Zeno's Warbird Video Drive-In April 2013 Newsletter
Hello World War 2 & jet aircraft fans –
You are invited to drop by Zeno's Warbird Video Drive-In
to view our April flight of seven exciting classic videos streaming over the Web. And there's five premiers!
As always, all of the videos showing on our web site are for your free viewing pleasure. Please help "spread the word" by liking us on Facebook!
Now showing in April "At the Matinee" at Zeno's Drive-In Free admission!
* Recognition of the Heinkel He 177 Bomber - 1942 New - Premier! The Heinkel He 177 Greif (Griffin) was intended to be the Luftwaffe's number one long range heavy bomber in World War 2. Designed before the war, it was built in large numbers. Unfortunately for its crews, it was also tasked with performing precision dive bombing. That resulted in an unusual low drag design where two engines were grouped in a single nacelle on each wing. That proved to be the aircraft's Achilles heel. He 177s had a habit of bursting into flames!
* B-29 Flight Engineer - 1944 New - Premier Excellent B-29 footage showing the aircraft in detail, inside and out. Systems management on the very complex (and often unreliable) B-29 was a critical function. The Flight Engineer was responsible for everything from an extensive per-flight check, through managing engines and other critical systems in flight to ensuring that all necessary repairs and maintenance were preformed after landing. Narrated by Ronald Reagan.
* US Navy Fighter Tactics - 1952 (Color) Digitally restored. Fascinating look at US Navy carrier jet aircraft tactics in the "guns only"' Korean War era. "Aerial Tactics: High Speed, High Altitude Flight Problems" was produced by the Navy Department. This unique film is compelling for two reasons. First, it features truly outstanding color footage of McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee fighters operating singly and in squadron formation, dancing agilely among towering cumulus clouds and flying off carriers. Second, it opens a fascinating window on US Navy carrier launched fighter operations and tactics at the time of the Korean War.
* Ramrod to Emden - 1943 Remastered from a new archival copy. See the P-47 Thunderbolts of Hub Zemke's renowned 56th Fighter Group take on the Luftwaffe in an action packed escort mission over Germany.
Saipan Superforts -1945 Stereo Sound, Color Remastered for broadband streaming Exclusive original documentary from Military Arts Pictures This recently discovered footage shows the 73rd Bomb Wing, based on the island of Saipan in the Marianas, operating against Japan in early 1945. You'll see B-29 pilots & crews on R&R and on mission in their magnificent Superfortresses. The fates of many of the B-29s seen in this picture are documented during the film.
* Employing Heavy Machine Guns in the Attack" 1943 New - Premier!- Restored In the popular mind, the heavy machine gun is usually thought of as a supremely effective defensive weapon. This unique film shows various infantry tactics that can be used to make it a potent part of offensive operations as well.
* The Bulge -- the Battle at St Vith New - Premier! - This remarkable documentary combines eyewitness testimony from an all star cast of key participants on both sides of a critical engagement in the Battle of the Bulge with outstanding archival footage, detailed maps, and a return to revisit the actual terrain where each phase of battle was fought
* New! I've just added B-17 Ground Operations to our "How to Fly the B-17" flight training page -- a great preflight check & takeoff film!
We also show 1940-45 vintage WWII Army & Navy films and pilot's manuals on how to fly the F4U, F6F, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, P-51, P-61, TBF/TBM, AT-6/SNJ, B-17, B-24, B-25, A-20, A-26, B-26, B-29, and Stearman N2S. Alert! - don't miss the F-86 & B-58!
Zeno's Warbird Video Drive-In
World War II Aviation Videos Playing Online 24/7
Now on Twitter @ZenosWarbirds
Web Videos: He 177s, Thundering B-29s, Navy fighter tactics, Zemke’s P-47s, Heavy MGs