I've seen, I identified with and sympathized most with Matthew Broderick's character in Glory. I appreciate the way he comports himself as a young officer faced with difficult military and impossible social choices.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/24/2013 10:09:33 PM   
Curtis Lemay

I put "Gods and Generals" ahead of "Gettysburg" just for Stephen Lang's Stonewall Jackson - which I thought was the equal of George C. Scott's Patton. I also loved the opening sequence with the unit flags flying as that great theme song played. I wish that both had had true hollywood-type production values, but, as a wargamer, I'm used to niche subjects getting the cheap.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 19
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/25/2013 12:22:05 AM   
sulla05

Well I have a somewhat different opinion. I love Gettysburg but detested Gods and Generals mostly for the portrayal of " Ole Tom Fool". It made him much more human and sane then most of his fellow soldiers wrote about him. The only part of Gettysburg I do not like is the furry animal that sits on Tom Berenger's face throughout the movie.

But I am very glad to have read this thread for now I am off to find the director's cut of Touch of Evil.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 20
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/25/2013 12:29:06 AM   
grogmaster

The Birth of a Nation

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 21
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/25/2013 1:29:29 AM   
british exil

It's years ago that I watched Glory. I found it very good. The way the coloured men fought and also the white offficers leading them into battle after really training them, but also know if captured would be sentanced to death.
But also the futillity of advancing along the beach, open to withering fire to then have to breath a complete intact denfensive line.

They were brave men, shame the higher ranks didn't lead them too. They wouldn't have given such orders.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to grogmaster)
Post #: 22
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/25/2013 1:34:19 AM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

But I am very glad to have read this thread for now I am off to find the director's cut of Touch of Evil.

This is the one which you're looking for:
http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Evil-50th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B001CC7PQ2

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 23
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/25/2013 2:40:19 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Gettysburg....the Cannon's firing. 

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 24
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/25/2013 4:00:04 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Can you tell us more and the reason why? Re-reading about the hornets nest now. It still moves me.
quote:

rogo727,

I have family (by marriage and otherwise) from North and South. I also feel the pull of modern political 'state's rights' movements. These make me look with literal disgust on that war wherein so many Americans killed one another. It's just hard to think about 600,000 Americans killing one another-people like those you know and love locked in mortal combat for reasons that are still tangible.

Matthew Broderick's character was an inexperienced young Colonel pulled into a politically difficult role-CO of a negro (note: their terms, not mine) Union infantry unit. His wealthy upbringing in no way prepared him for the rural negro's life experiences, nor leadership of this seemingly foreign group of people. Yet he managed, in his own way, to keep his command sharp and to avoid his troops becoming an untrained rabble. Examples were given of how it *could have been* for this unit (and shamefully was in poorly trained negro union infantry units). His interaction with Morgan Freeman is superb as well.

One of the last scenes of the movie brought me to tears. Looking out over the sea, he dismounts his horse before leading his men on their charge of the fort. He smacks his horse to make sure it doesn't follow him to his end. Tears run down his eyes-he knows this day will be his last. But yet he follows through. He leads his men, as he is expected.

I always appreciate movies that portray young officers that grow in the leadership role. I ask myself often, "what would I do?" were I in a similar situation. Watching a good actor embrace the role and grow within it is a great experience for a moviegoer such as myself.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 25
RE: Favorite American civil war movie and why? - 4/25/2013 5:42:52 PM   
rogo727

When I went to see the Iowa cemetery at Shiloh I just stood there in silence. More Iowa boys lost their lives in that battle then any other battle in the civil war. My favorite part was when that guy picked up the flag when the mathew was shot dead. That moment of truth is kinda how I feel.
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

quote:

rogo727,

I have family (by marriage and otherwise) from North and South. I also feel the pull of modern political 'state's rights' movements. These make me look with literal disgust on that war wherein so many Americans killed one another. It's just hard to think about 600,000 Americans killing one another-people like those you know and love locked in mortal combat for reasons that are still tangible.

Matthew Broderick's character was an inexperienced young Colonel pulled into a politically difficult role-CO of a negro (note: their terms, not mine) Union infantry unit. His wealthy upbringing in no way prepared him for the rural negro's life experiences, nor leadership of this seemingly foreign group of people. Yet he managed, in his own way, to keep his command sharp and to avoid his troops becoming an untrained rabble. Examples were given of how it *could have been* for this unit (and shamefully was in poorly trained negro union infantry units). His interaction with Morgan Freeman is superb as well.

One of the last scenes of the movie brought me to tears. Looking out over the sea, he dismounts his horse before leading his men on their charge of the fort. He smacks his horse to make sure it doesn't follow him to his end. Tears run down his eyes-he knows this day will be his last. But yet he follows through. He leads his men, as he is expected.

I always appreciate movies that portray young officers that grow in the leadership role. I ask myself often, "what would I do?" were I in a similar situation. Watching a good actor embrace the role and grow within it is a great experience for a moviegoer such as myself.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Favorite American civil war movie and why? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI