Any XP Issues

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Arjuna

Any XP Issues

Post by Arjuna »

As I mentioned in the Build 4.4.260 thread I am keen to find out from XP users if they have any issues with the latest beta build or not. I would like to know either way. The sooner I get this feedback the sooner we can sign off on the patch #4. Thanks.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

RE: Any XP Issues

Post by Arjuna »

OK so there are no users running XP then. This flies against an earlier poll we took but then I'm OK with that. I'll just assume that everything is honkey dory. Unless I hear something to the contrary by 1000 Saturday morning Canberra time ( UTC+ 10) I will go ahead with a new build 4.4.261 incorporating the two minor changes we have made to the bombardment end time and to the HHour slippage issue. I will be releasing this as a final patch #4.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
loyalcitizen

Post by loyalcitizen »

I am using XP, but I can't download the patch except via the FTP.
No one has put it on the FTP download area, as far as I can tell.
I'd be happy to test and post in 24 hours if the patch was on the FTP.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

I have emailed Erik and Andrew.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

The link has been for a few days in the Registered Downloads for Command Ops you can access from within Matrix site Member's Area.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

loyalcitizen,

Erik advised me that the beta is now available on FTP. How long do you need to install and test?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

The members' area again refuses to let me in. It just won't accept the security code although it is obvious what it's supposed to be and I tried 6 times or so.

Standing by with my old XP notebook.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: redwolf

The members' area again refuses to let me in. It just won't accept the security code although it is obvious what it's supposed to be and I tried 6 times or so.

Have you checked the cookies checkbox? If you don't check that out, I get the same error as you, Redwolf.
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

ORIGINAL: redwolf

Have you checked the cookies checkbox? If you don't check that out, I get the same error as you, Redwolf.
I tried with and without.

I believe that the problem is this interesting piece of software has a problem with going out of sync wrt the image it displays and the image it expects. It's quite obvious that when re-trying there's sometimes a new image right away and sometimes it requires an explicit reload of the page to get the new image. So you end up with the software expecting a new string but the user sees the old image.

I somehow managed to get in at work but I didn't download the patch there and now I don't have it.

Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

Hi,

I run XP but I have been on the road. I have played about 1/2 way through Hoffen and have not seen any issues other than some odd sizes of the order boxes- but I would have to read back through all of the posts to see if this is not working as expected or if there was an issue. I have not had a crash, and I save fairly often. I Odis notice that the IG of the 752 stays attached in this version, which is a problem that I have seen in previous versions when trying to move this unit as a whole and the IG, even if attached when the order is issued, gets left behind.

Anyway I will try to run some more this weekend, but I cannot run anymore this evening.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
loyalcitizen

Post by loyalcitizen »

XP Playtest Report
Just played Battle of the Roadblocks at full speed without any crashes.
-- I looped rocket and shell arty batteries together as a command with no crashes (this was a problem several builds ago, but not for the last 2).
-- I made several attacks setting my own assault time. There was lots of slippage, but most slips were under 15 minutes. When I did a full Division attack to stress test XP, there were a couple of hour-long slips that stacked up to about 3 hours late. That seems fine.
-- My only comment (doubtful due to XP) is to please have the default facing always be checked AUTO and only uncheck it if I manually do so. Too many times I set an attack and the box is suddenly unchecked and I have to either recheck the button or face the arrow in the correct direction. When I load a saved game, units that were on In-Situ Defend are all "unchecked auto" and ALWAYS with arrow straight north.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Thanks loyalcitizen and majorSNAFU. Most appreciated.

BTW the default facing should always be set to Auto. I have just tried various orders including attack and defend in situ and I do not see the Auto facing unchecked. Do you have a save?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

BTW the default facing should always be set to Auto. I have just tried various orders including attack and defend in situ and I do not see the Auto facing unchecked. Do you have a save?

I asked loyalcitizen (Matt) for a saved game a few weeks back, and I couldn't get to reproduce what he was getting. When I opened his saved game, all units facings and frontages were set looking towards reasonable directions. The reason why Matt's getting that is beyond me.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

I have the same thing in my widows 7 vision.
When placing new orders to a different unit the old facing is carried forward to the now order instead of reverting to default settings.
That little problem was introduced a few patches ago now, but as it was very minor problem, and there where "bigger fish to fry" so I never bothered mentioning it.
Also It doesn't always happen, if I remember right, sometimes the default is set so it's kind of hard to put into a saved game.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: Major SNAFU

Hi,

I run XP but I have been on the road. I have played about 1/2 way through Hoffen and have not seen any issues other than some odd sizes of the order boxes- but I would have to read back through all of the posts to see if this is not working as expected or if there was an issue. I have not had a crash, and I save fairly often. I Odis notice that the IG of the 752 stays attached in this version, which is a problem that I have seen in previous versions when trying to move this unit as a whole and the IG, even if attached when the order is issued, gets left behind.

Anyway I will try to run some more this weekend, but I cannot run anymore this evening.

The IG gun is a support unit, with a fairly long bombard range. The Support units tend to stay back as they just move to within their bombardment range of the move order. If you want them to move with the unit then either uncheck basing, or detach it and move it individually.
I hope this is what you mean? It was hard to give a definitive reply to the query without more information.
Daz
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

I don't think this is XP Specific, because I think I saw a post about this and the current beta.

But the new default duration of the Arty is a right pain in the neck. The only way to shut them down is to pick the units, select the targeting icon and delete it. If you don't watch it like a hawk, your ammo is gone in a heartbeat.

Please set this back to the original default duration, or at least nothing more than 15-20 minutes.

You can work around this, but it is just more work on the player.

I finished Hoffen on Fast after giving some very broad orders. No crashes, but I didn't have the time to watch the battle play out so I can't speak to if there were oddities.

I have one other test I want to make, but it will have to be much later today. I was gone for 9 days straight and the Honey-Do list, kids and spouse all must take priority.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

One ping to link them;
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

Hi,

The IG gun is a support unit, with a fairly long bombard range. The Support units tend to stay back as they just move to within their bombardment range of the move order. If you want them to move with the unit then either uncheck basing, or detach it and move it individually.
I hope this is what you mean? It was hard to give a definitive reply to the query without more information.
Daz

So in Hoffen, I sometimes like to move the 752 unit in the North way up and over to the upper left hand side of the map on the wooded hill and leave it there to rest until I feel the time is ripe to flank the town (sorry, don't have access to the maps to give names).

I have seen many time that when I order the 752 as an entire group, that the IG is left behind. This isn't just standing back during an attack, this is being left behind while the rest of the units moves 6+klicks and goes to ground to rest.

This is the first build that I have seen in a long time where the IG doesn't become detached and remain in the original position.

Once I noticed this, I have always made sure that this unit was attached to the main unit before issuing orders.

It may be the case that I make a subsequent command that results in this behaviour, but I cannot imagine what it would be as I usually don't touch that unit again until it has completed it relocation.

I may have some old screenshots, as I was going to write it up at one point - but I never seemed to have the time.

One ping to link them;
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

I don't think this is XP Specific, because I think I saw a post about this and the current beta.

But the new default duration of the Arty is a right pain in the neck. The only way to shut them down is to pick the units, select the targeting icon and delete it. If you don't watch it like a hawk, your ammo is gone in a heartbeat.

Please set this back to the original default duration, or at least nothing more than 15-20 minutes.
Thanks for the test. Are you sure you are using the latest build 4.4.260? It appears at the bottom right of the battlemap in the game.

I just checked by giving an arty unit a bombard order and the default duration is 11 minutes of which the first five or so was spent registering thus giving a 5 minute fire for effect bombardment.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

HI Dave.

I am nearly certain - But I will run a quick test right now.

One ping to link them;
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

Thanks for the test. Are you sure you are using the latest build 4.4.260? It appears at the bottom right of the battlemap in the game.

I just checked by giving an arty unit a bombard order and the default duration is 11 minutes of which the first five or so was spent registering thus giving a 5 minute fire for effect bombardment.

Okay Dave,

Here you go:

Attachments
mainscree..onsmall.gif
mainscree..onsmall.gif (19.82 KiB) Viewed 246 times

One ping to link them;

Return to “Command Ops Series”