Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 3/27/2013 10:29:07 PM   
Agema

It's a bit late to say this, but I think you really needed to use - and by use, I mean probably sacrifice - some of your start units delaying him at key blocking points. Defending is usually advantageous, and you've cheaply abandoned a vast amount of ground that will probably prove expensive to recover when you have the power to do so (as your Shermans discovered), because he'll have the advantage of defence. In the long run, a few Stuarts and odd units are cheap at the price.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 31
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 3/27/2013 10:50:35 PM   
wodin

There was\is a great scenario in COTA that teaches using the delay move and the withdraw move...you slowly withdrew your units using the delay move setting waypoints..I'm sure at some point withdraw move was used aswell. I have a feeling not many people use this command (delay) as they never played this particular COTA scenario. The command is extremely useful and most likely very under used.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agema

It's a bit late to say this, but I think you really needed to use - and by use, I mean probably sacrifice - some of your start units delaying him at key blocking points. Defending is usually advantageous, and you've cheaply abandoned a vast amount of ground that will probably prove expensive to recover when you have the power to do so (as your Shermans discovered), because he'll have the advantage of defence. In the long run, a few Stuarts and odd units are cheap at the price.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Agema)
Post #: 32
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 3/27/2013 10:54:42 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Oh dear. Just checked again. They weren't out of ammo. The only ones out of ammo were the destroyed tanks - the 105mm guns. My mistake.

That's allright, mate

quote:

I'll correct the posts. Though that makes their demise even more puzzling. 30 Shermans against 9 Panzer IV and 6 Stugs and I lose over 20 Shermans? It's not fair.

What were his losses? Any hint of that? FOW in Command Ops is quite unforgiving, and it's very difficult to assess the damage you're doing to enemy units.

quote:

they were exhausted, of course.

Well, that can make quite a difference, by making the probability of bad outcomes to be higher.

In any case, thank you for been so attentive to detail. I think it's sort of an empirical law that MP games AAR's are an unvaluable source of feedback. Basically because players, when facing a human, become way more attentive to details.

Besides being really interesting to watch, of course

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 33
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 3/27/2013 11:41:02 PM   
phoenix

Thanks Bletch. There were no losses shown for the Axis, which doesn't mean there weren't any, sure. I would have thought it made a difference that mine were required to assault when demoralised, tired and a shambles. BUt I didn't expect that much difference. I wonder if Yakstock posted anything about this battle? (You would know, I don't.) Next time we play I'll ask what his losses were, if any.

You certianly attend more when playing a human (well, I do, at any rate), as it seems to 'mean' more, what happens.

Thanks for the (late) suggestions, Agema. Not sure I agree, but, I am also playing this sceanario against Sharper at the moment (no AAR plans), where I have experimented with keeping holding units in place. No real difference to report, save the expected loss of those units. It would be worth it, I agree, if you could guarantee that it would actually hold him up substantially, or if you had enough reinforcements in the pipeline soon enough to stage a relief (to keep the ground, even if you're not worried about the units). But as Axis you would be mad (surely?) not to flank these outpost units instead of tackling head on? And then, in a 14 day scenario, you really can afford to just let them starve uselessly, then attack when they're really very weak, with very few of your own units. For me, playing Axis, the ground at Baraque and sth of Oster has been very much secondary to Manhay and Grandmenil, and I've always just gone round the outposts there. (I've only ever played Axis against the AI, which is, of course, easier). I certainly don't think that keeping holding units in place (and sacrificing them) is a panacea in this classic situation where you have a force much weaker than the enemy, a lot of ground to cover, rich possibilities for movement, and hence vulnerable supply lines. Not saying I've got it right, any of it, but there is certainly more than one way to skin a cat. Holding units at Baraque would not have prevented his armour from marching up the east, bothering my supply lines and getting into a nice defensive postion from which my Shermans are finding it hard to oust him - he was already committed to that course (and I could see it clearly happening) and half way up there before my first orders even got through to my units. Remember he has no orders delay at the beginning, whilst I do. In the game I'm playing against Sharper he has been even more aggressive and has cut my main supply route within the first hour and a half. It's at least an hour before my units start acting on my first orders (about 45 mins before they even get them), so with all that space up the east, there's not much I can do to prevent movement up there.

I think if I've made errors it's in being too cautious with putting together units - as Bletch has suggested - that could disrupt his plans, threaten his supply routes etc, at a price to me. But I'm still trying to work out how that could have been done, safely (in terms of not getting overrun - it's possible to lose this battle, I think, as Axis, right at the beginning, within 6 or so days, by letting the Axis get right behind you, so you have no supply - this was, after all, an Axis speciality - so that as the reinforcements come through you can only fight for the ground around your SEPs with everythign else lost, because there is so much space and the Axis has such an advantage at the beginning)

I used a 'delay' retreat, Wodin, a little later, as you may have seen. It worked, but it doesn't always, especially if you really wish to control the speed of withdrawal. Then a Move or Withdraw has in my experience been the fastest to get acted upon.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 3/27/2013 11:56:29 PM >

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 34
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 3/29/2013 4:00:20 AM   
wodin

Mr P..the COTA scenario had the Germans funneling down two paths with a mountain on each side of the paths, one path on the right of the map the other on the left..your small force had to delay them slowly, timing the delay and withdrawals with the Objectives lighting up or turning off. It's one of those scenarios that stick in your head years after playing (it was perfectly made, right size, right objectives and timings in place, right pacing). It really taught me about the beauty of those commands and when and to do them to be most effective, and they where effective aswell. Sadly since then I haven't barely used those commands and I should make far more use of them. They where introduced in COTA and the scenario was used to teach you how to use them set in Greece I believe. When the COTA expansion comes out I will; certainly play that scenario again.

Anyway sorry for taking you off topic.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/29/2013 4:01:18 AM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 35
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/1/2013 6:26:53 PM   
phoenix

Day 3 12.28

Apologies for unprofessional graphics.

1.TF Mc George has arrived, not quite as knackered as the last batch of reinforcements, but I've already ordered them against his armour blocking my road south here (marked 1) and they have already been repulsed. The intel doesn't show much. I thought TF Mcgeorge - with its armour - would deal with this issue, but now I'm having to consider that the intel shows only the tip of the iceberg and there's a lot more enemy armour here than I thought. I am considering moving TF McGeorge back to a blocking position at the red circle marked 'D', where they will have the benefit of being in defence. I don't think they are going to be able to evict his armour and I'm worried they will suffer the same fate as 40 Tank and be crushed, leaving his armour free to roam into my base and supply area.
2. 48 Arm Inf has been able to rest a bit. I am debating whether to hold it in a blocking position here (marked 2) or withdraw it to the crossroads marked 'C'. There haven't been any attacks here for a few hours. I suspect he's been blocked and so gone round the back up to the more northern poistion. Be nice to be able to send up a spotter plane to find out.
3. Parker's men have got out of Manhay and are trashed. They need pulling out copmpletely, to rest. I am considering pulling them also back to position 'C'. But after darkness.
4. I am holding Grandmenil with 2 Bns, but worried about him coming through the previously mentioned gaps (yellow arrows). I originally sent TF Kane to block the most eastern gap, but then his forces actually started to appear north-west of Grandmenil, so have sent them there now. I want them to block the enemy there so I can actually use the big red road after nightfall, because I have no intention of making a stand in Grandmenil when he is clearly massing forces at 4a for a big night attack. I will withdraw after darkness to the position marked 'B' in red.
5. I forgot until this morning that Briscol is an exit for the Axis. I hope he does exit some troops. The loss of manpower would be more helpful than the points he'll get. I have a small blocking force there which I will withdraw to position 'A' in red, and reinforce with some other forces drawn from the Grandmenil garrison.
6. He's probing my supply and higher HQ area (at 6), and I will send some forces down to repell him. I'm hoping, again, that the intel doesn't just show the tip of a large attacking force.
7. These 2 units blocking here (position 7) are not strong enough to hold him if he really throws something at them, and I think they should go back to crossroads 'C' as well.

So - what's uppermost in my mind? This: I have some arty reinforcements coming in tomorrow (day 4) then nothing (almost) until day 7!!! In other words, I have to somehow, somewhere, hold him with just the forces on the map. I think this will be very hard. My present thinking is to pull back at the end of day 3 to the positions marked in red and form a new 'line' on that basis, concentrating as much as I can. I'm looking for a position I can defend and not be cut-off in. Then i somehow have to hang in there until day 7, when reinforcements start to arrive.

To be honest I think I have used the right tactics here, thus far. That's what I think now. Because he is very strong indeed in these first seven days (playing this scenario against the AI gives no idea of how strong he is, because the AI is very conservative and cautious, I've found, compared to a human and doesn't use the forces available so aggressively). I'm convinced that if I had (a) tried to block him in more advanced positions, or delay him more there, (b) separated off choice parts of my meagre forces and tried to get behind him, to disrupt his plans, then I would have ended up with all those forces cut off and dead. The first 7 days of this, for the Allies, are definitely a desperate defensive battle. And with him being so strong I don't think I can spare any manpower. Those who might think that this has been too cautious a game plan should try this scenario, as Allies, against a decent human player, I think, to show me what exactly they mean (post an AAR showing me).

There. I must be feeling sensitive. I blame the loss of 40 Tank. That was a blow.

All that said, if anyone reading this (if there's anyone reading this!!) wants to seriously suggest an alternative strategy to running and trying to find good, defensive ground which I might hold without being cut-off, then please - all suggestions VERY welcome. But remember - it's now going to be 4 days with no reinforcements, essentially.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 4/1/2013 6:58:23 PM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 36
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/2/2013 9:26:32 PM   
dazkaz15

Just want to let you know I am following, and very much enjoying your AAR Phoenix.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 37
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/2/2013 10:30:38 PM   
phoenix

Very kind, Daz. Cheers.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 38
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/4/2013 1:06:37 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

I've found Paint.NET to be a surprisingly simple yet feature rich graphics application, most useful to illustrate AAR's. You can get it here: http://www.getpaint.net

Regarding the tactics discussions.

If you're referring to my comments, don't take them too much to heart I do see that you've adjusted your tactics already, yet I can't say that's because the influence of any of Agema's or mine own comments.

I'd love to take the gauntlet you've thrown, but helping Dave is consuming 110% of my spare time (and on top of that, the time difference between us is just crazy). One thing I can suggest, though, is that when the game is over and you can access Yakstock's AAR, to play the game in hotseat mode and mimic his moves with the Germans.

Actually, that would be a good "exercise" for anybody reading both AAR's.

Regarding the present situation. Your plan about falling back and regrouping seems sound to me. Just make sure you have some strength blocking approaches and a reserve. This might prove very difficult.

Another tactical tip which you might find very useful regarding the use of artillery assets in the defense. You can assign and detach artillery assets to forces with defense orders without causing replanning if you issue a Defend task to an already defending force, while selecting as well artillery assets and selecting the "In Situ" formation. Detaching non-line units from a Defend task shouldn't cause a replan (and even if you detach line units, the effects of replanning while on the defense aren't too bad, as a replan implies your forces will be remaining in place for a while).

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 39
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/4/2013 9:46:51 AM   
phoenix

Thanks B-G. And I was niether reacting nor challenging you, honest! All your comments have been most useful and most welcome.

I'm really enjoying the game, but I am finding it amazing how different the experience is to playing the AI at this scenario. As I've said before, the AI is more cautious and you can get mislead into thinking that the Axis is therefore not quite the force it is when handled by a capable human.

Hope you can find a human opponent over there when you have more time, as it really is great fun playing humans, a very different thing, as you know.

Post #: 40
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/4/2013 11:35:45 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

Thanks B-G. And I was niether reacting nor challenging you, honest! All your comments have been most useful and most welcome.

I'm really enjoying the game, but I am finding it amazing how different the experience is to playing the AI at this scenario. As I've said before, the AI is more cautious and you can get mislead into thinking that the Axis is therefore not quite the force it is when handled by a capable human.

Hope you can find a human opponent over there when you have more time, as it really is great fun playing humans, a very different thing, as you know.

I have been reading his AAR's. He is not just human, he is more akin to Rommel than anyone I have met

There will certainly be no shame in losing to him, if it should come to that

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 4/4/2013 11:37:23 AM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 41
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/4/2013 11:43:46 AM   
phoenix

He has Rommel's weaknesses too, I hope. We will not lose. Have no fear. He will get no more than a draw. I swear it.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 42
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/4/2013 12:23:36 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

He has Rommel's weaknesses too, I hope.

Like being the kind of guy that bails out when it hits the fan? That's a big one, but not one of Yakstock, I think

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 43
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/4/2013 12:48:11 PM   
phoenix

I was thinkig more of over-extended lines of supply.

Post #: 44
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/4/2013 1:02:39 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

I was thinkig more of over-extended lines of supply.

Hear, hear

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 45
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/6/2013 3:52:05 AM   
dazkaz15

I've made you a present Phoenix.
Better late than never

Attachment (1)

Post #: 46
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/6/2013 10:21:45 AM   
phoenix

Fantastic, Daz. Love it. Many thanks! I hope Yakstock can't find it!!!! I see that I could probably win if I exit troops to Houfalize.......not much chance of that, sadly. I wonder if I will manage to get the battle down to that side at all.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 47
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/6/2013 11:50:25 AM   
dazkaz15

No problem mate. Glad you like it.

How many Occupation points have you managed to acumulate on the objectives you have been defending on so far, if I may ask?

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 48
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/6/2013 7:29:27 PM   
dazkaz15

I've done some more work on how to represent the objectives better on the map.

I know it looks a bit messy at first glance, but it is quite useful.

The objectives now have in arrows with the time that they open on them generally coming from the direction of friendly lines where I have been able to fit them in. The exit arrows from the objectives, have the time that the objective closes at. Generally facing in the direction you would advance in, once the objective has closed, towards the enemy.

I have also placed the graphical representation of the points that are available on that objective, for the time it is open.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 49
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/6/2013 8:31:10 PM   
wodin

Daz the first screenshot is getting to busy mate. Not sure it's much help. Sometimes less is better. The second screenshot any reason why it isn't in start order? Start order would make more sense and make it quicker to see the order of the obj's.

Apart from that my respect for putting in the time to do it.

looking again..yeah the first screenshot is getting to confusing. I think just keeping the circles colour coded is easy enough.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/6/2013 8:32:32 PM >

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 50
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/7/2013 8:39:29 AM   
Bazza042

Daz,

I really like your first attempt which gives, at a glance, all the information required.

I personlly find your second attempt a bit 'busy' - the information is there you just have to work a bit harder to find it....

Are these one off diagrams that you manually prepare, or do you have some form of conversion program?

Would be interested if you have

Thanks for your efforts.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 51
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/7/2013 9:32:07 PM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bazza042

Daz,

I really like your first attempt which gives, at a glance, all the information required.

I personlly find your second attempt a bit 'busy' - the information is there you just have to work a bit harder to find it....

Are these one off diagrams that you manually prepare, or do you have some form of conversion program?

Thanks for your efforts.

Hi Bazza

There manually prepared I'm affraid.

(in reply to Bazza042)
Post #: 52
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/8/2013 5:16:44 PM   
wodin

I agree..as i said less is more sometimes..don't think there is any need for the arrows etc..the first version was bets, oh and as I said I'd put the order of the middle screenshot with the first live obj's top and descending in time to start order.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Bazza042

Daz,

Thanks for your efforts.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/8/2013 5:17:01 PM >

(in reply to Bazza042)
Post #: 53
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/8/2013 7:36:58 PM   
phoenix

Evening day 3. 19.36

As per plan. I'm withdrawing from Grandmenil. I've pulled back TF McGeorge.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 4/8/2013 9:10:41 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 54
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/8/2013 8:55:49 PM   
wodin

Sorry mate for interrupting your AAR..

Also can't see the screenshot mate.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 55
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/8/2013 9:11:46 PM   
phoenix

Thanks Wodin. Posted it again.

Morning Day 4 below

Basically I have pulled back to the blocking positions I outlined further back in this thread.

The unit off to the east - A 509 - was a stranded unit, but in good shape. I decided to experiment with it. I'm sending it to cut his supply route at Petites Tailles (just off pic). I'm hoping he will see it and imagine all sorts of grim things. Like it's just the vanguard for a huge surge in reinforcements. I have ordered B33 (a mere 4 Shermans) to join it.

The big change here is that I have suddenly (crap commander, me?) remembered that Briscol isn't just an Axis Exit objective, but is where 2 big arty reinforcements arrive for me on Day 4, and where half my main reinforcements arrive on days 7 and 8!!!!!!!!!!!! So I need it. Otherwise those reinforcements will arrive cut-off, boxed-in and useless.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that the realisation of this error left me very depressed (well, not at all depressed, because it's only a game, but you know what I mean....)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 4/8/2013 9:18:51 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 56
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/8/2013 9:19:34 PM   
phoenix

The fate of cut-off units.

This is how A 509 looked when it got itself to Petites Tailles. It's very tired, but otherwise in good shape. Plenty of ammo. It had a few hours rest before he engaged it, just after this pic was taken (with, according to the intel, an Engineer unit). I immediately ordered it to withdraw. It surrendered. It still had supply. Too knackered and depressed, I guess. I know how the commander felt.....

B33, meanwhile, up north, was blocked by a unit of stugs (5 stugs, the intel said) and promptly lost 2 Shermans and fled. It's done for now. No fuel. I've turned its supply requests to min, to try to stop trucks being wasted as they try to supply it. This is a prob with the supply system, I think. I know that all that is going to happen if the base tries to supply that unit is that it will lose valuable jeeps. I'd like to be able to switch off its supply, completely.

Over in the West, one of my arty units has arrived - the 183. But is it ever going to get out of that box? Nope.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 4/8/2013 9:25:48 PM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 57
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/8/2013 9:26:48 PM   
phoenix

So. My miserable plight.

1. These 2 very valuable arty reinforcements (the 18th and the 183rd) are destined to never get out of here, despite my efforts to save them. My error. I should have defended Briscol. I do stage a fierce battle now to try to get back in there, but mainly I've only arty to throw at the fight. And so has he, it seems. This little corner fight turns very bloody and within a few hours most of the units you see here at 1 will be destroyed. Yep.
2. Reinforcements. All I get before day 7. A Bn - the 517. They're my reserve. yeah, right. I intend to move them to plug one of the gaps highlighted by the yellow arrows.
3. The BIG YELLOW ARROW. A huge gap. It's dense forest, but he could sneak infantry through it during the night. If he does then I think the game is his for the taking. There's not much I can do. I can strip off units to block him, of course, for a time. But like that the slow attrition will continue, because those blocking units always get killed. And if there's hardly anything left by the time my reinforcements arrive on days 7, 8 and 9 then I won't be able to stage a comeback. Because I know that as I get reinforcements, so does he. I've lost over 20 units so far. It's hard for me not to think that this game - in which I've achieved minor victories as allies against the AI - is not balanced properly for the allies, if playing a decent human opponent (one of the key things I would stress from this battle is how VERY different it can be playing a human - like a different game altogether). He has played extremely well, of course, but he's had a lot of materiel to do it with. He could have played as badly as the AI has against me, in the past, and then it would have been diff - so I'm not detracting at all from his skill - it's been a learning experience - but it's also been an experience of not having enough to stop a competent commander, no matter what I might have tried. I'd love to be proved wrong on that by someone more competent than myself. Form a line....
4. TF McGeorge - the only concentration of armour I have left, really (and it's only 28 Shermans) is doing nothing, but I dare not move it somewhere else because the main road north will then be clear for him and the last I could see he had armour there waiting. Interestingly, his armour there hasn't attacked TF McGeorge and that makes me wonder if he has either withdrawn or if he didn't have much armour there in the first place. Just not sure. Certainly, if he knew that TF McGeorge comprises nearly all my armour and that's a measly 28 Shermans then he would realise that he could probably muster a force easily capable enough to erase TF McG as he did 40n Tank earlier.
5. 5 just shows my blocking line. Across the length of it there is basically 4 incomplete Bns. That's all I have. I hope he thinks there's more than this!
6, 7, 8 and 9 - with the red arrows - show where I expect he will attack during the next day. I will be able to hold out for about a day, I think, if he does attack these obvious places. Maybe longer. Maybe long enough to get more men on day 7.
10, 11 and 12 (along with 3) and the yellow arrows, show my key fears given the way he has played so far. If he exploits these gaps properly I will be in trouble. My tactic is to have units there to block, use arty when he probes and if necessary strip units away from my line to deal with it. This will work for yellow arrows 10, 11 and 12, maybe. But if he finds the big gap marked 3 and puts substantial forces through it then I may end up too depressed to continue. I may surrender.
13. Just to make things clear. Within the circle marked 13 there are 896 men.
14. Within the circle marked 14 there are 522 men
15. Within 15 - TF MCG - there are 444 men. another 367 in the 517 BN, just behind them.
There are 9 Shermans at Grand Hoursinne. 28 in TF MCG. That's my armour.
So. About 37 tanks and about 2,200 men. To last until day 7.

But that isn't what is making me so gloomy. It's the realisation that when my reinforcements arrive they're going to be caught up in a desperate fight to get away from their jumping off points. Mainly because I messed up at Briscol. That might be a key error. It makes me wonder whether I should pull TFMCG away from the nth, take the risk and try to use it to get Briscol back.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 4/8/2013 10:15:09 PM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 58
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/8/2013 10:26:35 PM   
phoenix

Just to bring it up to date. I think my timeline has been a bit off, because the picture below is taken at 9am, Day 6, which is where we're currently up to. Or maybe nothing happened on day 5... Or maybe it's all one big blur for me. Too much whiskey and desperation.....

2 and 3 are relatively strongly defended.

The BIG YELLOW GAP still my main worry. PLus 1. My infantry reinforcements come in 25 hours and they arrive at 1 (Briscol). All I've left there is the unit shown (it's down to 12 men). The battle there has been terrible.

So now my biggest question - leaving aside whether I should surrender or not - is whether to take a huge risk and throw TF McGeorge into trying to get back into Briscol. I'd have to move it down the back, by night, perhaps, so that when the reinforcements arrive it could assist. But I'd then have 2 days wide open at the top, before TF Lovelady (with armour) arrives up there. I could leave a blocking element, but it wouldn't hold him long if he really goes for it. Not sure what to do at all.

Any suggestions?

Besides all this, I do think me surrendering is a possibility still, even after I get the reinforcements, because even though I get fairly significant amounts of armour and men they will be held to the positions they arrive in, I think, and I have too few resources to change that now. PLus, he gets roughly similar numbers of reinforcements at around the same time. So it all looks pretty grim, I think. I'm not sure whether there are any more lessons to be learned by continuing.

Funny that just below the yellow arrow there's a town called Mon Derieux. I guess it means Mount Derieux, or Derieux Hill, but it sounds like 'My Rear' would sound in French, if your French is as crap as mine. The way into my rear.....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 4/9/2013 8:15:57 AM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 59
RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich - 4/9/2013 12:52:27 AM   
dazkaz15

Well I would hate to see you surrender as I am finding this very entertaining.
I could really feel your gloom and desperation in your words, and bizarrely it made me ......laugh

If your really thinking of throwing in the towel then do as Hitler did in Battle of the Bulge, and gamble on a big thrust into somewhere he won't expect with all the remaining forces you have maybe leave one or two behind to block the main routes but concentrate the rest into taking a high value target that he won't expect, or like you said try to get back the ones you need to release your reserves. Strip all the Bn just leaving a token rear guard, and form a Strong battle group with the rest, and go on the offensive

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: ALLIED side MP AAR Spearhead v Reich Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI