Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: US Aircraft Cruisers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: US Aircraft Cruisers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: US Aircraft Cruisers - 4/30/2013 10:35:23 AM   
wdolson

It probably would have been both a poor battleship and poor carrier.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 31
RE: US Aircraft Cruisers - 4/30/2013 11:06:04 AM   
Terminus

Well, jack-of-all-trades and whatnot...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 32
RE: US Aircraft Cruisers - 4/30/2013 5:07:20 PM   
traskott

It's a monster, a waste of resources because if engages in close combat the flight deck is a trap, and as carrier is too cumbersome.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 33
RE: US Aircraft Cruisers - 5/1/2013 1:27:06 AM   
FDRLincoln

In a personal mod of mine a few years ago, I designed a conjectural US "scout cruiser" called the Kansas City class. The idea here was the US started building one of those proposed "aviation cruiser" ships in the mid-30s but thought better of the design when it was still under construction. The hull was too far along to scrap however, so it was re-designed and completed as something similar to the way that Mogami was refitted by the Japanese in 1943.

This Kansas City design has the forward hull of a Brooklyn-class CL (3x3 6-inch) but instead of the rear turrets it had expanded seaplane facilities, say 6 aircraft.

I posted this in the 8-8-8 thread first but I think it is more relevant here. Didn't mean to thread-hog.

Fear God and Dread Nought

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 34
RE: US Aircraft Cruisers - 5/1/2013 1:30:14 AM   
FDRLincoln

There is a good model image of that Soviet monstrosity here:

http://www.steelnavy.com/1250AnkerOlsen.htm

Gives a 3-D perspective.

Fear God and Dread Nought

(in reply to FDRLincoln)
Post #: 35
RE: US Aircraft Cruisers - 5/1/2013 4:47:22 AM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: FDRLincoln

There is a good model image of that Soviet monstrosity here:

http://www.steelnavy.com/1250AnkerOlsen.htm

Gives a 3-D perspective.

They would have been a lot better off it they had torn all that hanger away and added a couple of cruisers worth of 5" and Light AAA amidships. Say another 20 5" mounts, and he probably could have had another 20 Quad 40s per side as well. They would have had the room. Trouble is that when the air raid began, every ship within 5 NM would have to run as far away as possible, because it also would have been a floating ammo dump.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to FDRLincoln)
Post #: 36
RE: US Aircraft Cruisers - 5/1/2013 5:04:00 AM   
wdolson

The Russians have never needed to have great naval designs. They have always been a continental power and the navy's primary role is supporting the army. Their attempts to be a naval power have been less than stellar.

Larger continental powers historically tend to spend some effort on their navies, but it tends to be driven by political whims and fads than any long term commitment to naval power. During the Age of Sail the French tried to compete with Britain, but ultimately lost most of the naval battles because Britain needed a navy for survival and for France it was a luxury.

Germany in WW II built some very good ships, but ultimately they served to sit in port and drive the British nuts rather than compete. Their empire was won and lost on the land, not the sea. I've also read that the Germans screwed up at Dunkirk and didn't wipe out the BEF because for a continental power, having an army boxed in with their backs to the sea is a trap. For a naval power, it's an opportunity. The Germans were thinking like a continental power and the British like a naval one.

Britain, the Netherlands, and Japan all were forced to be continental powers because of geography. They were always dependent on overseas trade to keep their nation strong. The US is the only power in history that became both at once. In the early years a navy was necessary because of the threat from Britain and the early states all along a long coastline with little land defense. Later it became the dominant land power in North America.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 37
RE: US Aircraft Cruisers - 5/13/2013 3:23:38 AM   
dwg

There was some discussion in the Admiralty of a hybrid, half-battleship, half carrier.

That came to a stop when Goodall (Director of Naval Construction) asked which the admirals would rather command : 5 hybrids (225,000t, 30x15", 70 aircraft) or 3 Lions and 3 Indomitables (200,000t, 27x16", 144 aircraft)

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: US Aircraft Cruisers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI