There is nothing in VMF 214s history that indicates they were equipped with Buffalos at any point. From the link:
VMF-214 was first commissioned in July, 1942, as part of the build-up of Marine Corps airpower that took place after Pearl Harbor. Based at Ewa, on Oahu, Major George Britt took command of the nascent squadron, which really got moving with the arrival of eleven F4F-3 'Dash 3' Wildcats and single SNJ-4 trainer in October.
Pilots joined up that summer and fall, including Technical Sergeant Alvin J. Jensen, a enlisted man who won his wings under the Naval Aviation Pilot (NAP) program. Also Henry Miller, a Harvard Law School graduate, who had been deemed to old for the U.S. services and had joined the RCAF in 1941. Miller turned out to be an excellent pilot, and after Pearl Harbor, the U.S. naval services wanted him badly enough to compensate the Canadians $25,000 for his training. Major Britt requested Captain Henry Ellis as Exec; they had served together in VMF-211. They all trained hard, practicing gunnery, wearing out and sometimes crashing their aircraft.
When eight of the newer F4F-4 'Dash 4' Wildcats were delivered in December, 1942, they brought the squadron's inventory back up to fourteen planes. Even though the Dash 4 was newer, some pilots preferred the Dash 3, which had fewer guns (4 vs. 6), but a longer-lasting ammunition supply. On account of its heavier armament and folding wings, the Dash 4 was heavier, and therefore slower to climb.
VMF-214 embarked for the Solomons in February, 1943 on the small carrier, Nassau for the long Pacific journey. On March 3, off Pentecost Island, New Hebrides, Nassau catapulted the Wildcats of VMF-214 towards the squadron's new home - the fighter strip at Turtle Bay, Espiritu Santo.