Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship ETA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Ship ETA Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship ETA - 4/15/2013 7:46:42 PM   
cdcool

Any way to tell how long a ship or ships will reach its destination?
Post #: 1
RE: Ship ETA - 4/16/2013 5:36:25 AM   
Kayoz

Nope.

Why do you want an ETA? If your purpose is to coordinate multiple fleets arriving at a target, I think your best option is to set them to assemble some place close to but outside the target system, then move them in all at once.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to cdcool)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship ETA - 4/16/2013 5:37:05 PM   
meklore61

What would be even better would be when you clicked on a ship or fleet, it had a line to it's destination. Especially colony ships, since when you start sending a bunch out you forget where the planet is lol. I have Return of the Shak, so I'm not sure if the later games in the series have this or not. It would be nice.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship ETA - 4/16/2013 8:33:25 PM   
ScottenChi

Nope. Would love this feature, maybe in Shadows?

(in reply to meklore61)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship ETA - 4/17/2013 4:53:24 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: meklore61

What would be even better would be when you clicked on a ship or fleet, it had a line to it's destination. Especially colony ships, since when you start sending a bunch out you forget where the planet is lol. I have Return of the Shak, so I'm not sure if the later games in the series have this or not. It would be nice.

I believe that Vectors were added in Legends, I thought it was earlier but apparently not . . . anyway, that feature is in the game, just fyi.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
Res: 1920 x 1200

(in reply to meklore61)
Post #: 5
RE: Ship ETA - 4/17/2013 7:57:19 PM   
cdcool

Would make the game more realistic., knowing what time your fleets or ships arrive at a destiantion.

< Message edited by cdcool -- 4/17/2013 8:02:37 PM >

(in reply to meklore61)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship ETA - 4/17/2013 7:58:18 PM   
cdcool

Nope, I have all the expansions
quote:

ORIGINAL: ScottenChi

Nope. Would love this feature, maybe in Shadows?

(in reply to ScottenChi)
Post #: 7
RE: Ship ETA - 4/17/2013 8:00:24 PM   
cdcool

You need need it, from a stategic level, I have all the expansions
quote:

(in reply to meklore61)
Post #: 8
RE: Ship ETA - 4/17/2013 8:04:19 PM   
cdcool

Vectors or lines are in the game, but no ETA.. I hope it's added at some point.
quote:

(in reply to meklore61)
Post #: 9
RE: Ship ETA - 4/23/2013 4:09:17 PM   
Plant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz
Why do you want an ETA? If your purpose is to coordinate multiple fleets arriving at a target, I think your best option is to set them to assemble some place close to but outside the target system, then move them in all at once.

Surely it is obvious why you would want an ETA if your purpose is to coordinate multiple fleets arriving at a target?
That way you wouldn't need to "set them to assemble some place close to but outside the target system, then move them in all at once"

Not to mention that you have some idea where to focus your attention to when you do know how long it takes to travel.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 10
RE: Ship ETA - 4/23/2013 5:42:50 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plant
Surely it is obvious why you would want an ETA if your purpose is to coordinate multiple fleets arriving at a target?
That way you wouldn't need to "set them to assemble some place close to but outside the target system, then move them in all at once"

Not to mention that you have some idea where to focus your attention to when you do know how long it takes to travel.

Yes, the intent of the OP is obvious. That's why I wrote, "... your best option" - it's the best that can be done considering the game design.

And yes, I do agree that vector lines and ETAs should be and can be implemented. Hopefully it has made it into Shadows.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 11
RE: Ship ETA - 4/23/2013 8:00:17 PM   
cdcool

All military and tactical operations are based on a ETA. It would be beneficial and more realistic to have that information incorporated on the game.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 12
RE: Ship ETA - 4/24/2013 3:44:13 PM   
Plant

If I remember, supreme commander had a beautiful system where by ctrl clicking onto location, the units would set ready and leave at the right times to arrive at that location at the same time.

(in reply to cdcool)
Post #: 13
RE: Ship ETA - 5/8/2013 11:56:38 AM   
TanC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz
And yes, I do agree that vector lines and ETAs should be and can be implemented. Hopefully it has made it into Shadows.

Vector lines are currently in DW Legends. 2nd button along the top of your minimap that is sitting at the bottom right corner.

ETA would be a nice thing to have though I have 1001 other stuff to think about than ETA.

< Message edited by TanC -- 5/8/2013 11:57:29 AM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 14
RE: Ship ETA - 5/9/2013 12:37:59 AM   
Numdydar

Well historically ships and other forces were all assembaled at locations near the actual CZ before being committed in order to make sure everyone was prepared and ready before combat. Imagine sending a TF of troops from Pearl Harbor to attack Tarawa and something happened and it sank or did not get there after the other forces were committed. So gathering fleets and forces at a nearby loacations makes a lot of sense to me. So no ETA is needed here . Ater all, the DDay effort was all assembled at the 'planet' England before attacking the 'planet' France lol.

Why would you want to try and send fleets/ships piecemeal and try to arange them all to get there at the same time? Send everything you want to a single place and it does not matter when the ETA is. Since whenever you feel ready, you commit. Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

(in reply to TanC)
Post #: 15
RE: Ship ETA - 5/9/2013 8:13:49 AM   
Mansen

ETA is a very important aspect of realtime strategy games - just the other day I had an enemy strike fleet flying straight at me, couldn't see how far they'd gone half the time so I wasn't sure if my defensive fleet would make it in time or if I needed to build more defenses in the meantime.

Tiny feature - huge effect.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 16
RE: Ship ETA - 5/9/2013 10:48:17 AM   
Buio

Hope it gets added as an option. Should be easy to implement.

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 17
RE: Ship ETA - 5/9/2013 2:46:43 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mansen

ETA is a very important aspect of realtime strategy games - just the other day I had an enemy strike fleet flying straight at me, couldn't see how far they'd gone half the time so I wasn't sure if my defensive fleet would make it in time or if I needed to build more defenses in the meantime.

Why should you know their ETA? Do you have a ship in scanner range or someone following them. Are you even sure they will actually end up going where you think they are/ They could easily change to a different target than the one you think.

While I respect your view that an ETA is important, I think there are many other things the game should have before this gets implemented. Personally, I would love to see a 'fog of war' option where you do not see any other races ships on the map unless you have a ship with scanners and within scanning range before an ETA was implemented. But hey that is just me

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 18
RE: Ship ETA - 5/9/2013 3:00:15 PM   
Mansen

Why would I need to have them in scanner range? During the time they are visible "I" receive the following information.

Their numbers (unique ship signatures)
Their location
Their speed
Their course (Remember how you're actually warned if they head for one of your systems?)

This is more than enough to plot an estimated arrival time. But of course their course could change en-route as you mention - in that case the estimated ETA (and "drawn line") stay visible until the ships should have arrived and then vanish.

If they re-appear elsewhere on a new heading, a new estimate is drawn. Quite simple really and completely common in simulator and strategy games where you have as much overview as you have here.

TLDR: It is a very easy thing to implement considering. The data is there, the lines are there - it isn't an entire new feature - it is an interface change.

(And yes - I too would like a visual fog of war effect on the universe map. I've grown so accustomed to having fog wherever I don't have vision in all of my 4X and strategy games)

< Message edited by Mansen -- 5/9/2013 3:02:31 PM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 19
RE: Ship ETA - 5/10/2013 4:04:51 AM   
Numdydar

Without some type of 'hidden' movement system, why is there even any scanner tech in the game at all? I mean I have never researched it so may be it does some good. But if I can see everything already, why bother?

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 20
RE: Ship ETA - 5/10/2013 3:45:50 PM   
Plant

Scanner tech allows you to see cargo, onboard troops and component status of individual ships supposedly. Also allows you to see passenger number, fuel and energy levels as well. Well, I've never seen cargo, and what it does allow you to see is near worthless even in combat, since you don't know how many components the enemy ships have. Most of the information it givs you, can be discerned by a competent eye.

As for fog of war Numydydar, isn't the game under a fog of war system? Except for knowing what is in your system automatically. It is because of long range scanners and proximity sensors that you equip your ships with that you can see them at all.

Smetimes you can see fleets heading your way due to hyperjump tracking from the proximity sensors. An ETA would be justified from that, since it will be cancelled if they change course.

But the main argument for an ETA for YOUR SHIPS, is for proper time management. It helps a great deal in your gameplay, if you know when your ship will arrive at a location you asked them to attack, rather than to eyeball a rough time and constantly checking.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 21
RE: Ship ETA - 5/11/2013 5:46:30 PM   
Numdydar

By 'fog' I meant that unless a ship is within scanner range of something, you should nor see anything, bases, ships, colonies, etc. Of course once you found a base or colony then they would always be marked since they are hard to move Of course they would stay marked even if someone destroyed them unless you scanned them again (or exchanged maps with someone who had more updated information).

Is seems like you should not know a fleet is anywhere near (or even in) your system unless you have ship/planets/bases with the approporate scanner. Much less know that ships are headed your way from a completely different star system lightyears away. Aurora handles scanner systems the best of any game I have seen. Of course I do think having to worry about how sentistive versus the range of a sensor is a little excessive. Realistic, yes. Adds a lot to the game, not so much.

Imho, there should be 4 different types of military scanner tech that supports two componats for ships and two componats for bases (and very large ships). The first tech pair would cover scanning hyper drive emissions. One tech would increse range, the other sensitivity. Where sensitivity increase would allow ship to be detected sooner based on size. So the 'more' sensitive your scanner, you can start picking up smaller ships based on the range tech, while larger ships could be detected even further away. The other pair of tech would cover non-hyper scanneing and follow the same pattern as the hyper version.

So without any scanners, it would be entirely possible for a fleet to just 'appear out of nowhere' versus how it seems to work now. Also, if you have the hyperdire scanners tech up but not the other, you could see them coming, but them they could disapear within your system once they got there . Unless they started blowing things up of course

The countermeasures tech already in the game (which I never research either ) could be used as a 'anti-scanner' to the above, so the higher your countermeasures are, the range/sensitivity of the scaner techs are reduced (but not eliminated) by some value. Of course, you also have counter measures to counter measures too. But I do not think adding in yet another componate to research would add anything since the 'ECCM' (Electronic Counter Counter Measure for those not of a military background ) could be assumed to built into the scanner tech itself.

Just some random thoughts as I hate having tech that seems to have no importance in the game. So if it not doing anything in game terms, why have in there at all?

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 22
RE: Ship ETA - 5/13/2013 6:26:27 PM   
Plant

Yeah, knowing everything in a system you own is slightly odd, but if you do own it chances are, you will plonk a spaceport with a long range scanner on it eventually.

But the reason you know ships are headed your way is from the proximity scanners, with their hyperspace tracking.
As for countermeasure tech, they are cheap to research and a cheap component, and they improve your ships survivability so much, there isn't any reason to not research countermeasures, unless you have misunderstood their function.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 23
RE: Ship ETA - 6/11/2013 7:13:33 PM   
cdcool

I disagree, I just brought Shadows.

ETA provides you a realistic time frame of whats going on in the game. It gives you a real time assessment on how long your activities will take in in regards to ship movement, going from one place to another.

Watching a ship(for example)march across a sector to colonize a planet 5 squares away and not knowing the time it will arrive does leave me with a since of less control of other activities that may depend on that colony.

Bottom line: its needed and should be implemented as quickly as possible. This is a great game which is very detailed, why omit a very strategic value, not unless it can't be implemented.

Thank you for considering the addition.

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 24
RE: Ship ETA - 6/11/2013 7:16:12 PM   
cdcool

[

< Message edited by cdcool -- 6/11/2013 7:21:21 PM >

(in reply to Mansen)
Post #: 25
RE: Ship ETA - 6/11/2013 7:23:20 PM   
cdcool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mansen

Why should you know their ETA? Do you have a ship in scanner range or someone following them. Are you even sure they will actually end up going where you think they are/ They could easily change to a different target than the one you think.

While I respect your view that an ETA is important, I think there are many other things the game should have before this gets implemented. Personally, I would love to see a 'fog of war' option where you do not see any other races ships on the map unless you have a ship with scanners and within scanning range before an ETA was implemented. But hey that is just me

quote:

I disagree, I just brought Shadows.

ETA provides you a realistic time frame of whats going on in the game. It gives you a real time assessment on how long your activities will take in in regards to ship movement, going from one place to another.

Watching a ship(for example)march across a sector to colonize a planet 5 squares away and not knowing the time it will arrive does leave me with a since of less control of other activities that may depend on that colony.

Bottom line: its needed and should be implemented as quickly as possible. This is a great game which is very detailed, why omit a very strategic value, not unless it can't be implemented.

Thank you for considering the addition.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 26
RE: Ship ETA - 7/18/2013 7:29:09 PM   
gsol69

Hello all,
I thought that ship desination lines were now included in DW Shadows, so I just purchased Shadows and installed everything (DW + 3 Exp packs). Watched the Tutorials again, and am now running thru game #1 using all of the settings from Erik's "Easy Intro Game in the Pre-Warp Age of Shadows" thread. I stopped playing this game after Shakturi because I couldn't tell what was going on.
Now I have my first automated exploration ship moving around, but still don't see any destination lines telling me to where.
Don't want to have to click on every ship to see this. I have the "Show Travel Vectors for Stata ships" = On, but no changes that I can see on the map display. Am I missing something, or is there still no visual map indicator displaying a ships destination?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

(in reply to cdcool)
Post #: 27
RE: Ship ETA - 7/18/2013 8:08:46 PM   
Starke

quote:

ORIGINAL: gsol69

Hello all,
I thought that ship desination lines were now included in DW Shadows, so I just purchased Shadows and installed everything (DW + 3 Exp packs). Watched the Tutorials again, and am now running thru game #1 using all of the settings from Erik's "Easy Intro Game in the Pre-Warp Age of Shadows" thread. I stopped playing this game after Shakturi because I couldn't tell what was going on.
Now I have my first automated exploration ship moving around, but still don't see any destination lines telling me to where.
Don't want to have to click on every ship to see this. I have the "Show Travel Vectors for Stata ships" = On, but no changes that I can see on the map display. Am I missing something, or is there still no visual map indicator displaying a ships destination?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

With State Ship Vectors on, all state-owned ships will show a dotted line and arrow from them to their destination. The only conditions involved IIRC are a) if the order is given to a fleet, you will only see the vector for the fleet's lead ship, b) it won't show in-system warp vectors unless the specific fleet or ship is selected, and c) both the ship/fleet and it's destination must be on screen.

Do any of those things explain your problem?

(in reply to gsol69)
Post #: 28
RE: Ship ETA - 7/18/2013 8:42:51 PM   
elanaagain

eta on vectors has been requests numerious times in the request / wish list threads. Add your 'request.' Maybe if enough users state they want this...

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to Starke)
Post #: 29
RE: Ship ETA - 7/18/2013 9:38:46 PM   
gsol69

Thanks for the responses.

Starke, if the feature is included then it must be user error, but I can't figure out what.
I took a screenshot to display the situation but don't know how to add it too this msg ("add image" button above prompted for an http address, and could not paste the image from my buffer into this msg.
I have a non-fleet explorer ship in auto mode heading to explore a planet on the same screen. Mouse hovering over that ship shows the destination as the planet on the same screen. Have Show travel vectors for state ships = on,
but no lines anywhere showing the destination.

Elanaagain, not overly concerned about ETA at this time, although that would be nice. I am just looking for an easy way to tell where a ship is heading with out having to dig!

Thanks again

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Ship ETA Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI