Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Max wheeled movement speed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Max wheeled movement speed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Max wheeled movement speed - 4/16/2013 10:13:21 PM   
dholedays

Could someone explain why the max speed for forces with the wheeled movement type is only 30 kph? Was it impractical to travel at greater speeds? If so, how come? I'm specifically wondering if this changed post WWII.
Post #: 1
RE: Max wheeled movement speed - 4/16/2013 10:35:24 PM   
Lieste

I don't think that is universal within the Estab ~ from memory the maximum for any formation was 40kph, with normal at 30kph ~ the majority of the (slower) formations were listed at 30kph and 20kph respectively ~ these included most tracked formations, those with heavy towed payloads etc.

Ultimately this is about what real-world formations manage ~ while their individual components may be capable of much more this is largely a control and march discipline issue ~ a moderate speed allows vehicles to close any gap that opens, to move as a formed body despite restrictions caused by road design (or absence thereof) and is consistent with the movement pace of the slowest vehicles in a column.

Movements at higher speed could be seen, but these would usually be smaller formations or single vehicles, and usually over relatively short distances.

I think that march calculations still used these modest rates in the 1980s, judging by small unit leader handbooks from the early 80s. (This still ignores planned rest-halts, and maintenance stops, which further suppress movement distance made good in a given time period...)

< Message edited by Lieste -- 4/16/2013 10:38:15 PM >

(in reply to dholedays)
Post #: 2
RE: Max wheeled movement speed - 4/17/2013 2:55:54 AM   
dholedays

Okay, that makes sense. I had a suspicion it was due to control reasons, but I wanted to be certain. I was also wondering if possible improvements in control methods or things like the invention of the transistor radio might have upped that number, but I guess if they were still using similar speeds in the 80s that probably wasn't the case.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 3
RE: Max wheeled movement speed - 4/17/2013 6:13:46 AM   
Bazza042

You are absolutely right: for a short period I was involved in convoy duties whilst I was in the Army.

If you were the first truck you could maintain, traffic situations permitting, a steady 40 mph along clear roads.

If you were the rearmost truck you were either stationary or doing 60 mph!

I understand that there is some scientific theory involved which is now used to reduce bunching on motorways (expressways).

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 4
RE: Max wheeled movement speed - 4/17/2013 9:03:55 AM   
Arjuna

Yes it's very scientific.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Bazza042)
Post #: 5
RE: Max wheeled movement speed - 4/17/2013 1:01:16 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bazza042

You are absolutely right: for a short period I was involved in convoy duties whilst I was in the Army.

If you were the first truck you could maintain, traffic situations permitting, a steady 40 mph along clear roads.

If you were the rearmost truck you were either stationary or doing 60 mph!

I understand that there is some scientific theory involved which is now used to reduce bunching on motorways (expressways).

Traffic engineers use a variant on fluid flow theories to support their efforts to improve traffic movement along roads.

There jargon uses "controlling turbulence" to describe how to mitigate the effects on traffic flow caused by stop lights, traffic merging lanes, intersections, changes in speed limits, or a reduction of the number of traffic lanes.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to Bazza042)
Post #: 6
RE: Max wheeled movement speed - 5/20/2013 2:38:21 PM   
dholedays

Okay, I have it all figured out now (actually I figured it out a while ago, as a result of poking around the estabs and with some help from Arjuna, but I haven't got around to posting it.

It seems like all units are given a typical upper move speed limit based on their characteristics:
  9/6 kph for foot units
50/38 kph for most motorized units (wheeled or tracked, and typically line units but also SP arty)
20/30 kph for certain motorized units, primarily ones like bases that seem like they would have
          more control or other difficulties with moving around. Also includes towed artillery.
60/40 kph for motorized recon units.

These are all upper limits on speed that I think are probably based on the traffic control issues discussed above. In the estab editor these values are set in the Force Editing window for each force.

However the movement speed of a unit is further limited by the actual maximum speed of any vehicles it has. Since the vehicles have both a road speed and a cross country speed, their actual movement speed may vary depending on the terrain. Basically if any vehicle in a unit can't keep up the whole unit moves as fast as the slowest vehicle.

However since the movement type to be used (foot, mot, tracked, horse, bicycle, etc) is specified by the force, not by the vehicle, I'm guessing that any modifiers to speed based on that are applied to the force speed limits, not the vehicle speed limits.

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Max wheeled movement speed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI