Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How many have you played?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How many have you played? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 1:29:08 PM   
obvert

Out of curiosity, and based on the thread started by kentcol, I got to wondering how many games people have played?

I know this is hard to quantify with all of the starts and stops that occur both in PBEMs and against the AI, maybe hard to just remember for players who have long histories with this set of games. Whatever you think is significant in your history with UV, WITP and AE. Yes, all of them!

It's also great to see how many people have going now. Include opponents if you like.

So if you remember or just want to give an approximation, here's a template to copy. Just put a number down for full campaigns and if you want to include scenarios put that under with an indicator of which ones and how many times. I'll start with mine.

UV:

AI-

PBEM-

WITP: bought in 8/2010

AI- 1

(A into late 42)

some small scenarios to start

PBEM- 0

WITP AE: bought in 11/2010

AI- 2

(A into 43)(IJ into 43)

PBEM- 3

(IJ into mid 42-Dan Nichols) (IJ current-4/44-Jockmeister) (IJ current 6/42-Historiker)

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/28/2013 3:36:35 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 1:49:01 PM   
castor troy

don't know how many games I have played so far but considering I stared in 2004 and have played an average of 3 PBEM turns a day it got to be a total of somewhere around 10,000 PBEM turns. I am no computer game addict you know.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/28/2013 1:51:27 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2
RE: How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 2:44:26 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

don't know how many games I have played so far but considering I stared in 2004 and have played an average of 3 PBEM turns a day it got to be a total of somewhere around 10,000 PBEM turns. I am no computer game addict you know.

If I averaged three turns per day, I'd be divorced! The wife gets a bit miffed when I do two in one night during the week or four on a weekend day. As long as I keep it to one per day, she's fine. When I start going beyond that, I get "the look" and some choice words thrown my way.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 3
RE: How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 3:47:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

quote:

If I averaged three turns per day, I'd be divorced! The wife gets a bit miffed when I do two in one night during the week or four on a weekend day. As long as I keep it to one per day, she's fine. When I start going beyond that, I get "the look" and some choice words thrown my way.

I've gotten Girl of the Prairie to the point she sometimes watches the combat movie with me, and texts me during her lunch to ask how the turn went. She never learned much WWII history or Asian geography and as a teacher she loves to learn.

Give it a try.

The Moose

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 4
RE: How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 4:10:50 PM   
n01487477

PACWAR - way too much
CStrike - when I wasn't playing PacWar.

25 Feb 2006 WITP
AI - numerous X when learning
PBEM -
1 V NYGiants (BB1.4)after he took over from a guy who bailed on me as I was heading into India.
1 V Nemo121 (EA mod) (non went the distance though), Nemo and I in the last game racked up 50K plane losses by mid '43 - it was epic. We stopped it at one point and then AE came out... we both said we regretted not finishing it though.
15 Sep 2009 AE
AI - couldn't go back to GC_AI after PBEM, so for a few months just played small scenario's to learn the mechanics and then a load of testing for tracker etc.
PBEM -
3 Turns (from Seille) V NYGiants59 - when he destroyed all CV's in one fell swoop. This might go as the shortest PBEM ?? Or are there 2nd day jitters out there ?
1 Vs Floyd (GC1 with my econ mod ... Still ongoing) and many small scenario PBEM with him too.
1 Vs Nemo121 (Armageddon) - stopped.
2 V MacLinehan - Small scenario's. He's a gent and all round good guy.

So, not as much as I would have liked due to programming and testing Tracker for both WITP & now AE. But I've played some quality guys and for that I am grateful.

After I finish my mod (ongoing tweaking since 12/2011), I'll be looking for a new dance partner though ;-)

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5
RE: How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 4:34:28 PM   
ny59giants

Got WITP as personal Christmas gift in Dec '04 from me to me.
Then, AE when it came out.

WITP - I remember playing the AI as Allies with the May 42 mod. Then, went over to PBEM.
1EyedJack (Mike) as Allies playing Iron Storm mod. We got into mid-42, but my computer kept crashing during play so I had to quit.
Played another mod which was the RHS series, but don't remember who. Game again went into mid-42. Had another brief game using RHS as basis that was Nemo's mod (don't remember the name.).
Economics Minister for John 3rd vs Canoerebel for over one year of actual game play. Damian was my backup as he taught me to use Tracker.
Briefly against Damian in May '42 as his opponent fleed and I wanted to try to save India.

AE - played briefly vs AI before going back to PBEM.
JuanG's mod with extra BB vs FatR. I lost quickly and badly as Japan. He held Singapore till April and when I got to Palembang in May the Oil/Refineries were almost totally destroyed. Thus, we ended in mid-42.
I think I started a brief game vs John 3rd in very early RA. We then briefly has a 2x2 that ended.
I think I had another, but don't remember.
There was the brief one using scenario 2 vs Juergen that had him lose too many Japanese CV off Noumea in mid-42.
Current, playing scenario 2 as Japan in early March '44. The longest PBEM to date. One as Allies vs Olorin using DBB 30 that is in March 43.

Intent is to 'finally' complete a game or two.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 6
RE: How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 4:43:59 PM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

GF MK1 got used to it, at some point... took her years though and I sure know what ya mean with "the look"

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 7
RE: How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 4:58:06 PM   
Sardaukar

WitP as Xmas gift, Dec 2004.
AE when it came out.

Wife Mk 1 actually liked me playing these games, since I could stop anytime and come to help with dishes etc.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Post #: 8
RE: How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 6:23:48 PM   
Miller

UV - Roughly 30 or so PBEM against at least a dozen opponents - won approx 70%

WITP - Half a dozen PBEM - Lost/was losing the lot when they ended.

AE - 3 PBEM games, won one, lost one, one ongoing.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 9
RE: How many have you played? - 3/28/2013 8:13:09 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

WitP as Xmas gift, Dec 2004.
AE when it came out.

Wife Mk 1 actually liked me playing these games, since I could stop anytime and come to help with dishes etc.

+1

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 4:05:56 AM   
bigred

quote:

quote:

me too!

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 11
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 3:06:15 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

I've gotten Girl of the Prairie to the point she sometimes watches the combat movie with me, and texts me during her lunch to ask how the turn went. She never learned much WWII history or Asian geography and as a teacher she loves to learn.

Give it a try.

Hey, would Girl of the Prairie mind trying to sway my wife to think the same way? My wife's not too big on history, but she does get into pretty scenery. Maybe the prairie girl can take the "the South Pacific is filled with all kinds of natural beauty" approach.

< Message edited by Icedawg -- 3/29/2013 3:13:05 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 12
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 3:10:55 PM   
Lecivius

My wife keeps asking "You gonna go down & play?" ( man cave is in the basement)

25 years of marriage, finally got her trained

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 13
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 3:12:03 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

quote:

quote:

GF MK1 got used to it, at some point... took her years though and I sure know what ya mean with "the look"

Yeah, it's very distinctive. You can almost see the words "Yellow Pages", "Divorce Attorney" and "Phone Number" in her eyes.

Post #: 14
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 3:19:17 PM   
Icedawg

To answer the OP's original question: just two ongoing games in AE. One GC against Khyberbill (up to late June 1942 so far) and a Guadalcanal game against U2 (up to mid June 1942 so far).

Can't go back to the AI after these games. PBEM is just so much better. The only thing playing against the AI has going for it is instant return of turns. Both my opponents however are really good about turn-around times, so I seldom have long waits.

Also, can't go back to stock after playing DBB scenarios. The less-bloody air combat model is really the key here. The cargo capacity reduction and the reduced air and naval support are also nice, but it's the more realistic air combat that makes it so much better.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 15
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 3:31:45 PM   
Canoerebel

1.  UV - purchased early 2003.  Played:  Admiral Dadman, John III (several times), Miller (several times).
2.  WitP - purchassed '05, started playing '07.  Played: John III, Miller.
3.  AE - purchased on release.  Played:  Q-Ball, Chez Da Jez, Panzerjaeger Hortlund, John III.

I have tried, subtly and not-so-sutbtly, to entice Nemo into a AE match, but couldn't ever pin the critter down.  I hope someday to take on Poultry Lad, Bullwinkle and GreyJoy (and any of a number of other good folks out there).

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 16
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 4:04:07 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Give it a try.

Hey, would Girl of the Prairie mind trying to sway my wife to think the same way? My wife's not too big on history, but she does get into pretty scenery. Maybe the prairie girl can take the "the South Pacific is filled with all kinds of natural beauty" approach.

Google up some photos of the various islands. (Now, you know, not with explosions and such.)

GOTP is interested in things I am, and vice versa. I've learned a LOT about running a large, modern farm from her. I am, truly, Boy of the Suburbs.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 3/29/2013 4:08:18 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 17
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 4:05:43 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

We have our PCs in the same room, ex-bedroom. On a lot of weekends during the long winter she does special education paperwork while I watch the NFL and play AE. Same room, it's nice. The cat picks one of us to use for heat.

The Moose

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 18
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 4:07:53 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

1.  UV - purchased early 2003.  Played:  Admiral Dadman, John III (several times), Miller (several times).
3.  AE - purchased on release.  Played:  Q-Ball, Chez Da Jez, Panzerjaeger Hortlund, John III.

I have tried, subtly and not-so-sutbtly, to entice Nemo into a AE match, but couldn't ever pin the critter down.  I hope someday to take on Poultry Lad, Bullwinkle and GreyJoy (and any of a number of other good folks out there).

Hey, I'll play you, but you gotta play the red guys.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 19
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 4:29:43 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

We have our PCs in the same room, ex-bedroom. On a lot of weekends during the long winter she does special education paperwork while I watch the NFL and play AE. Same room, it's nice. The cat picks one of us to use for heat.

Same thing here.. I just bring the laptop into our bedroom.. she watches Netflix all night..I read, do work, and play AE when I have the time.

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 20
RE: How many have you played? - 3/29/2013 10:09:38 PM   
98ZJUSMC

Gotta train 'em right.

We're surrounded. Good. That simplifies the problem.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 21
RE: How many have you played? - 3/30/2013 12:44:40 AM   
Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Ahem! Why is my name not in the AE list!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 22
RE: How many have you played? - 3/30/2013 12:55:03 AM   
Misconduct

I've had 7-8 games played so far, mainly against John, were currently in early 1944 right now and will likely be our last game for a while, we also play Panzer General.

We prefer doing the short scenarios, in between a campaign, because of him I became a JFB for while but enjoy the allies more.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 23
RE: How many have you played? - 3/30/2013 1:07:38 AM   
DivePac88

Didn't ever play WitP, and never would play AE... As these are just games for unsophisticated, undeveloped, immature juveniles, and I am above this level.

Edit; Oops... that's strange, my noise appears to be growing.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 24
RE: How many have you played? - 3/30/2013 2:32:20 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller
Ahem! Why is my name not in the AE list!

Oops, correct list:

1. UV - purchased early 2003. Played: Admiral Dadman, John III (several times), Miller (several times).
2. WitP - purchassed '05, started playing '07. Played: John III, Miller.
3. AE - purchased on release. Played: Miller, Q-Ball, Chez Da Jez, Panzerjaeger Hortlund, John III.

Some places I haven't invaded yet: Rabaul, Truk, Guam, Saipan, Tinian

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/30/2013 2:34:25 AM >

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 25
RE: How many have you played? - 3/30/2013 3:55:42 AM   
DOCUP

Only AE

AE
Canal Scen  Played Koniu  Got my butt handed to me.
GC 1  Playing Koniu Apr 43  

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 26
RE: How many have you played? - 3/30/2013 10:11:19 AM   
Speedy

Good question.

Played all 3 of them since release.

Can't remember how many UV games I've played.

Played 4 x WITP PBEM games. Lost 1 (Pompack).

Played 2 x AE PBEM. Both on going. A 3rd will start in the next 6-9 months when my game with Fabertong is finished and won!

WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 27
RE: How many have you played? - 3/30/2013 4:18:14 PM   
Cap Mandrake

UV: Couple of games. Got my booty kicked a few times. Won a few times.

WITP: Started an AI game. Couldnt stand it because the AI kept making the same mistakes so I joined a team game on Allies side. Good fun. The Empire failed to capture Soerabaja after an epic fight and had a stake driven into its heart in August '42 when simultaneous carrier battles off Timor and Eastern Oz sank all the IJN carriers on the same day. Fear And Loathing in the Pacific

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=861689

Second team game as Allies ended in "43 sometime after a disastrous, failed Japanese invasion of Perth and then an Allied landing at Moulmein and capture of Bangkok and Luzon in early 43. From Here It SEEMS Like an Eternity.*

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1180532&mpage=1&key=eternity

AE: Team Scenario 2 game going on now with Admiral Lord SPrior and Admirar Rord Nerson and Admirar Rord Fabertong. Rittah Yerrow Baastards just sank 3 CVE is 2 days.

Played 2 1000 mile war mirror games, Fun scenario.

2 Coral Sea mirror games.. fun and short.

2 Marianas mirror games..hard to play as Japan

Was playing one Guadalcanal scenario but ran into an email problem with my opponent.

* By ra way, does anyone know what happened to Tabpub?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/30/2013 4:29:11 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 28
RE: How many have you played? - 3/30/2013 10:52:43 PM   
Canoerebel

When I began reading WitP AARs back in '06 or '07, a few caught my eye for whatever reason.  One of those was Speedy v. Admiral Dadman.  If memory serves, Speedy was the Allies and Dadman had invaded India relatively late.  A second was Moses v. JWilkerson.  A third was John III v. Somebody (Wolfpack???) in which John had invaded Hawaii in an operation called Eastern Wind.  A fourth was a game - I think involving Raverdave??? - in which the Allies lost all or most of Australia.

Reading good AARs is a blast, though time keeps me from following many good ones.

In AE, the epic clash between GreyJoy and Rader was a blast, in part becuase GreyJoy came back from utter anilhilation and in part because of GreyJoy's spectacular use and abuse of the English language.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 29
RE: How many have you played? - 3/31/2013 12:25:50 AM   
Speedy

Canoerebel you're memory is fairly accurate. That was one of my most fun packed moments and times in WitP against Dadman. I was the Japanese IIRC. Impressed people remember that far back. Makes writing AAR's worthwhile

WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How many have you played? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI