Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/7/2013 6:35:11 PM   
M60A3TTS

Weeks 1&2 - June 22-29, 1941

Mehring opened things in the south with a good Lvov pocket that I made no effort to break. Standard Axis opening in the north, center and south. Hoepner'4 4th PG isolates Riga in the north. In the center, Hoth's 3rd PG breaks over the Dnepr north of Vitebsk while Guderian's 2nd PG reaches Mogilev. Von Kleist's 1st PG reaches the outskirts of Vinnitsa in the south.

The Red Army falls back all across the front. weak screen units try to maintain contact with the German lead elements. First priority will be to rebuild Western Front from the better available rifle divisions.

The Red Army Air Force has headed off to the reserve for rebuild and reorganization. Air commands disbanded or scheduled for same: Baltic Fleet, Black Sea Fleet, Moscow, Leningrad PVO, Moscow PVO, Volga MD.

Unlike previous games, I used no railcap for factory evacuation on turn 2, it all went to move troops about.

< Message edited by M60A3TTS -- 4/7/2013 6:42:10 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/7/2013 6:37:14 PM   
M60A3TTS

North

Center

South

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 2
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/7/2013 10:27:08 PM   
Michael T

Good luck M60. Very curious to see how this goes for you.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 3
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/9/2013 1:08:46 AM   
M60A3TTS

Weeks 3&4 - July 3-10, 1941

Mud hit across the front to slow down Mehring and the Axis juggernaut.
No major pockets have been formed since the first turn. I have kept putting brigade units and security regiments in contact with panzer and motorized divisions where possible. Where there are some checkerboards, the lower morale and smaller sized units are along the front. They are not getting any refits in these early turns, replacements have gone for the most part to the units of Reserve and Western Fronts. Zhukov leads STAVKA. A fair number of APs went into aircraft replacement this last turn.

The Finns didn't make much of their first turn. The Janisjarvi Line is strong enough to hold for some time, I hope. Pskov in the north will be given up as units form along the Luga Line. Guderian is in the vicinity of Mogilev-Gomel. No pressure on the direct line to Moscow yet, but Hoth is probably lurking between Smolensk and Velikie Luki. Kleist is north of Nikolaev.

Leningrad, Kiev and D-Town have had key factories evacuated.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 4
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/9/2013 1:11:53 AM   
M60A3TTS

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 5
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/14/2013 6:28:36 PM   
M60A3TTS

Weeks 5&6 - July 17-24, 1941

In the north, the Germans appear readying themselves to break through the lines south of lake Ilmen. Hoth's 3rd PG is east of Velikie Luki. Near Chernigov, Guderian's 2nd PG is over the Dnepr and at the banks of the Desna. Kleist's 1st PG has reached the Dnepr across from Zaporozhye.

A secondary defense line is being set up west of Moscow, along the Lania River. Andrei Eremenko's 31st Army mans the forts on this line while 9 cavalry divisions of Fyodor Tolbukhin's 33rd Army supplement the defenses and are ready to be committed in a reserve role. The main line of defense just east of Smolensk does not appear threatened at the moment.

Since the initial losses in the Bialystok/Lvov pockets, the Red Army hasn't suffered any large scale envelopments.

Air units are still undergoing some reorganization and morale building in the National Reserve.

< Message edited by M60A3TTS -- 4/14/2013 6:29:07 PM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 6
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/14/2013 6:33:27 PM   
M60A3TTS

North

West of Moscow

Gomel-Chernigov

South

Unit losses

Air kills

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 7
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/14/2013 7:36:22 PM   
M60A3TTS

Weeks 7&8 - July 31-August 7, 1941

Little happening in the north, but it appears that the panzer formations of 3rd and 4th PG are going to be battling it out in the Valdai.

In the area east of Smolensk, things remain relatively quiet.

Farther south, Kiev has fallen and Guderian is over the Desna River.

Farther south, Kleist has pushed through the thin screen to the east, reaching the gates of Stalino. STAVKA commits Filipp Golikov's 37th Army to assist 9th Army in surrounding the Wiking and LAH SS divisions with the 16th Panzer.

Factory evacuations continue to be on schedule, with all arms factories in the Stalino area moved out. Kharkov is the last major city still requiring evacuations, and that area is still safe from immediate danger.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 8
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/14/2013 7:43:17 PM   
M60A3TTS

North

East of Smolensk

East of Kiev

Stalino

Organization

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 9
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/14/2013 10:08:26 PM   
Michael T

I can't recall ever seeing a Soviet OOB so high so early, well done.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 10
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/15/2013 1:55:07 AM   
Pelton

Much better job the first few turns M60. No point in fighting forward when there is zero need and no point in not moving 20-30 units from south to north.

That bring's your game into the upper ranks.

Ok the mud did help some :)

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-uyENm3T-0

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 11
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/16/2013 2:19:45 PM   
vandev

Man the russian looks strong here. In my view, the center needs alot of pressure. By center I mean 7 hexes north and south of smolensk. A quite center allows for the strong reinforcement to the valdai hills which is not where I would send alot of force as axis. The valdai hills is a perfect example of strategically very important terrain that you should really take indirectly and slowly so the soviet does not reinforce. This retreating soviet is building up alot of power for when he eventually chooses to fight as well as overloadiing the north and daring the axis to either go all in or go static. A great tactic cause the soviet will just get stronger if the axis decides to go static in an important area.

However, all those 3 stacks of soviet on the front line creates some great pocket opportunities if you can mass and are close enough. This is a very tough soviet defense at this point. Although one that has given up alot of territory.

vandev

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 12
The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/20/2013 3:17:29 PM   
M60A3TTS

Week 9 & 10, Aug 14-21 1941

In the north, two PGs are pushing along with the infantry in the Valdai Hills region.

In the Smolensk sector, things remain quiet as our lines remain quiet 40 miles from Smolensk. A few forays are launched to gain more wins.

In the Kursk-Belgorod region, Guderian finds his 2nd PanzerGruppe short of fuel. Our isolated units were able to link up with front line troops to in turn isolate the Germans.

In the area of Stalino, the SS with Kleist's 1st PanzerGruppe are trying to envelop the city and its defenders.

The one area in which Mehring makes progress is the Crimea, as our defenses give way.

Factory evacuations continue at their regular pace. 20 arms factories have been lost to date. Tank and vehicle plants were evacuated without issue.

In terms of strength, Mehring is not taking much in the way of losses as I've been avoiding a major claah. Soviet losses to date are around 1.3 million.

7 turns of clear weather remaining.

(in reply to vandev)
Post #: 13
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/20/2013 3:20:06 PM   
M60A3TTS

North

Smolensk

Belgorod-Kursk

Stalino

Crimea

Losses

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 14
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/21/2013 11:28:04 AM   
sillyflower

Amazingly low Russian losses. Mehring will struggle from now on.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 15
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/21/2013 12:51:52 PM   
rrbill

Don't get the campaign in the Valdai Hills for Axis.

Otherwise, nice defense/nice atttacks everywhere else.

Interesting game. decision to upgrade SOV commanders early must delay unit creation, maybe waiting for higher quality units, equipment, defensible locations.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 16
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/21/2013 3:51:03 PM   
M60A3TTS

Week 11 & 12 - August 28 & September 4

Mehring goes all in attempting to bag the armies of the Leningrad Front. He continues to push the better part of two PGs to the northeast of the Valdai. On week 11 he managed to sever the rail link near Tikhvin, so a mass evacuation of Red Army units won't be possible. Still, with only 5 weeks of good weather remaining, Mehring has clearly lost any opportunity to threaten Moscow this year. I chose to sacrifice one good cavalry division to cut behind his panzers in order to affect his supply situation once again.

All remains relatively quiet in the Reserve front sector, as Mehring made no attempt to push anything in the direction of Moscow from the northwest.

The Smolensk-Bryansk-Orel area remains fairly quiet with a few battles here and there.

Farther south, Kharkov remains in Soviet hands while the Axis troops make better territorial gains around Stalino-Voroshilovgrad-Rostov. Significant industry was previously pulled out. In the Crimea where h has almost no opposition, Mehring takes Sevastopol and moves up to the Kerch Straits. The 18th Army is slowly reforming there.

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 17
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/21/2013 3:57:31 PM   
M60A3TTS

Northern push

Northwest-Reserve Front area quiet

Smolensk-Bryansk-Orel

Donbas

Guards farming- About three dozen in the making

Miscellaneous numbers

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 18
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 3:44:17 AM   
M60A3TTS

Week 13 & 14 - Sept 11 & 18, 1941

Mehring manages his biggest pocket since the first week of the war in the north. On week 13, he came one hex shy of cutting the Leningrad Front. Now he will be forced to stay in the area another week, to mop up the pocket as big as it is.

He has one other success in the south, striking deep and taking Voronezh. All the IL-2 factories in the city were lost there.

The Red Army continues to remain just east and north of Smolensk. In the far south, Rostov continues to remain in Soviet hands.

So far, there are a total of six guards divisions with more being farmed.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 19
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 3:47:22 AM   
M60A3TTS

Leningrad front pocket

Smolensk

Voronezh

Rostov

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 20
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 4:14:49 AM   
M60A3TTS

Weeks 15 & 16 - September 25 & October 2, 1941

In the north, Mehring has taken Leningrad and wiped out most of the Leningrad Front. But the summer campaign is about over and his panzers formerly in the north are now only starting to reappear in the south.

The area around Vyshny Volochek east of the Valdai remains quiet.

In the area where the German AGC is located, they are busy fending off attacks from seven Soviet armies near Smolensk.

Committed units:
STAVKA 16th, 50th Army
Kalinin Front 24th Army
Western Front 3rd, 4th, 10th, 13th Armies

Farther south, Mehring is making some sort of attempt to drive north with PG1. There is sufficient strength now with troops of Southwestern Front and STAVKA reinforcements to thwart any deep advance.

Despite the losses in the far north, Red Army troop strength is still 1.6 million more than that of Wehrmacht forces.

In the air war, Soviet pilots have now downed 323 Axis planes, with AA defenses accounting for another 976 fascist aircraft.

< Message edited by M60A3TTS -- 4/26/2013 4:15:23 AM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 21
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 4:18:48 AM   
M60A3TTS

Remnants of Leningrad Front

East of the Valdai Hills

Smolensk Operations

West of Tambov

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 22
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 8:18:12 AM   
janh

Interesting how this continued... Didn't expect that hop to Voronezh, expected more a northerly drive of the southern Panzer fist to unhinge the forces locking down AGCs infantry. Could you post a large scale map next time?

Looks like he is poised to strike at Moscow now with northern pincer via Torzhok and Kalinin, and the southern one that is already well east of the Tula-Kaluga line now. I would say the southern one, in open Panzer terrain, is the actual danger. The northern one will probably run out of steam in the woods and swamps before it reaches Moscow. But maybe I underestimate Mehrings tankers?

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 23
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 2:22:06 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

Interesting how this continued... Didn't expect that hop to Voronezh, expected more a northerly drive of the southern Panzer fist to unhinge the forces locking down AGCs infantry. Could you post a large scale map next time?

Looks like he is poised to strike at Moscow now with northern pincer via Torzhok and Kalinin, and the southern one that is already well east of the Tula-Kaluga line now. I would say the southern one, in open Panzer terrain, is the actual danger. The northern one will probably run out of steam in the woods and swamps before it reaches Moscow. But maybe I underestimate Mehrings tankers?

He only has one more clear weather turn, and even with 3 snow turns, it's too late to threaten Moscow this year.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 24
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 2:38:56 PM   
vandev

A very interesting AAR. Only humans could come up with such a front line. Amazing to see a soviet guard making offensive around smolensk in 41. Lack of progress here could be a real danger for the axis. However, the very weak center is balanced by incredible success in the south and the north.

The North has completely collasped, and the key valdia hills region (which is a real pivot point) is in axis hands. In the south looks like crimea has fallen, rostov looks like a goner and vornezh has been taken. Amazing success and many population centers overrun. How much of this southern success can be reversed in blizzard? The soviet will start way forward in the center for 42, but will have poor northern and southern positions. My question is can the soviet fight a 42 battle of titans so far in front of moscow? Did Terge recently answer that question?

The strong soviet army will need to recover alot of terrain this blizzard and the axis offensive is still not over. If Mehring can come up with one more suprise this could really turn into a thriller.

vandev

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 25
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 4:31:11 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: vandev

A very interesting AAR. Only humans could come up with such a front line. Amazing to see a soviet guard making offensive around smolensk in 41. Lack of progress here could be a real danger for the axis. However, the very weak center is balanced by incredible success in the south and the north.

The North has completely collasped, and the key valdia hills region (which is a real pivot point) is in axis hands. In the south looks like crimea has fallen, rostov looks like a goner and vornezh has been taken. Amazing success and many population centers overrun. How much of this southern success can be reversed in blizzard? The soviet will start way forward in the center for 42, but will have poor northern and southern positions. My question is can the soviet fight a 42 battle of titans so far in front of moscow? Did Terge recently answer that question?

The strong soviet army will need to recover alot of terrain this blizzard and the axis offensive is still not over. If Mehring can come up with one more suprise this could really turn into a thriller.

vandev

I will rebuild the Leningrad Front during the mud turns. With the free units returning and 300k of manpower I should see, that will be plenty and even allow me to prepare to bring the Volkhov Front on line.

The south will be more of a challenge, but retaking Voronezh will be a simple matter. At this stage, I have to make decisions regarding the strategic direction of the blizzard offensive. The Western Front attacks are all part of hardening the Red Army. I'd rather do this than throw them in the way of marauding panzer divisions.

(in reply to vandev)
Post #: 26
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 6:41:23 PM   
HITMAN202

M60... Am enjoying yourr AAR. Mehring will face insurmountable problems the next 20 turns. I'm struggling to prepare for blizzard in my game against THEPROS and I have stable lines, everyone is in supply, the lines are straight. I am having difficulty planning effectively. Mehring's forces are so commiitted to the offensive (and he's probably planning a winter campaign also) he'll have little blizzard preparation.

I've never played as the Soviets post turn 17, but as the Axis I have feared having an exposed sector of my front that is out of supply swarmed by Russian units on turn 17. I don't think that an aggressive German response during the 3 snow turns could stabilize the hell so produced on turn 17. The blizzard snowball effect that Pelton talks about would start on turn 17 !!! ???? Thoughts ???

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 27
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/26/2013 7:19:30 PM   
vandev

I would not be suprised at all if axis units are out of supply range in mud. Rail head can't be much past poltava and D town. I had a tough time keeping my stalino spearhead in supply in another game. Rostov and voronezh would have been deep red on turn 18. I bet you can attack axis units that are isolated as a result of long supply lines, even in mud. This is going to be a fun couple of turns to watch.

vandev

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 28
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/27/2013 3:37:18 AM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: HITMAN202

M60... Am enjoying yourr AAR. Mehring will face insurmountable problems the next 20 turns. I'm struggling to prepare for blizzard in my game against THEPROS and I have stable lines, everyone is in supply, the lines are straight. I am having difficulty planning effectively. Mehring's forces are so commiitted to the offensive (and he's probably planning a winter campaign also) he'll have little blizzard preparation.

I've never played as the Soviets post turn 17, but as the Axis I have feared having an exposed sector of my front that is out of supply swarmed by Russian units on turn 17. I don't think that an aggressive German response during the 3 snow turns could stabilize the hell so produced on turn 17. The blizzard snowball effect that Pelton talks about would start on turn 17 !!! ???? Thoughts ???

I agree that Mehring may well try in the last snow turns preceding the blizzard to get a few more licks in. The air recon shows no fort belts of consequence, so he'll have few places to hide when the offensive changes hands.

As far as his supply situation, he is beyond the 100MP mark in the Rostov area, but I don't have a wealth of troops to commit there either. Rostov holding out has been an unexpected surprise. Interestingly, guess who's holding his flank near Rostov? Hungarians, Italians, Rumanians. Hmmmm...

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 29
RE: The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please - 4/27/2013 3:54:56 AM   
M60A3TTS

Week 17 & 18 - October 9 & 16, 1941

The summer campaign has ended as the rains move in. Mehring's little northerly jab west of Tambov amounts to nothing as he pulls back slightly. The Leningrad Front begins reconstitution. At this stage, Mehring has his panzer and motorized divisions redeployed, but there is no real movement at this stage. Red Army forces continue to hold ground on the outskirts of Smolensk.

I'm going to gather up enough transport aircraft and what few airborne brigades remain and see if they can't be used in the coming weeks.

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> The STAVKA War Diaries II - No Mehring please Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI