Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Elmer's bombardments in first round

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Elmer's bombardments in first round Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Elmer's bombardments in first round - 4/16/2013 12:13:23 AM   
HPT KUNZ

I notice that on the first round of combat Elmer attacks almost exclusively with bombardments. Has anyone else noted the same? I seems to me that this depletes the artillery supply/capability with not much return. But Elmer must know what he is doing. Right?
Any comments?
cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Elmer's bombardments in first round - 4/16/2013 1:57:39 AM   
sPzAbt653

Maybe 'softening up' ? Or trying to knock the defender out of entrenched status before attacking ?

(in reply to HPT KUNZ)
Post #: 2
RE: Elmer's bombardments in first round - 4/17/2013 1:10:38 AM   
HPT KUNZ

That is the theory, but it seems to me it is more cost-effective in TOAW to use artillery to support ground attacks. I get the impression Elmer disagrees...

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Elmer's bombardments in first round - 4/17/2013 7:20:29 PM   
shunwick

Difficult to get Elmer to play it correctly I suspect. Sometimes it is worth it and sometimes it isn't. It's not easy for the player to make that decision so poor old Elmer stands no chance unless he can see the results prior to making the initial bombardment.

Actually, would not be a bad idea to let Elmer cheat in this way. Generally speaking, I am not against Elmer cheating if it makes him a tougher opponent.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to HPT KUNZ)
Post #: 4
RE: Elmer's bombardments in first round - 4/22/2013 11:47:01 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Actually, would not be a bad idea to let Elmer cheat in this way. Generally speaking, I am not against Elmer cheating if it makes him a tougher opponent.

So, the PO's biggest weakness is his inability to shift troops effectively between fronts. This means in any scenario above a certain size, the correct approach is to massively overbalance one flank while refusing the other, destroy the forces there, and then roll up the rest of the line.

As it stands, one can exercise self restraint in abstaining from the above approach, and thereby get a broadly plausible match. But if the PO is given artificial advantages which make it more potent in direct combat, then the player will be obliged to exploit this unrealistic approach to win.

"Event 902: Bob Cross slays dragons!"

http://www.savemstateathletics.com/tdg/

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 5
RE: Elmer's bombardments in first round - 4/23/2013 12:08:14 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

So, the PO's biggest weakness is his inability to shift troops effectively between fronts. This means in any scenario above a certain size, the correct approach is to massively overbalance one flank while refusing the other, destroy the forces there, and then roll up the rest of the line.

As it stands, one can exercise self restraint in abstaining from the above approach, and thereby get a broadly plausible match. But if the PO is given artificial advantages which make it more potent in direct combat, then the player will be obliged to exploit this unrealistic approach to win.

Ben,

What on Earth are you talking about?

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 6
RE: Elmer's bombardments in first round - 4/23/2013 12:14:50 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

Ben,

What on Earth are you talking about?

Best wishes,
Steve

Ben,

My apologies, it was way past my bed time and I did not read your post correctly.

It is possible, if you allow the PO unrestricted cheating rights, to create a monster for the solo game that effectively forces the player into specific anti-PO strategies.

But the PO already has some cheats programmed into it and I am not sure that allowing it to judge pre-attack bombardments (Is it worth it? Is it not?) would damage the solo game that badly. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 7
RE: Elmer's bombardments in first round - 4/23/2013 7:41:02 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

But the PO already has some cheats programmed into it and I am not sure that allowing it to judge pre-attack bombardments (Is it worth it? Is it not?) would damage the solo game that badly. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't.

I recently read (well, skimmed) a paper which described a process for a computer to play arcade games by testing multiple outcomes at every frame. It was effective but a real CPU hog.

Of course it's all pretty academic unless and until development actually starts again. Until then, play PBEM.

"Event 902: Bob Cross slays dragons!"

http://www.savemstateathletics.com/tdg/

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Elmer's bombardments in first round Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI