Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't get APs to completely unload

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Can't get APs to completely unload Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/28/2013 4:36:58 PM   
blueatoll

I've got two APs that have been unloading the same radar gear on Efate (port level 1) for nearly a month. If I pull them back to Noumea, they unload the heavy equipment immediately. Without the radar gear unloading on Efate, I get the unit incomplete, no replacements notification for the main unit on Efate. The Japanese are starting to gun for the island and I need the replacements. How do I get this equipment to unload?

Do I unload it in Noumea and then reload onto an AK?
Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/28/2013 4:48:14 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: blueatoll

I've got two APs that have been unloading the same radar gear on Efate (port level 1) for nearly a month. If I pull them back to Noumea, they unload the heavy equipment immediately. Without the radar gear unloading on Efate, I get the unit incomplete, no replacements notification for the main unit on Efate. The Japanese are starting to gun for the island and I need the replacements. How do I get this equipment to unload?

Do I unload it in Noumea and then reload onto an AK?
Thanks

port is too small for a radar set to be unloaded. Bring some nav support and it will unload.

(in reply to blueatoll)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/28/2013 4:51:09 PM   
blueatoll

When you say NAV support what are you referring to? Is there a specific ship I need to move there? I'm already building up the port but you know how long that takes.

I have no idea how to use the myriad of support vessels (AGs, ADs, AVs, AEs, etc.) in the game except AOs.

Sorry, new to the game.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/28/2013 4:55:57 PM   
cdnice

I believe he was referring to units with Naval Support in them, like an additional Naval Base Unit or HQ unit. I had the same issue and it took me awhile before I figured it out as well thanks to someone here.

(in reply to blueatoll)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/28/2013 4:57:54 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: blueatoll

When you say NAV support what are you referring to? Is there a specific ship I need to move there? I'm already building up the port but you know how long that takes.

I have no idea how to use the myriad of support vessels (AGs, ADs, AVs, AEs, etc.) in the game except AOs.

Sorry, new to the game.

what cdnice says: NAVAL SUPPORT. To be found in base forces.

(in reply to blueatoll)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/28/2013 5:23:12 PM   
Sardaukar

Some items in units, that are extremely difficult to unload in small ports:

- radars
- engineering vehicles
- motorized support

You'd need either land unit in base with Naval Support squads or specialized Amphibious Assault ships, to unload them in very small ports (AKA,APA,LST etc..not sure even if AP/AK can do it, xAK/xAP definitely cannot).

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/28/2013 6:37:03 PM   
Lokasenna

Find one of the A/B/C/D/E USN Port Svc Det. units and fly them in.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/28/2013 7:46:39 PM   
Sardaukar

Or land any Base Force with Naval Support, with few dozen of those squads, you will be able to unload anything.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/29/2013 12:36:41 AM   
teseo tesei

It happened to me also. The port size is too small. I had to send a different unit and increase he size of the port
Perhaps as someone told could also help unit with naval support in helping unload such a unit
Hope it helps
Paolo

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/29/2013 12:47:41 AM   
rockmedic109

You can also land a SeaBee unit and have them build the port to 2.

(in reply to teseo tesei)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/29/2013 1:27:29 AM   
Sardaukar

It's realistic.

Try to land a bulldozer with lifeboat.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 11
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/29/2013 2:04:45 AM   
DivePac88

I use those little USN Port services detachments (A-F Det Port Svc) for this sort of landing. They have 30x naval support, and they are light, even air-portable and easy to sea-lift.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 12
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/29/2013 8:50:37 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I use those little USN Port services detachments (A-F Det Port Svc) for this sort of landing. They have 30x naval support, and they are light, even air-portable and easy to sea-lift.

After it happened to me a few times I incuded a Port Syc det in every major and most minor invasions. These six little units became the busyiest and best units I had. Once you have other units with naval support you can ship them out.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 13
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/29/2013 9:54:28 AM   
teseo tesei

Dear Saradaukar,

sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean with lifeboat?

Thanks

Paolo

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 14
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/29/2013 2:01:06 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

After it happened to me a few times I incuded a Port Syc det in every major and most minor invasions. These six little units became the busyiest and best units I had. Once you have other units with naval support you can ship them out.

every Allied invasion of mine includes a US base force (brings 200 support squads), at least one USAAF base force (brings 60 av support) and one of the most important a USN base force (brings 100 nav support squads).

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 15
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/29/2013 2:43:04 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: teseo tesei

Dear Saradaukar,

sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean with lifeboat?

Thanks

Paolo

He's not talking about in-game, he's giving a real-life example. So he literally means a life boat, like ships carry for when they sink. his point is that the ships in the game have various capabilities built-in, that are not displayed separately. AP and AK ships have landing craft. APA, LSD, and AKA have landing craft and the ability to more quickly load/unload them. LST, LCI, etc. are beaching type ships that pull right up to the beach and lower ramps.

xAP, xAK, xAKL type ships have no landing craft and are not beaching type ships. They rely on facilities at the port to help them unload. They do have some boats (maybe not just life boats), but those are more like launches or ships' boats, not landing craft. So they have a limited ability to put troops and cargo directly ashore. When it comes to cargo, like those radar sets, each such 'device' (in game terms) has a size (in the scenario file) which is an abstraction of its weight, size, and shape. Its size influences how difficult it is to load and unload. Those radar sets are big and that makes them difficult to unload where there is not port or a small port. xAP, xAK, xAKL ships do not have the ability to do so without help.

Help comes in different forms.

1) Port size is the easiest. The larger a port is, the more docking facilities, cranes, barges, personnel, etc. are available to help load and unload cargo.

2) Naval Support are squads that provide various types of support, both to repair/resupply ships and to load/unload ships. Shore Party are certain types of squads that also help load/unload ships, but can not perform the other functions which Naval Support squads perform (they do not repair or resupply ships, for example). Naval Support and Shore Party types are 'devices' in the game, just like so many things are and they are abstractions that include the necessary men and equipment (rigging gear, launches, whatever). You should realize that Naval Support and Shore Party squads do have have to be called naval support or shore party. Those abilities are (in effect) check boxes in the scenario files. So, for example, there are some squads that do certain other things but also have Shore Party abilities. You might notice that when you look at a base display you see something like "30 Naval Support + 12 Shore Party". Also, the game abstracts Naval Support being spread out to ports that are close by for at least some cases.

3) Other ships in the TF. Ships that have built-in landing craft (like AP/AK, APA/LSD/AKA) or that are beaching types (LST, LCI, etc.) will provide assistance to unload other ships in the same TF after they have completely finished their own unloading. So, if you include one or more of those kind of ships in the same TF with your xAP/xAK/xAKL ships, they can often help with unloading at small ports or over the beach.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to teseo tesei)
Post #: 16
RE: Can't get APs to completely unload - 3/29/2013 5:24:58 PM   
Sardaukar

Excellent summary, witpqs!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Can't get APs to completely unload Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI