Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: questions, questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: questions, questions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: questions, questions - 3/31/2013 3:57:18 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Question #6: when you click on "show soft" when examining an LCU, what does the TOE column represent? Specifically what does "-" mean, what does "0" mean and what does "[>0]" mean?

That column means how many days until a TOE upgrade for that unit. "-" means no TOE upgrades (or none remaining). "0" means the unit is ready to upgrade TOE now. There are conditions for doing so. Best I remember, in a base, in rest mode, within 2x the command radius of a command HQ, and I presume there is a supply minimum but if so I don't know what it is.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 31
RE: questions, questions - 3/31/2013 4:24:08 AM   
geofflambert

Thank you once more, wi-ta-puh-kyooz, but I fear this post has superceded my most brilliant and important post preceding yours. Shame on you!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 32
RE: questions, questions - 3/31/2013 8:49:17 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: FDRLincoln

I've gotten in the habit of checking every front-line air unit at least twice a week in game-time, culling out any pilots that the program has added who need additional training or don't really belong. It definitely adds to the burden of the game, but I have to admit some sick, twisted part of me loves the micromanagement.

If you put the your air unit on manual this won't happen. I'd sooner manual add pilots than remove them, much easier to control and use, those groups short of pilots are highlighted in red.

That's different - you are right but about a different point. If a group is on A (automatic) for pilot selection then the game will stick pilots in there whenever it judges the group to be short. As you point out, it uses different criteria than the player might to choose those pilots.

But even with groups on M (manual) for pilot selection they are subject to named pilots, defined in the scenario file, showing up at that squadron on the date assigned in the scenario file. That's what I was referring to.

I didn't even know there where name pilots added to an air group. I've always thought all new pilots went into the pool, I'll take a look at that.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 33
RE: questions, questions - 3/31/2013 7:29:07 PM   
geofflambert

Question #7: For the purposes of selecting commanders what constitutes a "rear area"? Does it include units not on the front line but subject to air attack? What about an air base commander at a base where squadrons are conducting combat missions? I'm thinking the only place you don't want "rear area" commanders in contact with enemy LCUs, at a port where you are anticipating possible amphibious attack, or somewhere you fear might receive an airborne attack.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 34
RE: questions, questions - 3/31/2013 9:38:41 PM   
geofflambert

Okay, so I'm probably not going to get an answer to #7 because it's a boneheaded question. At least someone could make fun of me.

Question #8: This is probably an easy one, why does the fortification option go red at some bases after level 6 is achieved? Probably because further fortification is possible at that particular base, but you don't have enough supply to actually initiate it. Go ahead, somebody make fun of me.

Post #: 35
RE: questions, questions - 3/31/2013 10:43:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Okay, so I'm probably not going to get an answer to #7 because it's a boneheaded question. At least someone could make fun of me.

Bonehead.

Oh, I'm kidding...

I don't think it makes that much difference re: where a rear area HQ is relative to the front lines. The 'recommended for' descriptions are pretty vague and nebulous-I don't think there's any hard rules about how they apply. I've always thought that the 'rear area HQ' guys are good at Admin, but suck at everything important for an assault commander.

Post #: 36
RE: questions, questions - 3/31/2013 10:45:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Question #8: This is probably an easy one, why does the fortification option go red at some bases after level 6 is achieved? Probably because further fortification is possible at that particular base, but you don't have enough supply to actually initiate it. Go ahead, somebody make fun of me.

OK. Bonehead.

I didn't want to say it, because I think you're absolutely correct. But you kind of made me. Supply has to be >20,000 to proceed so, yes, it's in the red because of insufficent supply.

Post #: 37
RE: questions, questions - 3/31/2013 10:59:07 PM   
Blackhorse

Nebulous about covers it.

From what I can tell, there are certain threshholds in leadership, land and aggressiveness that have to met for a LCU-commander to be identified as a good "assault" or "combat" commander. Everybody else defaults to "rear area."

IMHO, it would be much more helpful if your AI-aide could tell you, "this leader is only good for counting paper clips at a naval depot in Nebraska."

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Bonehead.

Oh, I'm kidding...

I don't think it makes that much difference re: where a rear area HQ is relative to the front lines. The 'recommended for' descriptions are pretty vague and nebulous-I don't think there's any hard rules about how they apply. I've always thought that the 'rear area HQ' guys are good at Admin, but suck at everything important for an assault commander.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 38
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 3:43:13 AM   
geofflambert

But what are the criteria for being rated a bonehead?

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 39
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 6:23:10 AM   
geofflambert

OK, this is not an official question, it's really OT, but as many of you may know, I'm a professional songwriter when I'm not crushing upstart newbies in WitP-AE. I've got a song with a nautical theme I've been working on called "Gorn between two lubbers" that I want to release, I'm hoping Rip Torn will sing it, but I'm afraid that some of those "one woman one man" people whom I shall not name will object. Does anyone have any advice for me?

If I can't get Rip Torn to do it, I'm thinking maybe Mickey O'Rourke will.

I sure hope I don't have to settle for Gary Busey!

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 4/1/2013 6:30:03 AM >

Post #: 40
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 8:40:00 AM   
Chris H

quote:

There's also a restriction on size for Atols, greys out in this instance though.

Post #: 41
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 8:42:26 AM   
Chris H

quote:

Asking too many questions

Post #: 42
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 8:42:57 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

quote:

Asking too many questions?

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 43
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 11:55:05 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

I'm a professional songwriter when I'm not crushing upstart newbies in WitP-AE. I've got a song with a nautical theme I've been working on called "Gorn between two lubbers" that I want to release, I'm hoping Rip Torn will sing it, but I'm afraid that some of those "one woman one man" people whom I shall not name will object. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Yep. Don't quit your day job.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 44
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 1:16:51 PM   
Ranger5355

The criteria of 'boneheadedness' is defined by your wife.

Post #: 45
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 1:22:50 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

quote:

I'm a professional songwriter when I'm not crushing upstart newbies in WitP-AE. I've got a song with a nautical theme I've been working on called "Gorn between two lubbers" that I want to release, I'm hoping Rip Torn will sing it, but I'm afraid that some of those "one woman one man" people whom I shall not name will object. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Yep. Don't quit your day job.

...and if you push on anyway, Rip Torn's rendition might be rather, uh, earthy.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 46
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 3:02:19 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

OK, this is not an official question, it's really OT, but as many of you may know, I'm a professional songwriter when I'm not crushing upstart newbies in WitP-AE. I've got a song with a nautical theme I've been working on called "Gorn between two lubbers" that I want to release, I'm hoping Rip Torn will sing it, but I'm afraid that some of those "one woman one man" people whom I shall not name will object. Does anyone have any advice for me?

If I can't get Rip Torn to do it, I'm thinking maybe Mickey O'Rourke will.

I sure hope I don't have to settle for Gary Busey!

Any of the above will do nicely, but if this is an autobiographical tale, then you must do the singing yourself.

Post #: 47
RE: questions, questions - 4/1/2013 4:03:38 PM   
Lecivius

Webster

cache - noun \ˈkash\

Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: questions, questions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI