Matrix Games Forums

Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sea Zone Names

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Sea Zone Names Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sea Zone Names - 4/12/2013 2:18:25 PM   
Rasputitsa

Some of the Atlantic sea zone names get very convoluted and long, which causes the display to get cluttered and confused.

North-Western NW North American Basin
North-Eastern South North American Basin
Central-Eastern SW West European Basin

I have tried to shorten the exiting names, which helps a lot, but does not completely remove the clutter. The Allies and Axis used grid systems to fix areas of the Atlantic Ocean. The ToF map and sea zones do not easily convert to a classic grid, but here is an example after editing the scenario 'sea nodes' excel file, this one from and on-going saved game.

This cleans up the Atlantic Ocean areas, whilst the coastal areas and other oceans keep named sea zones. You can devise many grids, but with this one there are North and South zones and the grid letters identify East and West Atlantic zones. I can still quickly identify, in the units management list, the areas of the Atlantic where each sea zone is located. A/B/C are Eastern , X/Y/Z are Western. Line 1 is at the top, Line 8 is at the bottom, of each separate Northerly and Southerly Atlantic section. N-C1 is Northern Atlantic section, East side of the Ocean, top Northerly line.

Sea Zone S-Z1 is easier than Central-Western NE North American Basin.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/12/2013 3:06:44 PM >

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me
Post #: 1
RE: Sea Zone Names - 4/12/2013 2:39:37 PM   
Rasputitsa

This is the Southern section.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 2
RE: Sea Zone Names - 4/12/2013 8:41:11 PM   
shermanwar

I like it! how could I apply it to mine?
Thanks
Sherman

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 3
RE: Sea Zone Names - 4/13/2013 10:00:43 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: shermanwar
I like it! how could I apply it to mine?
Thanks
Sherman

The sea zone names are held in the 'sea nodes' excel file, which is in data/scenarios/scenario name, there is such a file in every scenario. You can change the naming text in all of the relevant rows for the Atlantic sea zones you choose. As well as the numbered grid for the central Atlantic, I have also changed the names of some of the other sea zones to be more appropriate, your choices could be different.

A copy of the 'sea nodes' file is also saved in the game save folder (documents/my games/Time of Fury/saves) every time you save the game. I modified a file from a saved game, which leaves the main scenario files in the TOF game folder untouched, so a new game will not show the changes, neither will previous game saves which each have their own 'sea nodes' file.

I intend to paste the changes into other games and scenarios as I use them, the point to note is that although the 'sea nodes' files look the same, in most scenarios at 286 lines (285 data entries), there is no guarantee that the data is the same order, so I will be checking to ensure that the modified lines are coincident, if applied to other scenarios. 'Overlord' and 'Fall Weiss' have much reduced 'sea nodes' files, because of the reduced map size. Using a saved game means that the the Port data, also in this file, may have changed by Port damage taking place in the game and may vary from a stock scenario file.

The modified file is from a saved game started in 'Fall Gelb' and I need to play some more turns to ensure it's all OK, there should be no problems as it is only a text change, but .....

You can do the same in the 'commanders' excel file, with names like Gamelin, Harris, Doenitz and Goering, who where in high command posts and would not have been in command of specific fleets, divisions or corps. Commanders who were in the Pacific, MacArthur and Oldendorf, also Kesselring appears twice as he could be an air, or ground unit commander, but is filling two slots. Changing these names opens up slots for more appropriate names like admirals Ciliax and Bey, who did command units at sea, von Kleist, Hoth and other leaders that actually did have Korps and Armee commands.

None of this is important and makes no impact on the game, it's only eye-candy to make it look and feel more historically correct, but it's good to have such control over the working of the game.

I did not intend this as a proper mod, just dressing up the saved game I was playing, the forum will not accept the 'sea nodes' file as an attachment, but if you PM me with an e-mail address I can send a copy direct.

(in reply to shermanwar)
Post #: 4
RE: Sea Zone Names - 4/13/2013 1:04:53 PM   
gwgardner

the forum accepts zip files

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 5
RE: Sea Zone Names - 4/13/2013 5:15:25 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner
the forum accepts zip files

I am using jZip, but that was not accepted.

Sent the file to Sherman direct.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/13/2013 5:49:09 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 6
RE: Sea Zone Names - 4/14/2013 3:32:34 AM   
baloo7777

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

You can do the same in the 'commanders' excel file, with names like Gamelin, Harris, Doenitz and Goering, who where in high command posts and would not have been in command of specific fleets, divisions or corps. Commanders who were in the Pacific, MacArthur and Oldendorf, also Kesselring appears twice as he could be an air, or ground unit commander, but is filling two slots. Changing these names opens up slots for more appropriate names like admirals Ciliax and Bey, who did command units at sea, von Kleist, Hoth and other leaders that actually did have Korps and Armee commands.

Do you happen to have a "commanders" file you would share?

JRR

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 7
RE: Sea Zone Names - 4/14/2013 9:53:56 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: baloo7777
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa
quote:

Do you happen to have a "commanders" file you would share?

All I did was edit the scenario 'commanders' Excel file in data/scenarios/scenario name/commanders, I didn't think that Doenitz, or Goering would have a battlefield command, so simply changed their names for other more appropriate names. Altered a few others for better names, but it's personal choice eye-candy.

Like the changes to the 'sea nodes' file this is experimental and I don't know if it will cause problems with the game, it should only be an screen text change. It's working so far, but I have only had time to play a few turns, whilst also trying out version 1.04 beta.

You could try your own edit, backup the originals and be careful not to scramble any of the other file data. If you are changing a game already in progress you will find the commanders file in documents/My Games/Time of Fury/Saves/saved game name, any change to this will not effect the main scenario files if later starting a new game.

I am not claiming this as a serious mod, just exploring the flexibility in the game, but if you want a file, I am having problems getting the forum to accept a zip file, but can send it direct, if you PM an e-mail.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 8
RE: Sea Zone Names - 4/14/2013 2:52:37 PM   
baloo7777

Thank you. I did. Sea nodes looks interesting too.

JRR

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Sea Zone Names Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI