Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yontoo Add-on Warning

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Yontoo Add-on Warning Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yontoo Add-on Warning - 4/14/2013 5:22:05 PM   
Omnius

Thanks to having to download and install OpenOffice to edit Time of Fury game files I discovered that the OpenOffice download installed a pernicious add-on called Yontoo. It caused me headaches for months as it redirected me to spam scams about winning some bogus $500 visa card. This ugly Yontoo add-on also forced a bunch of lame pop-up ads at the bottom of my Matrix webpages and some worthless search function on the far right of the screen that seemed to target Matrix specifically. Not to mention an explosion of spam in my e-mail spam filter.

I want to thank Wastelands for making my life miserable here at the Matrix website for too many months. After complaining at the Matrix web developer for the last few weeks I finally figured out the problem and the resolution myself from her link suggestion to Microsoft about fixing Internet problems like pop-up ads. I hope someone at Wastelands will be smart enough to make this post a sticky since every ToF customer that downloads the OpenOffice program to edit game files to overcome poor programming has the potential of having this problem infect their computer. It doesn't show up as a virus so virus scans are worthless at finding it.

To get rid of the Yontoo add-on that downloads and installs with OpenOffice you need to access the Internet "Manage Add-ons" under the gear in Windows 7 that's at the top right of the Internet page. I can't remember if there was an option to not install Yontoo, but I doubt it. Under manage add-ons you'll see the Yontoo add-on listed as not official and you can disable both functions listed below it. I found that the best solution was to go into the Control Panel and just uninstall the Yontoo program and then uncheck all subroutines listed so they actually get deleted.
Omnius
Post #: 1
RE: Yontoo Add-on Warning - 4/14/2013 5:45:35 PM   
doomtrader

I think that best thing what you can when installing a new software is to read what is going to be installed.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 2
RE: Yontoo Add-on Warning - 4/14/2013 5:51:50 PM   
gwgardner

You are a funny, funny man, Ominus.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 3
RE: Yontoo Add-on Warning - 4/14/2013 7:57:36 PM   
Rasputitsa

If you are going to walk through the internet jungle with your eyes shut you will take a fall, I have Open Office, but anything free has strings attached, uncheck the things you don't want.

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Yontoo Add-on Warning Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI