Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Enemy ships spotted!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Enemy ships spotted! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Enemy ships spotted! - 4/2/2013 9:51:00 AM   
SwedenJens

Hi,

I have a question about the operational report. Some of the reports I get just doesn't seem right.
For example in my current scenario I get 2 japanese ships spotted outside Sydney. I have scouted this area
with several air groups, subs and destroyers but I'm not finding anything. It feels unlikely that 2 japanese ships
would operate in this area right now.

Another thing I've noticed sometimes is that up to 6-7 enemy ships can be spotted in the middle of no where and when
I'm trying to find them they're gone. Even though I put a lot of resources to this mission.

My questions are:
Q1 How reliable are these reports? If I'm getting a report about 6-7 ships spotted, can I be 100% sure that at least 1 Eship is in the area?

Q2 If the answer to Q1 is that the report is not always reliable, is there any realistic explaination on why someone would report 6 ships when there are none?

Q3 If I'm especially worried about a report and want more information, is there anything I can do besides sending Naval Search and subs?

I appreciate your help!

/Jens

< Message edited by SwedenJens -- 4/2/2013 9:52:43 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/2/2013 10:12:42 AM   
margeorg

Hello Jens!

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwedenJens
My questions are:
Q1 How reliable are these reports? If I'm getting a report about 6-7 ships spotted, can I be 100% sure that at least 1 Eship is in the area?

This is called "FOW" (Fog of War). Your Recons are most likely reporting your own ships as hostiles ones. Especially at the outbreak of the war, when your crews are unexperienced, this will happen quite often. Serious sighting reports will show an anamy TF symbol on the map when the turn is completed. Anything else has to be viewed with all due reservation.

quote:

Q2 If the answer to Q1 is that the report is not always reliable, is there any realistic explaination on why someone would report 6 ships when there are none?

Yeah, because the recon has falsly reported own ships as hostiles, has greatly overexaggerated the number of ships, or made ofther mistakes.

quote:

Q3 If I'm especially worried about a report and want more information, is there anything I can do besides sending Naval Search and subs?

ASW Patrols (both air and naval) to detect subs, naval search missions to spot enemy TFs. But You should learn to live with about 30-50% false or misleading reports. C´est la guerre :).

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to SwedenJens)
Post #: 2
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/2/2013 10:16:23 AM   
wdolson

Or turn off fog of war (can be done if playing against the AI). Training up pilots on the search mission should improve the number of false reports.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 3
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/2/2013 10:28:15 AM   
SwedenJens

Unexperienced pilots/crews reporting your own ships as hostile ones, that makes sence! Thank you

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/3/2013 7:38:50 AM   
Commander Cody

I tend to ignore those reports of "8 ships by Isle of Pines" or whatever. Even the coastwatchers aren't necessarily accurate. Something tells me they had access to some wacky stuff back then.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to SwedenJens)
Post #: 5
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/3/2013 2:20:33 PM   
AirGriff

Typically, if you get the report plus an icon on the map, then something's there. What, is the question If you don't see an icon associated with the report, then it's likely your pilot is a little hung over from the night before. This little tidbit comes with the caution that your search may spot something in the AM phase and display the icon indicating a likely sighting, and then in the PM phase not pick it up and you won't see the icon during orders. And of course this comes with the large caution that your searches may not have picked up anything and there could still be something lurking out there.

(in reply to Commander Cody)
Post #: 6
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/3/2013 3:24:57 PM   
rockmedic109

I've been getting daily coastwatcher reports of various ships from BB Mutsu to lowly Marus at Ferni Island. I've come to the conclusion that the coastwatcher team on Ferni has been captured and forced to feed false info back to me.

(in reply to AirGriff)
Post #: 7
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/3/2013 4:42:18 PM   
Lokasenna

It's likely that there's some kind of ship there, my guess would be some kind of tender if you're getting reports sometimes that it's a combat ship. AV is most likely, maybe even a CS.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 8
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 4:32:50 AM   
Q-Ball

That brings up a point on Coastwatchers: I find them useless. Alot of the information is clearly wrong, certain ships in port, etc. Once intel gets lower than 60% accurate or so, it's no longer actionable. It's useless. This is where, I think, Coastwatchers are.

Not sure if that is other's experience......

(in reply to SwedenJens)
Post #: 9
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 4:54:20 AM   
Quixote

I tend to agree with Q-Ball, and I've played more WitPAE as Japan than as the Allies. For Japan, at least four out of five times my coast watchers are reporting something completely false. In original WitP I paid attention to what my coast watchers reported. Not so much any more with AE.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 10
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 5:07:37 AM   
Commander Cody

Q-Ball: I read very little of the operational report, and definitely not the coastwatcher part of it. That said, I play against the AI and do several things to handicap myself in order to make it more of a challenge.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 11
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 5:13:52 AM   
Alfred

Coastwatchers are not necessarily giving false information. The issue is that they report on the situation as known to them before enemy ship movement occurs. By the time the human player regains access to the game to give orders the situation reported by the coastwatcher is no longer valid.

Alfred

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 12
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 5:24:55 AM   
Quixote

Alfred, while you are correct in some cases, try playing Japan in PBEM. After the 150th time your coast watchers tell you that there are Allied ships at Pakhoi, Wenchow, or both (when you know this to be false) you learn to ignore at least some of your coast watchers fairly quickly...

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 13
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 7:23:49 AM   
jmalter

I tend to discount Coastwatcher reports, even if it gives a specific ship-name. 'bout all you can be sure of, is that the enemy owns the base & has LCU there.

search-planes will often provide 'spurious' contacts, & will often mis-identify ship types (TKs reported as CVs or vice-versa). High-EXP pilots w/ 70+ NavS skill are more reliable, but are still able to get it wrong.

wrt "2 Japanese ships spotted near Sydney", this kind of info is most likely to mean "1 IJ submarine".

also you will occaisionally get an Intel report of an enemy fleet at sea, in an area where you have no air-search at all. these reports are often reliable!

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 14
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 11:02:28 AM   
czert2

quote:

ORIGINAL: margeorg

ASW Patrols (both air and naval) to detect subs, naval search missions to spot enemy TFs. But You should learn to live with about 30-50% false or misleading reports. C´est la guerre :).

Are ships/planes send on asw patrol able to detect surface forces too ? Afterr all, they should see object on sea, whey they looking for things under sea.

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 15
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 1:06:24 PM   
margeorg

AFAIK yes, but with reduced success.

Cheers
Martin

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 16
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 7:51:02 PM   
Alfred

Never set a squadron to ASW expecting it to find any surface TF. For game purposes a sub TF is not the same as any surface TF.

Alfred

(in reply to margeorg)
Post #: 17
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/5/2013 11:48:03 PM   
Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quixote

Alfred, while you are correct in some cases, try playing Japan in PBEM. After the 150th time your coast watchers tell you that there are Allied ships at Pakhoi, Wenchow, or both (when you know this to be false) you learn to ignore at least some of your coast watchers fairly quickly...

You need to put more effort into training up your coastwatchers, maybe that will be a feature of the next edition! Tracking your coastwatchers by name, accuracy ratings, upgrading their binoculars...

Currently Playing:
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (learning, not really playing ;) )
LST 325 Fanboy!

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 18
RE: Enemy ships spotted! - 4/6/2013 5:08:22 AM   
jmalter

i'm up for that 'coastwatchers' patch, Justus2 - w/ linkage to SubTransportTF missions to provide them w/ binocs, radio parts, & the odd case of 'Olde Kentucky Home', on the return trip they bring back a few of those MIA pilots.

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Enemy ships spotted! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI