From: San Antonio, TX
My lessons are many apart from the obligatory drunk turns..
1. Don't do a turn with the girlfriend watching and waiting to go out. She'll say or do something sexy, you'll blow it off and ... well that's the ball game. Jokes about sinking battleships and going down won't help ...
a. Saying "yes" while ignoring point one can lead to unexpected results ala. Adam Sandler "Remote Control". I've ended up having to go to flower shows and interminable shopping expeditions due to this.
b. Never talk about the game at length with girlfriend or at social engagements unless you desire a life as a friendless sexless hermit.
c. Try not to run a turn on laptop in plane, train or any commuter transport. Glazed eyes at the sound of whistling bombs, uncomfortable stares as you pump your fist into the air, kicking the back of the seat in-front of you may cause a real conflict and there's no chance of getting to know the babe across from you.
2. Check out your potential partner for the next 5 years before realizing that the next 10mths will be like playing a turtle AI. And why does it take 96hrs in said situation to get a turn back that has nothing going on?
a. Would you marry someone you only met yesterday? Some do and thankfully marriage and divorce is an easier regret than having a game get to '43 and stop.
b. Its difficult finding a partner that goes all the way. Girls seem to have that aversion with me as well. I've got old playing this game.
c. Never have children.period.
d. Don't cheat. Sure there are other sparkling, alluring, flashy TIT-les out there, but its invariably never as good as you will dream.
3. Don't check your email 30 mins prior to dashing out the door for the subway to work, lest you be late.
4. Don't refresh your email every 2 mins waiting for a turn. Your whole day can pass you by. Hell 7 years of my life have gone by like this!
5. Live the luke warm dream. Play as the Allies.Yes,I buried this in the middle ;-)
6. Being a masochist in the safety of your own living room is better for all concerned.
Ask yourself these questions:
a. Would you ask any sane person if they would play a side that will invariably lose ...
b. Would you ask any non-Commonwealth cricket loving person if they would start a game that may not end, that might not have a result and has many hours of waiting for momentary excitement that could come at any time.
c. Would you love to drop the bomb?
d. Do you rush through the animations after awaiting your turn?
e. Do you bat an eyelid for your digital men on suicide runs?
f. Do you sympathize with your partner when things go wrong, while trying to suppress your smiling glee. Or do you send email jabs that leave them fuming while brushing off any attempt to engage in non-psy-ops banter?
g. Do you hope for WITPII in your lifetime?
Congrats, you're a masochist.
7. What do you mean a T-Rex can't scratch its butt?
8. Stay healthy, buy an ergonomic mouse and expect to get glasses at some point in your future.
a. You can get a disease by playing this game ... Victory is fleeting. Kipling was wrong, or I'm not a man.
b. Addiction is not limited to alcohol, drugs and other assorted nasty's. But at least this is cheap. Matrix games must hate this game. One purchase, forum dweller extraordinaire.
9. Never fight a land war in Asia especially with the AE engine. Okay, I'll admit I know nothing about how to conduct a land war. Planes and ships are so much more prettier ;-)
10. Save lest the power go out, save lest your next mouse click puts an shipping asset into drydock for 3 days, save lest ... well just save a lot!
11. Drunk turns, like the women you might pick up at a bar may seem good at the time, but invariably leads to anguish in the morning.
12. There is more to learn. In everything we do.
Time for Zzzz's. I'll just check my email first ;-)