Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why AT G for historical scenarios?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Why AT G for historical scenarios? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/10/2013 10:48:37 PM   
mantrain

Just wondering what is the attraction of playing AT G for historical scenarios, for example Waw or Eastern front when there are games that specialize on those specific theatres? I am really trying to get into this game but I have started out in random scenarios, which appears to be the games uniqueness. But is you were going to play an eastern from game, wouldn't you want to play WITE? If you are going to play a Pacific theatre game, wouldn't you get a game that was designed for that theatre, like WIP, etc?

Also, when playing historical games with ATG, do you build up/develope your profile of tech, prodution, etc, as in a random game?

I am interested in knowing what people find the strengths of this game, since there are so many war games out there already? thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/10/2013 11:06:34 PM   
Jafele

I´ll tell you the strengths of ATG:

1-The best random map generator in ANY computer game.
2-Endless enjoyment and replayability playing Multiplayer.
3-Lancer´s mods

In other words, this is not a perfect game but if you play ATG using its strengths you will never get bored.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 2
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/10/2013 11:10:08 PM   
danlongman

The random games with those mods are never ever ending fun

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 3
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/10/2013 11:32:57 PM   
ernieschwitz

The so-called historical scenarios are really small games in themselves. Many of them are modded so that the ATG standard units and rules are almost something entirely new.

WaW is a good example. Here the designer (Tweber) has made it so that you can build things, but it takes longer than normal. He does that introducing concepts like Pre-cursors. Also he has redesigned the tech method completely, it no longer uses Political Points, but a specific Research production that can only be made in research centers....

Also he introduces alot of concepts that you won´t find in any other wargame simulating that theatre (The world). Especially some well thought out what-if start up conditions. I believe his scenario (and possibly mine, GD 1938) are the best hex-based world war II world conquest games.

ATG in my mind is really a wargames construction set, which i have seen it billed as also. It is a dream for modders, if you ask me, with so many options being available, that sometimes the baffling choices that you have are more easy to limit than encompass.

In short, it´s brilliant :D

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 4
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/10/2013 11:46:33 PM   
ernieschwitz

Let me just add here for fun a few of the Stand-alone scenarios (really stand alone games).. that have been made:

Lord of the Rings
American Civil War
A Space Game
The Punic Wars

I´ve even seen a game of spacemarines vs. chaos and orcs....

Where else can you find versatility like that?

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 5
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/11/2013 12:13:50 AM   
Webizen

I've really like playing WWII games but I like to make history and not replay it. ATG is the perfect game for this due to its outstanding re-playability. I've been playing this game for about 5 years and have yet to grow tired of it. Historical based games like the Decisive Campaigns Series are very good too, I just prefer ATG random games more.

Tac2i

Post #: 6
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/11/2013 2:44:17 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

I've really like playing WWII games but I like to make history and not replay it. ATG is the perfect game for this due to its outstanding re-playability. I've been playing this game for about 5 years and have yet to grow tired of it. Historical based games like the Decisive Campaigns Series are very good too, I just prefer ATG random games more.

+1 here.

I own WitE from day one, but sometimes the battle has indeed that "oh I am re-playing WWII", a tedious chore along the whole of the Eastern front. That's just my opinion ofcourse. Some like Larry Fulkerson love it and are a master of it (I know I loved his AAR's) , he was good at TOAW and now in WitE. But for me, I really really like the "what if" factor of ATG. In ATG there need not be an Anzio or Stalingrad, you can create an entirely different game where your "Anzio" or "Stalingrad" are somewhere completely else.

So WitE, or the upcoming WitW, is a great game but to me ATG is the most addictive one. Best bucks I *ever* spent on a wargame.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 7
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/11/2013 4:04:03 PM   
phatkarp

I agree with OP that other, more specialized games do a lot of the well-trodden areas of WWII better than an ATG scenario can or will. But ATG is a powerful engine, and it can do other conflicts that haven't been as well covered. There are middle east scenarios, Vietnam scenarios, a Haiti scenario, etc. in the forums. Some of those are a ton of fun.

I also agree with all of the responses to OP: the strength of ATG is in the random scenario, particularly when played multiplayer. The game requires long-term strategizing, the balancing of all sorts of trade-offs, etc., all on top of an engaging and fun tactical engine. My greatest gaming experiences have been in MP games of ATG.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 8
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/11/2013 6:11:30 PM   
mgaffn1

quote:

ATG in my mind is really a wargames construction set, which i have seen it billed as also. It is a dream for modders, if you ask me, with so many options being available, that sometimes the baffling choices that you have are more easy to limit than encompass.

+1

(I"ve logged about twice as many hours in the editor than playing the game)

Mike

Post #: 9
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/16/2013 9:45:48 AM   
zzmzzm

I like play ATG only for historical scenarios such as Waw or Eastern front. Because in it we can produce much things.

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 10
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 4/17/2013 9:50:33 AM   
FieldOfGlory

Agreed. The random game for ATG is the best in any wargame on the market to date.

Some of the scenarios are really great though. The WAW scenario is just amazing and has no real comparison in any stand alone game that I can think of.

This game reminds me of the old Empire series from the 90's. It's like Empire II on steroids.

(in reply to zzmzzm)
Post #: 11
RE: Why AT G for historical scenarios? - 5/8/2013 9:11:47 PM   
towerbooks3192

This is my type of game. Random map generator for unlimited replayability plus options to get scenarios that you want that are made by other people.

I just wish that it would have a WWI to WWII tech mods or even Medieval Mods that are not scenario based (something like total conversion where your units are swordsmen,spearmen,pike men,siege engines and those sort of stuff)

(in reply to FieldOfGlory)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Why AT G for historical scenarios? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI