Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 1:05:59 AM   
Bill Durrant

Hmmm ..... I wish people didn't post this stuff - or I was strong enough not to read it :-(

Back to sweeps over Rangoon...

Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 31
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 2:20:43 AM   
Canoerebel

Why? This seems like a look at the lives of Forumites that's rich and significant real life stuff which we otherwise wouldn't know.

(in reply to Bill Durrant)
Post #: 32
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 4:25:31 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Why? This seems like a look at the lives of Forumites that's rich and significant real life stuff which we otherwise wouldn't know.

I love this kind of stuff. Maybe it's the Irishman in me.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 33
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 5:10:59 AM   
LST Express

Love lost and found. Maybe a thread about love found should be Canoes next project.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 34
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 2:55:07 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wait, does it have to be a girl?

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 35
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 3:08:36 PM   
Olorin

Damn... I want to write an essay on this topic, as it's current to me rather than strictly a thing of the past...but I'll refrain.

< Message edited by Olorin -- 4/25/2013 3:09:16 PM >

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 36
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 3:10:30 PM   
Canoerebel

Well, Olorin, you'd have a grateful audience, especially if you distract CapMandrake from writing about the "passionate affair of the heart" he had one time while staring deeply into the eyes of a zebra at the San Diego Zoo.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 37
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 3:27:16 PM   
Olorin

OK, I'm convinced Canoerebel, I am in a sharing mood and it seems I would do the forum a service!

Well, what follows is the (very) short version of the events.

My highschool darling girl found me on facebook after 12 years of not seeing each other. The story is that we were in love in highschool, but a relationship was never realized thanks to my general pussiness at the time. 4 years after highschool (I was 19), I was still in love with her, tried to win her, but my general pussiness was not reduced to sufficient levels to do that. Basically the way I went about it would have turned off most girls that ever lived. No need to go into details, for respect of my fellow forumites.

Anyway, fast forward 12 years later, lots of girls coming and going since then. Recently (this January in fact), she found me on facebook, but I 'm in the UK and she is in Greece. I 'll return home in June though for vacations, so that's when I 'll see her, as we have agreed.
I'll give it another shot, but this time I'll have 12 years of experience behind me, so I am fairly confident about my chances. I will let you know if I crash and burn.

P.S. Turn just arrived, back to trying to save the Empire from the decadent West.

< Message edited by Olorin -- 4/25/2013 3:32:38 PM >

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

Post #: 38
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 3:33:27 PM   
RevRick

Yep. And it really hurt(s). I found out later that she though she was not 'good enough' for me just as much as I thought I was not 'good enough' for her. So we both made separate decisions that we would rather have each other around as "friends" rather than risk revealing our thoughts to each other for fear of losing each other in our lives. This came out 38 years later. She was quite simply the most beautiful woman I have ever met, and I could fall into her eyes forever. Still is. Still can. We are both married, have families, and speak with each other. But aside from one revelatory conversation, have never again mentioned what we really meant to each other, did not realize for fear of losing each other - and wonder.

< Message edited by RevRick -- 4/25/2013 3:35:29 PM >

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 39
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 3:37:06 PM   
rockmedic109

No regrets. A few "What ifs", but no regrets.

With my life and family now, I am quite happy things turned out the way they did.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 40
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 3:40:42 PM   
Canoerebel

"General Pussiness"! Now that's a coined phrase we can apply as a synonym for Sir Robin strategy, right?

Rev, thanks for sharing. You'd be one of those good men who "get" Doctor Zhivago!

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 41
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 4:09:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

"General Pussiness"! Now that's a coined phrase we can apply as a synonym for Sir Robin strategy, right?

Rev, thanks for sharing. You'd be one of those good men who "get" Doctor Zhivago!

"Dr. Z" was a good movie, but too much the romance angle. I read it in college as part of a Soviet history course. If you liked the movie read the book. It's one of the most important novels of the 20th C. Pasternak didn't win the Nobel Prize for writing Harlequin romances. The Politboro made him give it back, but they're gone to dust and "Dr. Z" will live forever.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 42
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 4:23:55 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm veering off to chase Bullwinkle's thought: I really appreciate the romance angle of Dr. Z, but not how you'd think. The movie is a haunting tribute to how life's twists can separate - or unite - a man with a true love and is very sad. But the movie focuses really on the loss of his paramour rather than his wife and children. The movie does try to do justice to the anquish he feels over the turning away from his wife for Lara, but I don't think it comes close to representing the real repurcussions for him and his wife and his child (but it's just a movie!). Besides, who couldn't look on Lara in the movie and not love her!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 43
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 4:27:04 PM   
Lecivius

"epilogue - i'm happily married now, and life is good!"

Ok, this statement just causes my mental processor to freeze up

Post #: 44
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 4:32:35 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I'm veering off to chase Bullwinkle's thought: I really appreciate the romance angle of Dr. Z, but not how you'd think. The movie is a haunting tribute to how life's twists can separate - or unite - a man with a true love and is very sad. But the movie focuses really on the loss of his paramour rather than his wife and children. The movie does try to do justice to the anquish he feels over the turning away from his wife for Lara, but I don't think it comes close to representing the real repurcussions for him and his wife and his child (but it's just a movie!). Besides, who couldn't look on Lara in the movie and not love her!

Right. The movie did the romance stuff fine versus the novel. I'm just saying the novel is not a romance. It has that, but it's about a lot more titanic set of historical events than one doctor and his wife and lover.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 45
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 4:34:50 PM   
Canoerebel

I couldn't finish the novel for my own novel reason. The book is filled with the exotic (to my eyes) names of countless Russian towns. So Yurie might travel between Pooskivosk and Inglegrad, but I'd have no idea if that was ten miles or 1,500 miles. I spent the whole time lost - it was kinda like reading James Michenor and Robert Ludlum books with the pages from the two shuffled together!

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/25/2013 4:35:34 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 46
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 4:52:42 PM   
Olorin

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
I'm lucky. My wife is wonderful, I treasure each and every day. She smiles at me, the universe dawns, life is good.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 47
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 4:55:53 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

My wife and I alternatively laughed at and grimaced at The Bridges of Madison County. It seems that the woman rationalized her affair (cheating on her husband and family) based upon her husband being a bit on the dull side. Really? That's your reason for dumping on your family?

Furthermore, when her children read through her recount of her erotic daliances on the kitchen table (the very one they were reading her journal on at the time), they were struck with fondness for their mother's act. "Aww, isn't that cute", seemed to be their response.

Of course, in real life, upon hearing of what was done on that very table by one's parent, most children would push themselves quietly away from the table in mild reactionary disgust. When reading about what mom did to dad, just because he was a little bit boring, most adult children would feel at least moderately uncomfortable with what mom did, if not outright angry.

Novel romances, affairs and depictions of romantic love are typically nonsense. Those written many years ago are completely unrealistic depictions of the development of adult, mature love. Real love takes patience, time and embracing everything in life-not just the flashy, charismatic and exciting, but also the rote, the day-to-day and the small things in life. Holding a job, raising kids, holding a mortgage, belonging to the PTA-not sexy. But necessary for mature love and raising families. It makes for crap novel reading though.

This touches on a good philosophical question-though: Is there such thing as a 'perfect fit' for anyone, versus the 'many fish in the sea' point of view? I'm of the latter opinion-there are many good possible life mates and spouses. It's up to you to find one that fits and change to best develop your lives together.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 48
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 5:14:51 PM   
jeffk3510

I am of the later opinion.. I don't agree in such a thing as one perfect fit for every human being.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 49
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 5:57:22 PM   
Canoerebel

Well said, Poultry Lad.

Hey, I had a real (and I mean real!) Bridges of Madison County experience once - and it involved a bridge...in a Madison County!

Back in the early '90s, when my first child, daughter, was perhaps 12 months old, I took her to Watson Mill Bridge State Park in Madison County, Georgia. The focal point of the park is the longest covered bridge in Georgia. (Bridges of Madison County, to which Chicken Boy refers, is a novel about a writer visiting covered bridges in Madison County, Iowa). While we were seated at a picnic table, there was a boisterous group of young mothers with youngsters just up the hill. I would later learn that these were single mothers on an outing....and they must've thought I was a single dad on an outing. So, little daughter and I received an invite to join the group of single moms and daughters. The parallels - writer, covered bridge, the question of marital fidelity - were so obvious that I was startled. Daughter and I ate a piece of cake, wished the folks well, and bid the cordial group farewell.

When I got back to the in-laws' house, man did I have fun telling my wife about my Bridge in Madison County experience!

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 50
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 5:57:39 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

"epilogue - i'm happily married now, and life is good!"

Ok, this statement just causes my mental processor to freeze up

...i always try to remember that happiness is a choice...we can choose to ruminate or we can choose to continue this fasinating journey called life understanding that opportunities may have been missed, but in the end, they weave the fabric of our being and hopefully make us better humans in the long run...

ps - try ctrl-alt-del to un-freeze

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 51
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 6:03:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Well, Olorin, you'd have a grateful audience, especially if you distract CapMandrake from writing about the "passionate affair of the heart" he had one time while staring deeply into the eyes of a zebra at the San Diego Zoo.

Whoa! Santa Maria! How did you know I lived in San Diego for 4 years? Here is a San Diego love nearly found story without any equines.

One day I go out to my 10 year old Capri and I find this note on the windshield. It reads, "People think I am leaving my license number because I hit your car. I'm not. I'm leaving my phone number because I'd like to meet you. Ours eye met at the biomedical library the other day. Call me. 867-5309"

Whoa! Santa Maria! I think back. Eyes met. Hmmmm? Maybe that cute undergrad with the hemp clothing and no make-up? That runner girl? She's pretty cute. I can't be sure so I stew on it for 2 or 3 d. Finally, I can't stand it. What if she is the future mother of my children? This is stupid. Man up, I tell myself.

I call....ring...ring...ring....ring....ring....<tension builds>....a guy answers....D'oh!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 52
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 6:29:38 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Whoa! Santa Maria! How did you know I lived in San Diego for 4 years? Here is a San Diego love nearly found story without any equines.

One day I go out to my 10 year old Capri and I find this note on the windshield. It reads, "People think I am leaving my license number because I hit your car. I'm not. I'm leaving my phone number because I'd like to meet you. Ours eye met at the biomedical library the other day. Call me. 867-5309"

Whoa! Santa Maria! I think back. Eyes met. Hmmmm? Maybe that cute undergrad with the hemp clothing and no make-up? That runner girl? She's pretty cute. I can't be sure so I stew on it for 2 or 3 d. Finally, I can't stand it. What if she is the future mother of my children? This is stupid. Man up, I tell myself.

I call....ring...ring...ring....ring....ring....<tension builds>....a guy answers....D'oh!

That's when you practice your Spanish. "Hola, Juan esta?"

Post #: 53
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 6:55:02 PM   
Canoerebel

Cap, the man that answered the phone was probably her father...and she was probably a comely, intelligent and unusually affectionate 19-year-old widely admired for her grace, charm and zest for life.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 54
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 7:00:54 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

Cap, the man that answered the phone was probably her father...and she was probably a comely, intelligent and unusually affectionate 19-year-old widely admired for her grace, charm and zest for life.

And the father is probably on the Smith & Wesson Pistol team, the U.S. Olympic Judo Team.......and well known for his overprotectiveness.

Cap, you lead an interesting life.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 55
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 7:32:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

...in a winsome sort of way.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 56
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 9:19:17 PM   
Lokasenna

Not to take the thread OT from the OT, but Madison County is down to 5 or 6 covered bridges. In the early '00s, several were destroyed or damaged by arson. I don't think any are open to driving these days. Sad, really. My parents took me out there when I was about 8 and we drove through all of them.

That scene from Beetlejuice can never happen IRL now.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 57
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 9:21:00 PM   
Skyros

Ah the summer of 1980, my ship pulled into Kiel and I needed to wash my cloths. I found a handy wash center and proceeded to do my duty. I noticed her and her friend across the room. I am a big chicken and did not say anything, plus my German is awful. After putting my cloths in the spinners, this place did not have dryers, she walked over and kissed me on the lips. I can still see the disapproval of the old ladies on the other side of the room. She sat next to me and we talked for a while. She was back packing across Germany with a friend and she wanted me to join them and go to Hamburg. I was sailing in a tall ship race to Karlskrona Sweden the next day. Decisions decisions? I ended up walking away, but I always wondered what would have happened if I had gone. Probably be lost in Germany to this day.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 58
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/25/2013 10:40:41 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

And the father is probably on the Smith & Wesson Pistol team, the U.S. Olympic Judo Team.......and well known for his overprotectiveness.

Cap, you lead an interesting life.

It only sounds that way............... because I very soon discovered the person who wrote the note answered the phone.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/26/2013 12:42:36 AM >

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 59
RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love - 4/26/2013 2:25:23 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

It only sounds that way............... because I very soon discovered the person who wrote the note answered the phone.

Oy Gvald

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Waaaayyy OT: Your Lost Love Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI