Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/7/2013 7:40:49 PM   
hewwo

Phew, glad you guys are looking again at that ground combat interface. In general I think y'all need to hire a profession GUI guy to take a look and give some hints. It's obviously not your strongest point, and however much I love DW, esthetically it looks terrible to the point that it makes me play less (note that I'm not complaining about the graphics of ships, planets etc. here, just the gui).

(in reply to nelsonlee)
Post #: 31
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/7/2013 9:12:49 PM   
tjhkkr

Are the graphical sectors playable, are they just to look pretty?
Am I able to move around and avoid combat if I wish?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 32
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/8/2013 3:35:20 PM   
tjhkkr

Hey Erik,

Are the troop Icons a little larger than before? That would help to be able to do see what is happening....

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 33
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/8/2013 7:44:30 PM   
Demonius

MoO3s ground combat interface works quite well with its minimal graphics and the point it brings across - however, it always felt, and most likely was so, that whatever options you chose didnt really affect the outcome of a random dice roll.

And I must agree that the current DW Ground combat ui looks not that pretty- the planet background is too washed out and the side bar star field... just put a transparent layer there, will you?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 34
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/10/2013 9:29:30 PM   
jpwrunyan

You know what is going to bug me the most about the ground combat?

If the landmasses on the planet map for the ground combat don't match the ones on the planet itself viewed from space. Like if it is obvious that they are totally different and unrelated pictures. At this point, maybe it is time to rethink the static graphics for planets and texturize them using 3-d meshes. The final image will still be 2d of course, but programatically generated. And then whether viewed as mercator, equalrectangular, or 3-d hemispherical projection, you will still use the same base texture map and it will still look like the same planet.

Please say you are doing this. Because it is totally doable. We did it on my old project (a weather map that used the same tile images but rendered for polar-stereographic, mercator, and 3-d globe views) and none of us were math-whizzes.

(in reply to Demonius)
Post #: 35
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/10/2013 9:41:02 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan
If the landmasses on the planet map for the ground combat don't match the ones on the planet itself viewed from space. Like if it is obvious that they are totally different and unrelated pictures. At this point, maybe it is time to rethink the static graphics for planets and texturize them using 3-d meshes. The final image will still be 2d of course, but programatically generated. And then whether viewed as mercator, equalrectangular, or 3-d hemispherical projection, you will still use the same base texture map and it will still look like the same planet.

The map for ground combat is representative of the planet type and there is variety, but it is not an exact match for the globe floating in space. Frankly we didn't see the strong need for that as this is a representation rather than a map you move around on. The effects of the planetary terrain are factored into the combat resolution, but this is not a mini-game where the rest of the game stops while you move guys around. In that case, it would make more sense to me. Other than that, it would just be for art variety.

quote:

Please say you are doing this. Because it is totally doable. We did it on my old project (a weather map that used the same tile images but rendered for polar-stereographic, mercator, and 3-d globe views) and none of us were math-whizzes.

We're iterating towards a release candidate now, so I don't expect we'll completely redo a substantial portion of the art. We are doing another pass on the ground combat screen though and we'll improve it as much as we can, but we need to work within the realm of diminishing returns and what will keep us on track for a reasonable release timeframe.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 36
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/10/2013 9:41:54 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
Are the troop Icons a little larger than before? That would help to be able to do see what is happening....

The screen can be viewed in a smaller and larger size. In the larger size, the troop icons are easily visible IMHO.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 37
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/11/2013 1:11:22 AM   
Dracus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arcatus

I am sorry but this looks like crap. I could not stand looking at this screen for more then a few seconds. This is like something pulled from an old DOS game. Even the max/close buttons look out dated.

The big color box across the top hurts my eyes to look at. I think the ground map has too much crammed in for a rep view of the ground. It does not fit the look of the rest of the game.

Maybe move the vs total bar to the side and make it vertical rather then horizonal. Having it over the map view just does not look right at all.

Since it is suppose to be a screen as if I was on a ship looking down at the planet with powerful equipment, maybe give the whole thing a border to give that view screen effect.

Just thought of another idea: have the title bar list only the top line stuff. Move the defender and attacker info to the side. Give that area some kind of data screen look and dump the star back ground since that area would now be covered with data. This would make the view more pleasent looking.

If I had the software tools, I would mock one up for you to show what I mean.

< Message edited by Dracus -- 4/11/2013 2:05:43 AM >

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 38
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/11/2013 10:14:43 PM   
jpwrunyan

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Erik re: planet graphics and ground combat map graphics.

Yeah, I saw from the other thread that this was the case. It's purely a cosmetic issue, I know. It's just one of those things for me. I understand your decision and agree with your priorities--frankly gameplay issues and bugs are what makes or breaks a good game. I doubt most players will have the visual consistency issue register on their radars.

But I hope in the future it's something you guys consider revamping. I am sure Eliot has the skills to do it.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 39
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/11/2013 10:21:54 PM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dracus

I am sorry but this looks like crap. I could not stand looking at this screen for more then a few seconds. This is like something pulled from an old DOS game. Even the max/close buttons look out dated.

The big color box across the top hurts my eyes to look at. I think the ground map has too much crammed in for a rep view of the ground. It does not fit the look of the rest of the game.

Maybe move the vs total bar to the side and make it vertical rather then horizonal. Having it over the map view just does not look right at all.

Since it is suppose to be a screen as if I was on a ship looking down at the planet with powerful equipment, maybe give the whole thing a border to give that view screen effect.

Just thought of another idea: have the title bar list only the top line stuff. Move the defender and attacker info to the side. Give that area some kind of data screen look and dump the star back ground since that area would now be covered with data. This would make the view more pleasent looking.

If I had the software tools, I would mock one up for you to show what I mean.

I didn't understand the star thing on the right until viewing the other posts. I honestly don't like the starfield (#4 in the original picture) because I think it is confused with the actual tactical galaxy map.

Also, it feels like it would be more appropriate to be above the ground map and not to its right since, well, space is up...

I think also instead of a starfield, it would be better just to have solid color gradient fill. Like it would be blue at the planet edge and then change to navy blue and then black at the far edge. Representing the atmosphere.

It would also then make the UI conform vertically. So you would have:

<tactical information box>
<orbital display box>
<ground combat map>

No horizontal elements.

Meh. Bikeshedding.

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 40
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/11/2013 10:38:18 PM   
RockKahn

It sounds like all the modders are fired up and ready to mod the Shadows graphics with some great ideas.

There are already some great mods for Legends. I'll bet Shadows will get the same.

I'm more excited about Shadows now more than ever.

I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 41
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/12/2013 10:03:38 AM   
Arcatus

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dracus

I didn't understand the star thing on the right until viewing the other posts. I honestly don't like the starfield (#4 in the original picture) because I think it is confused with the actual tactical galaxy map.

Also, it feels like it would be more appropriate to be above the ground map and not to its right since, well, space is up...

I think also instead of a starfield, it would be better just to have solid color gradient fill. Like it would be blue at the planet edge and then change to navy blue and then black at the far edge. Representing the atmosphere.

It would also then make the UI conform vertically. So you would have:

<tactical information box>
<orbital display box>
<ground combat map>

No horizontal elements.

Meh. Bikeshedding.

While I agree that your ideas above are pretty good there has been made some design choices and someone will always like someting else better.
Remeber; we have yet to see these animated. I think that will add allot to the overall feel of that design.

(once they patch it up a bit, that is )

Bikeshedding; English isn't my native language so I have not heard that term before, but that is a pretty awesome one. Got to remember that!

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 42
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/12/2013 8:01:02 PM   
Falokis

Erik,

My biggest question is what has been done to improve AI and policy based ship building? What's changed with optimized designs?

I would love to see more options in the policy for ship building. Everything needs options in there. I would even like to see policy for research, so I could tell the AI not to bother with certain tech or put them on a very low priority. Optimized designs I would love to see the AI "fill in the gaps" between optimized designs without changing the whole design.

Anything like this coming with shadows?

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 43
RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! - 4/13/2013 3:09:33 AM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arcatus
While I agree that your ideas above are pretty good there has been made some design choices and someone will always like someting else better.
Remeber; we have yet to see these animated. I think that will add allot to the overall feel of that design.

(once they patch it up a bit, that is )

Bikeshedding; English isn't my native language so I have not heard that term before, but that is a pretty awesome one. Got to remember that!

Yeah, I know. That's why, like I said, I'm just bikeshedding here. I didn't sign up for the beta, so I don't expect anyone to take my opinions too seriously.

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> RE: The Age of Shadows is coming to Distant Worlds! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI