OT: West, TX

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jeffk3510

OT: West, TX

Post by jeffk3510 »

Please pray for all of the people involved in the West, TX fert plant tragedy that happened this evening.

We do a lot of business down there and have good amount of customers....I have talked with some of them, and it is just an awful situation at present.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
wdolson

RE: OT: West, TX

Post by wdolson »

I heard a blurb about it. If the news hadn't been so full today, it may have been the lead story on the national news. It sounds like a very big fire.

I will keep them in my thoughts.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

It is the lead news where I live. Sorry to hear about this, Jeff.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Just to be clear...we don't do business with the actual plant. I hope it didn't sound like that.

It is just a bad week for news.

Dez caught it
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

This is a very weird week.

I'm working with a company just south of San Jose. Monday evening someone broke into a substation and shot up a bunch of the transformers. Additionally they cut two fiber optic cables that server the county south of San Jose. It took out some land line service and most of the internet. The company I work for had no internet until late this afternoon.

Minor compared to the other tragedies this week, but try running a tech company in the Silicon Valley with no internet.

Bill
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I'm working with a company just south of San Jose. Monday evening someone broke into a substation and shot up a bunch of the transformers. Additionally they cut two fiber optic cables that server the county south of San Jose. It took out some land line service and most of the internet. The company I work for had no internet until late this afternoon.

Minor compared to the other tragedies this week, but try running a tech company in the Silicon Valley with no internet.

Bill

...no wonder my internet went bye-bye...hadn't heard that news...
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

It's a shame. West is a neat town with a strong Czech heritage and some great restaurants. They have a festival each year that's a lot of fun. Sure hope they can recover, word is four city blocks around the plant are basically leveled, with additional damage beyond that zone. Ugh, what a week. [:(]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

It's a shame. West is a neat town with a strong Czech heritage and some great restaurants. They have a festival each year that's a lot of fun. Sure hope they can recover, word is four city blocks around the plant are basically leveled, with additional damage beyond that zone. Ugh, what a week. [:(]

Why do they allow residential zoning next to a bomb? I'm sorry for the residents, but it's not like Texas doesn't have history with fertilizer explosions.
The Moose
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Why do they allow residential zoning next to a bomb? I'm sorry for the residents, but it's not like Texas doesn't have history with fertilizer explosions.

I know Nevada had a nasty jet fuel plant explosion in 1988...It just happens I guess..

Dez caught it
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill
ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart
...no wonder my internet went bye-bye...hadn't heard that news...

The areas affected were the towns south of San Jose. Gilroy and Morgan Hill mostly. The company I work for is in Morgan Hill.

Back to the fertilizer plant explosion. I wonder if it was an act of domestic terrorism.

Fertilizer bombs are very nasty afterwards. The fertilizer puts a huge amount of nitrous oxide into the air which turns into nitric acid as soon as it comes in contact with water. It's deadly to breath the air because you will end up with nitric acid in your lungs.

Nitric acid is one of the nastier acids.

Bill
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

It was the lead story on the news tonight here in Brazil.

Poor folks who have had their lives shattered.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Emmor

Post by Emmor »

To get an idea of home big this explosion was. We heard the rumble which sounded like thunder 70 miles away. Some in the DFW metroplex reported their houses shaking 60 to 70 miles away. West is a nice place to stop on your way to Waco or Austin.
LST Express

Post by LST Express »

It's a tough thing but West is a good little community and they will bounce back.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I know Nevada had a nasty jet fuel plant explosion in 1988...It just happens I guess..

The worst industrial accident of the 20th C. in the USA was a Texas fertilizer explosion.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... 1-in-texas

"A giant explosion occurs during the loading of fertilizer onto the freighter Grandcamp at a pier in Texas City, Texas, on this day in 1947. Nearly 600 people lost their lives and thousands were injured when the ship was literally blown to bits. . . .

. . . The blast was heard 150 miles away and was so powerful that the ship's 1.5- ton anchor was found two miles away. The force of the explosion lifted another ship right out of the water. People working at the docks were killed instantly. . . .

. . . In all, 581 people died and 3,500 were injured. The explosion caused $100 million in damages. A long-disputed court case over the cause of the blast was resolved when Congress granted compensation to 1,394 victims. They received a total of $17 million in 1955. The port was rebuilt to handle oil products only."
The Moose
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Something happened in Newfoundland, I think during the war, and I think it was an ammunition ship, and the explosion destroyed the port facilities and a lot more. And there was that one during the war on the West coast when an ammunition ship being loaded blew and it was huge. Many black sailors incinerated. Of course, those were not "industrial" accidents.

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Something happened in Newfoundland, I think during the war, and I think it was an ammunition ship, and the explosion destroyed the port facilities and a lot more. And there was that one during the war on the West coast when an ammunition ship being loaded blew and it was huge. Many black sailors incinerated. Of course, those were not "industrial" accidents.

Port Chicago, Ca. About 350 dead, hundreds wounded. Texas 1947 was a lot worse.
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”