Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fire order

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Fire order Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fire order - 4/2/2013 10:39:51 PM   
pekische

Do you use fire order? And when?
Post #: 1
RE: Fire order - 4/2/2013 10:55:16 PM   
phoenix

Me? Yes. 1. As a cheat, certainly. As Dazkaz has pointed out only recently - it stops all sorts of movements you might need to stop quickly (an attack going badly wrong, for example), because it doesn't have the same orders delay as giving other orders. 2. To suppress when 'manually' arranging attacks of various sorts, commonest of which is trying to take a bridge without it blowing in your face - very important to have suppressing fire on the defenders. I use mortar, but also often peel off a company close to the defenders and give it a direct fire order for that. 3. To use support assets like AT teams (guns, I mean) - place them where they have a good field of fire and tell them exactly what to fire at (armour), watch to see if they hit anything (they usually do).

And others, no doubt.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 4/2/2013 10:57:46 PM >

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 2
RE: Fire order - 4/2/2013 11:07:06 PM   
wodin

Very rarely, bombard at times..but very rare a fire order. Reason again is because I lay my trust in the game..and except things IO don't like as poor leadership etc..again I try and roleplay the game as much as possible..more than actually trying to win or make everything work properly.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 3
RE: Fire order - 4/2/2013 11:10:32 PM   
pekische

1. I understand this reason, even if it is cheat ;)
2. Why dont you leave AI to do its job? I thought that AI always choose the optimal target.... But I have to say I am using fire for AT too. Especially against strong armored threat. Of course I have always bad feeling that it is something what I shouldnt do in this game....

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 4
RE: Fire order - 4/2/2013 11:15:14 PM   
wodin

Well the option wouldn't be there if you weren't allowed to use it. I will admit there have been times I've given fire orders to AT guns last time I think it was a COTA scenario.

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 5
RE: Fire order - 4/2/2013 11:15:23 PM   
pekische

... and I am not speaking about bombardment (it is likely that everybody sometimes use this order). My question is about "fire".... ;)

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 6
RE: Fire order - 4/3/2013 9:07:50 AM   
phoenix

One of the nice things about the game, Pekische, is that you can play it to different levels of immersion and interference. You in fact take on the 'roles' of many different commanders, I suppose. It's not possible to play it otherwise. (You can just give an order to the on-map boss, to take something etc, but that's very limited and unreal [for starters you would need to be able to ask he/she to split their force between objectives, which you can't] and the results are not impressive - as has been mentioned many times, the game works best if you give your orders at roughly battallion level - which means, in effect, that you are 'role-playing' many different people.) So, as Wodin hints, I wouldn't worry about playing it whichever way you see fit.

As to why I don't leave support fire to the AI sometimes (for example, the crucial secure bridge tasks), I just don't trust it, and with good reason. We know now that if you give a Bn a secure bridge task with 'Arty Direct Spt only' ticked then you will not get a preliminary bombard, and a bombard is essential, I think, if you really want that bridge intact. Ditto the AI plans to attack - I have rarely seen the AI park a company with a good field of fire, then suppress the target whilst another company attacks. This is likely because such things happen at the abstracted sub-company level (which is as it should be - the idea of an entire company providing supression sounds not very authentic, perhaps) - with individual platoons within a company doing that role whilst other platoons within the same company attack. But you don't see any of that, and it is certainly the case that if you take matters into your own hands and plot it all manually then the results are more guaranteed, or, at the very least, you can see them, and know that what you wanted to happen is happening. I just think of it as me getting into my command car, driving down there and telling the company commanders exactly what I want. :)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 4/3/2013 9:08:11 AM >

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 7
RE: Fire order - 4/3/2013 10:03:49 AM   
wodin

Saying all that MrP..there is no need to fully micromanage every unit. I find on the whole Battalion level orders with the odd time stepping in to position a coy etc works well.

Also remember your never actually any commander as such..as they are only as good as their stats no matter what you ask them to do. Which is something I really like.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 8
RE: Fire order - 4/3/2013 12:56:58 PM   
pekische

Thx for your answers;) Thats fact that it was one of the biggest problems when i began play this game. I cant find my "role", I didnt understand where is my place and what service does the game expect from me.... I had to play many battles, to read many AARs to understand it better. But I think this is big problem for many players tryinf this game. And I think many of them give up because that. Maybe any other tutorial videos could be made for better starting position of greenhorns.... And back to my question ;) Thus in which situation do you issue order "fire" (i mean direct fire)? As i said I use it sometimes for ATs and rarely for tanks.... and you?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Fire order - 4/3/2013 2:17:04 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: pekische

... and I am not speaking about bombardment (it is likely that everybody sometimes use this order). My question is about "fire".... ;)

I use fire orders primarily as suppressive fire usually for another task group's attack order, but also disruptive fire when facing an attack.

In attack, rather than assigning a full battalion to form up into an attack formation and take an objective held by a company or platoon, I'll assign enough from a battalion to outnumber the force identified at the attack objective, and order the remaining units from their command organizations in line of sight of a target to provide direct suppressive fire on the enemy formation while the attackers form up.

It's particularly useful when heavy bombardment assets are engaged in other tasks.

The disruptive fire against an attacking force is particularly useful when I know there are friendly assets available to get to the point where the assault is most likely aimed, but those assets are in need of time to move and form up into a defensive formation to be more effective.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 10
RE: Fire order - 4/3/2013 2:37:03 PM   
phoenix

My answers, Pekiische - and Wodin's - were about the 'fire' order.

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 11
RE: Fire order - 4/3/2013 3:20:10 PM   
pekische

Those are nice tips, jim! ;)

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Fire order Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI