Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why all of a sudden no buildable designs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? - 3/31/2013 2:01:11 AM   
Galandar

So I'm playing along as a human, happy as a clam, 800,000+ credits, lots of colonies, respectable reputation, and plenty of allies. So I want to upgrade my fleets not based at a planet by adding an extra cruiser. I open the construction screen and it tells me I don't have any buildable designs for cruisers. All of my fleets already have cruisers. Why all of a sudden would I not have any buildable designs? And here I was doing so well. Anyone else ever have this happen?
Post #: 1
RE: Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? - 3/31/2013 3:29:35 AM   
ceyan

If you research a new technology with a critical component to a design (sensors, damage control, etc...) that you didn't have previously then the AI will design a new version of the appropriate hulls with that new component without adjusting for size restrictions.

(in reply to Galandar)
Post #: 2
RE: Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? - 3/31/2013 3:59:21 AM   
pipewrench

Can you tell i'm bored.....

Did you just finish research on a technology , when added to a the cruiser design put you over the hull limit size you have for cruisers. reactors

follow along
1. select design screen and set drop down to all designs
2. find the cruiser design.
3. note the size of the current design.
4. double click on the cruiser to display its internal specifications.
5. notice the warning showing that the design is too big for the hull.
6. close the window and bring up the design window again (1).
7. manually build a new design
8. remove components until the hull size warning disappears and then save the design.

special note
make sure that the design is not marked obsolete. (design panel far right column Obs will show a * symbol if obsolete. If it is just highlight the ship in step 2 and click on the Obs column to remove the * to make the design active.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pipewrench -- 3/31/2013 4:00:12 AM >

“Why is the place you drive on is a parkway, and the place you park on is the driveway?”

(in reply to Galandar)
Post #: 3
RE: Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? - 3/31/2013 4:23:05 AM   
Galandar

Wow! Thanks. I knew this game had an almost unlimited amount of variables, and that's why I enjoy it. Not sure what I did. I am fairly new to this game, although not new to the genre. I didn't want to start messing around with designs, so I left that automated; however, I didn't think about the implications of research and that I could research myself out of a hull size. I really didn't want to scrap that game, so I jumped back to my previous auto-backup and my cruisers were still there. Dang! I bet I know what I did. I didn't diddle with research too much, but I DID do a lot of tech trading with some allies. Bet that's what bit me. I'm assuming that if I just wanted to play my way out of it, I could have done so by researching larger hull sizes?

(in reply to pipewrench)
Post #: 4
RE: Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? - 3/31/2013 4:34:30 AM   
Bingeling

The AI designs would start fitting again if you got larger hull sizes researched.

At least in the past, it has quite often been the case that you can build a cruiser at the very start, before they become unavailable for quite a long time as you start researching more (and somewhat larger) components. That is if you use the AI designer, of course. If it is just trivial amounts too large, it should be simple enough to drop some armor, a gun, or a shield (or all). Whenever new tech becomes available, the AI will create a new (default) design, and you may have to do the same again.

(in reply to Galandar)
Post #: 5
RE: Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? - 3/31/2013 10:36:54 AM   
towerbooks3192

Hey pipewrench!

Any plans of making a tutorial series like that? That thing looks pretty neat!!

(in reply to pipewrench)
Post #: 6
RE: Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? - 4/1/2013 12:28:23 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Good job, pipewrench!

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 7
RE: Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? - 4/1/2013 6:43:57 PM   
ScottenChi

quote:

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Hey pipewrench!

Any plans of making a tutorial series like that? That thing looks pretty neat!!

I think Pipewrench plans to have everyone over to his house for Distant Worlds training sessions

(in reply to towerbooks3192)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Why all of a sudden no buildable designs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI