Sicily to Brenner Pass Mod

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

sPzAbt653

Sicily to Brenner Pass Mod

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I've reworked this old scenario and tested it up to turn 72. Now I'm ready to restart with the latest changes and fixes and if anyone wants to join, the scenario and equipment file can be had here : tm.asp?m=4385457

Some of the changes:
OOB's revised: Unit names, unit arrivals and withdrawals updated.
Alternate Equipment Database used.
Switched from Full Day to Half Week turns.
Event List reorganized.
Some map changes.
All Mountain hexes contain Badlands Terrain.
Marsh added to most open terrain River Hexes.
Changed Precipitation from Moderate to Heavy.

This one used to be 670 turns, now its 192 turns. I've played against the German PO only, so no idea how the Allied PO is. Initiative switches happen quite often and I haven't decided if I want to do something about that or not.

This was done with TOAW 3.4, but don't use New Supply or New Turn Order.

Attachments
StoP1.jpg
StoP1.jpg (188.53 KiB) Viewed 198 times
shunwick

RE: Sicily to Brenner Pass Mod

Post by shunwick »

And there I was looking forward to a quiet Saturday evening with a good book.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Oops, a slight bugger that causes all US units to withdraw when Messina is captured. One click off in the event list and everything goes to hell. Oh, well. Its been fixed and reposted.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Have not got that far yet. I am playing the Axis against the Allied PO. A restart is no problem. Thanks for this one.

Best wishes,
Steve
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I am playing the Axis against the Allied PO.

I modded for the opposite, but Quisling does have an Allied PO in there so you'll have some resistance. I have no idea how it will work out, I guess I'll have to look at it in the future.

If the Allies actually manage to capture Messina, some of your units will withdraw and reappear on the mainland (as Elmer wouldn't withdraw the units and they would get wiped out).

I also put in defense lines and used all five objective tracks. One area that German Elmer isn't any good at is withdrawals (mostly because he is reluctant to suffer disengagement attacks). So if the Allied PO actually makes it to the mainland and starts advancing up the boot, you may get a bunch of German units called 'rearguards' that are in garrison at certain points of the map (just so you know what is going on).
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I am playing the Axis against the Allied PO.

I modded for the opposite, but Quisling does have an Allied PO in there so you'll have some resistance. I have no idea how it will work out, I guess I'll have to look at it in the future.

If the Allies actually manage to capture Messina, some of your units will withdraw and reappear on the mainland (as Elmer wouldn't withdraw the units and they would get wiped out).

I also put in defense lines and used all five objective tracks. One area that German Elmer isn't any good at is withdrawals (mostly because he is reluctant to suffer disengagement attacks). So if the Allied PO actually makes it to the mainland and starts advancing up the boot, you may get a bunch of German units called 'rearguards' that are in garrison at certain points of the map (just so you know what is going on).

Steve,

Thanks for the heads-up. I will let you know how it works out.

Best wishes,
Steve
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Well, I've reached the Gustav Line and pretty much nobody home ... certainly not the type of defense that will delay me by 3 months (or at all). So, I've got some more work to do on this one. [:(]

Attachments
StoP3.jpg
StoP3.jpg (194.31 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Well, I've reached the Gustav Line and pretty much nobody home ... certainly not the type of defense that will delay me by 3 months (or at all). So, I've got some more work to do on this one. [:(]

Hm, i don't know. Elmer is not that kind of guy.. i doubt you will ever get him to man a defensive line and await an onslought in the fashion the Germans did in Italy.

He's more the guy that throws the 36th again and again against that single hex on the Rapido river.. I think - apart from the amphibious assaults - he'll do better commanding the Allies here.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Very true. Currently I have different objective tracks set to the different defensive lines. As the Allies advance, different tracks/defensive lines are tripped. What I'm working on now is having some units withdraw when the tracks are tripped, then having mirror units arrive in defensive positions, in Garrison Mode. At least that should work a little better than the current situation.
xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

This is a great scenario, cant wait to see the updates for it. Looks great. What graphics mod are you using, the graphics look awesome.
TC ET1(SS)
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Those are the standard Classic Graphics that come with the game.
xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

Sorry to bother you on this, but how do I get those classic graphics, I installed the classic graphics from the main menu/extras but they definitely don't look like yours.
TC ET1(SS)
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Ok, version 1.6 is now posted.

Now, as the Allies advance some German Formations will withdraw, leave some rearguards, and a mirror Formation will appear at the next Defensive Line. Hopefully this will offset Elmers practice of allowing units to get surrounded and destroying, leaving the front with a void in units. This hasn't been playtested yet.

This really messes with the German Player, so I would suggest playing the Allied side against the Axis PO. I should do an Axis version in the future. [:)]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Up to v2.7 with the Human Allied vs. German PO version. With everybody's help and a little work, Elmer has a decent defense set up at the Gustav Line. YAY !

Here's the northern part of the line. Supply sucks here so I'm content to hold the line with a couple of British divisions.

Attachments
StoP15.jpg
StoP15.jpg (110 KiB) Viewed 200 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Here's the center part of the line. Supply is pretty stinky here too, but I'm working on the rail lines to get it better. For now there are two British divisions and a French division holding the line, with two Indian divisions and a New Zealand division in reserve.

Attachments
StoP16.jpg
StoP16.jpg (105.54 KiB) Viewed 200 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Southern part of the line with several US divisions holding the line. 1st Canadian Corps and 2nd Polish Corps are in reserve, and the rails are being repaired. Once the supply situation is optimal, everyone will be rested and ready to go. Hopefully the US boys can then bust a hole somewhere, then the two reserve corps can push thru and wreak some havoc.

I haven't done an Anzio thing yet, but I've got three French divisions on Corsica and Sardinia waiting for the right time. Probably once the US gets its attacks going.

Attachments
StoP17.jpg
StoP17.jpg (106.08 KiB) Viewed 200 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I haven't done an Anzio thing yet, but I've got three French divisions on Corsica and Sardinia waiting for the right time.
Hey there Steve dude: It's been my experience w/ the Free French that they have divisions that don't have the same
moxie as the American divisions so they have a hard time busting holes in the lines and I use them mostly on defense
and placeholding. And garrisons. And hex conversion. Stuff like that. But in a pinch they can hold front line positions
for short periods of time before they fold. Your mileage may vary.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Thanks for the good intelligence report on the Free French Mr. Fulkerson. I'll have to be careful how I use them. Most of these guys were great fighters, but they were from Africa and not used to the cold. Later when they participated in the invasion of France, when winter came they had to be rotated out of the line and sent to warmer areas. Imagine that - 'Hey Sarge, I'm cold so I can't fight anymore' !!

Return to “Scenario Design”