Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Don't you just love it when....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Don't you just love it when.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Don't you just love it when.... - 3/26/2013 9:10:36 AM   
larryfulkerson

Don't you just love it when Elmer lets you drive willy nilly behind his lines?

This is turn 29 of a modified Barbarosa 41 (classic folder) scenario that I've been working on. I've been appalled at the miserly
supply situation of the Axis and have modified the scenario to include about 15K more RR engineers. I've added them to some of the
HQ units, some of the engineers, and a lot of the AA units, who don't have much to do otherwise. All these guys can repair the
railroad. And with the addition of these units the rail line can just about keep up w/ the front lines and the Axis has a much better
situation overall. I've balanced this change w/ the addition of another rule that I got from Steve Sill ( sPzAbt653 ): If the health
indicator of a unit is red then it can't move or shoot. If it's orange it can move but not shoot. If it's yellow it may move or shoot.
RBC-ing a unit is considered movement. Only if the unit is green may it move AND shoot. And for the ARTY tubes there's this special
rule I've instituted:

%supply             losses setting
0 throu 39%       no shooting
40% - 59%         MIN LOSSES
60%-99%           LIMIT LOSSES
100%+               MAX LOSSES

Which means you'll have to set each unit each round, which means you may not want to play this scenario. So far it's working out
okie dokie but I'm not through playtesting it yet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/26/2013 9:11:14 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Don't you just love it when.... - 3/26/2013 4:09:20 PM   
shunwick

Larry,

That is one of the worst supplied scenarios on the list. The German supply is truly awful and the Soviet supply is a joke. I am all for improving the German supply as long as you don't forget to improve the Soviet supply as well (FSDE is too low.) If you have house rule that cherry red units may not attack then the Soviets will never be allowed to attack.

As a example. If you take a 33/1 (readiness/supply) Soviet Unit and stick it on top of a Soviet supply point, it will take six months to recover. That is absurd.

Ironically, the new supply rules benefit the Soviets. Under the new rules, the German supply is a joke and the Soviet supply remains a joke resulting in an overall benefit to the Soviets.

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/26/2013 4:15:29 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: Don't you just love it when.... - 3/26/2013 10:42:47 PM   
Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

That is one of the worst supplied scenarios on the list. The German supply is truly awful and the Soviet supply is a joke.

I take it this scenario in question should be played with high supply on

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3
RE: Don't you just love it when.... - 3/26/2013 11:23:41 PM   
sPzAbt653

1 plus 50% = 1.5 ... not much help.

(in reply to Matti Kuokkanen)
Post #: 4
RE: Don't you just love it when.... - 3/27/2013 9:30:05 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Larry,

That is one of the worst supplied scenarios on the list. The German supply is truly awful and the Soviet supply is a joke. I am all for improving the German supply as long as you don't forget to improve the Soviet supply as well (FSDE is too low.) If you have house rule that cherry red units may not attack then the Soviets will never be allowed to attack.

I should have specified that I was playing against the Soviet AI and that the color code rules don't apply to the Soviets. I'm watching the
AI handle the Soviet units and they always pull out of the front line and then step back into it, sometimes in a different spot sometimes
in the same spot and I'm amazed at the wasted AI movement going on. The Soviet units indeed do become cherry red and probably
stay that way the rest of the game. A human opponent would be 3200% better but this is an anti-AI playtest. After about turn 30 or so
the Soviets have hammered themselves against the German lines so much that in select places the Germans are able to push back the
front lines at will. I'm speaking about the area around Kharkov and Tula and those places way out in the middle of nowhere where there
aren't many roads and or rails. I'm guessing that toward the end of the scenario I'll be able to threaten Moscow.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 5
RE: Don't you just love it when.... - 3/27/2013 12:00:09 PM   
shunwick

Messed up this reply. See next post.

< Message edited by shunwick -- 3/27/2013 12:01:17 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Don't you just love it when.... - 3/27/2013 12:05:44 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

... and I'm amazed at the wasted AI movement going on.

Larry,

I am not sure but I think that the excessive AI movement is a direct result of the insane supply situation for the Soviets. The Soviet PO is constantly trying to find better supply.

Best wishes,
Steve

Post #: 7
RE: Don't you just love it when.... - 3/27/2013 12:25:04 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

That is one of the worst supplied scenarios on the list. The German supply is truly awful and the Soviet supply is a joke.

I take it this scenario in question should be played with high supply on

Matti,

Steve (sPzAbt653) is correct. The Soviet supply is so bad that they only get the default 1% supply in most cases. This is nowhere near enough. High Supply will give a 50% boost but in cases where the supply model is totally insane it is not enough.

To make this scenario work you must replace the entire supply model. Ironically, the designers gave Barbarossa 41 quite a sophisticated supply model (that has been superseded by the new 3.4 supply system.) But then they plugged in all the wrong numbers. And don't believe a word of the briefing either. It lies.

This is why I strongly advise that you spend some time learning how to use the editor. Make a copy of any scenario that you are interested in and work on making changes to some of the settings to see what effect it has. Learning how to use the editor will repay you handsomely.

Best wishes,
Steve (no, the other one...)

(in reply to Matti Kuokkanen)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Don't you just love it when.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI