Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/13/2013 4:39:14 AM   
Heeward

I have the SST Argonaut 10/42 update in a Sub Transport Task Force docked in a port.
I can see on the ship status screen:
Troop Capcity 110
Cargo Capcity 72
I do not have to option of loading troops on the Task Force Screen.

Unlike the SST Nautilus in a simular Sub Transport Task Forced docked in the same port is loading troops.
Troop Capcity 70
Cargo Capcity 60

Bug with the Argonaut or Works as Designed?

The Wake
Post #: 1
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/13/2013 4:43:15 AM   
Alfred

You probably have only one LCU in the right travel mode and it is already being loaded on the Nautilus.

Alfred

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 2
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/13/2013 4:46:10 AM   
Heeward

Thanks for the quick answer.
I'll have to give it try - I have several different units to evacuate.

The Wake

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/13/2013 4:55:06 AM   
Alfred

Ah, you are evacuating.

In that case there are some other possible factors, all WAD, which impact on the ability to load units onto subs. I would need more information about the environment to pinpoint the likely culprit.

Alfred

(in reply to Heeward)
Post #: 4
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/13/2013 5:11:51 AM   
geofflambert

In my experience, submarines cannot load or unload unless they are in a friendly port, and that includes SSTs. This comes from my repeated attempts to unload commandos on a neutral beach (no base present), without success. I'm going to have to take that back, I just unloaded supplies from an SST at a friendly base hex with a port =0. What are the relevant considerations?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/13/2013 5:17:06 AM   
geofflambert

Just thought of something else relevant to your case, it has seemed to me that when loading units, the components that contribute Assault Value points load first, so your evacuation might tend to leave your support engineers behind, not that that is necessarily an outcome you'd prefer to avoid.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 6
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/13/2013 10:13:10 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

In my experience, submarines cannot load or unload unless they are in a friendly port, and that includes SSTs. This comes from my repeated attempts to unload commandos on a neutral beach (no base present), without success. I'm going to have to take that back, I just unloaded supplies from an SST at a friendly base hex with a port =0. What are the relevant considerations?

To invade from subs, you'll want to load "parachute-capable" (airborne) units in combat mode. You should be able to unload on any beach/port, hostile or friendly.

The game engine could not distinguish between ranger-type units and other infantry. Rather than allow all (or no) infantry to do sub invasions, this was the compromise kludge.

< Message edited by Blackhorse -- 4/13/2013 10:14:56 AM >

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 7
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/13/2013 3:23:47 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

To invade from subs, you'll want to load "parachute-capable" (airborne) units in combat mode. You should be able to unload on any beach/port, hostile or friendly.

The game engine could not distinguish between ranger-type units and other infantry. Rather than allow all (or no) infantry to do sub invasions, this was the compromise kludge.

... and non-para units can load in "move" mode. That part of the compromise was to allow them to be moved but not to conduct effective assaults.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 8
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/13/2013 3:50:27 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

I had trouble moving a disabled 24# gun also. I was able to move the 2 ready ones, but could not load the disabled one. It finally self destructed and I continued on.

“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/14/2013 1:14:10 PM   
Colonel Mustard

On a related note, I'm currently trying to unload supplies from an SST (Argonaut) into a friendly dot hex, but the supplies will not unload. I have a number of engineers in the dot that are building.

What is the best way to get supplies to unload in this situation? Do I just need some Naval Support? Is there something else missing?

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 10
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/14/2013 1:36:53 PM   
witpqs

Naval support will help. But also - what version are you running? Michael fixed an issue in a somewhat recent Beta where supplies would unload fine at an enemy dot base (to invading units) but the same transport sub would not unload supplies there once the dot base had been captured.

(in reply to Colonel Mustard)
Post #: 11
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/14/2013 2:23:20 PM   
Colonel Mustard

It's version 1.0.6.1108r9, dated January 21, 2012.

I also originally tried to unload the engineers themselves using the sub. They loaded onto the sub okay, but would not unload at the friendly dot hex. I wound up flying them in by float plane.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/14/2013 2:46:15 PM   
witpqs

As mentioned, that (and maybe some other?) things with transport subs have been fixed in the Betas.

And do remember that non-para capable units must be in Move mode to load on transport subs.

Also, like any other situation, the device you are trying to move must fit. A ridiculous example just to illustrate the point, tanks won't fit! Same is true for radar sets, and so on.

(in reply to Colonel Mustard)
Post #: 13
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/15/2013 3:03:25 AM   
Colonel Mustard

Thanks. I'll think about trying the Beta.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/15/2013 3:09:51 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Naval support will help. But also - what version are you running? Michael fixed an issue in a somewhat recent Beta where supplies would unload fine at an enemy dot base (to invading units) but the same transport sub would not unload supplies there once the dot base had been captured.

Are you certain the fix also covered SST.

This is what michaelm has posted in the change log in the beta thread.

20/01/13: 1123 - Restored original code that allowed LI,REF to produce when enemy LCU in hex
Partially restore original code that allowed HI to produce, but only if no enemy LCU or for port >3, no enemy TF in hex
Restored original downgrading of device for arriving Japanese LCU if unable to fully satisfy from pool before dropping by 75% (production on)
Restricted filter on Unit list for 'change all on list ..' not working
Don't show TF to enemy player (in case it happens)
Troop/supply unload at friendly 'dot' base
AI swapping aircraft to different nationalities
Pilot training HI expenditure not set in some cases

I've just gone through all 22 pages of the beta thread and there is no additional clarification from michaelm regarding the bolded and italicised text above.

The table on pages 125-126 show that SST are treated differently. My understanding is that the design intent has always been that SST would need a pier, unless used to drop off a commando type raiding party.

Alfred

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 15
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/15/2013 3:29:53 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Are you certain the fix also covered SST.

This is what michaelm has posted in the change log in the beta thread.

20/01/13: 1123 - Restored original code that allowed LI,REF to produce when enemy LCU in hex
Partially restore original code that allowed HI to produce, but only if no enemy LCU or for port >3, no enemy TF in hex
Restored original downgrading of device for arriving Japanese LCU if unable to fully satisfy from pool before dropping by 75% (production on)
Restricted filter on Unit list for 'change all on list ..' not working
Don't show TF to enemy player (in case it happens)
Troop/supply unload at friendly 'dot' base
AI swapping aircraft to different nationalities
Pilot training HI expenditure not set in some cases

I've just gone through all 22 pages of the beta thread and there is no additional clarification from michaelm regarding the bolded and italicised text above.

The table on pages 125-126 show that SST are treated differently. My understanding is that the design intent has always been that SST would need a pier, unless used to drop off a commando type raiding party.

Alfred

Yes, because I was the affected/reporting party! After the fix things worked just fine. BTW, 'fine' seems to mean they can unload the same as when the base was hostile.

Under hostile conditions, they can unload a para-capable unit in combat mode and unload the attendant supply to the unit. Prior to the fix, after the base changed ownership and became friendly, they could unload nothing. Hostile dot base = unload fine; but friendly dot base = no unload at all. That made no sense. Now they can unload at a friendly dot base the same as at a hostile dot base. But not better. For that you need a port or perhaps naval/shore party support.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 16
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/15/2013 4:24:25 AM   
Alfred

According to the table on page 125, there should be no troop unloading at a friendly dot base. I'm not certain how now allowing troop unloading is consistent with the game design which treats "transport" and "amphibious" TF operations differently. Sub transport TFs in turn are treated differently again.

In any case it is what it is now in the beta. Players just need to adapt their play accordingly.

Alfred

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 17
RE: SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops - 4/20/2013 10:03:28 PM   
Heeward

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

You probably have only one LCU in the right travel mode and it is already being loaded on the Nautilus.

Alfred

Your answer was correct. I had only one unit in Move Mode. As soon as the Nautalis was loaded and departed The Argonaut started loading.

The Wake

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> SST Argonaut Not Loading Troops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI