Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Frejas game review (My daughter age 11)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) - 3/25/2013 9:43:17 PM   
wodin

Quite proud of this...

"Castle Crashers review:
This game honestly has me confused, not over the story, the characters or what the hell I just played. It’s that I have no idea whether I like it or not. It has some good things and bad things all are powerful and opinion swapping, It’s also got me particularly confused because I am a very opinionated person and not having an opinion on something is very rare and strange for me.
The first thing that I love about Castle Crashers is the graphics; they can be so cute and disturbing, that it honestly makes me want to live there. They also have a huge downfall and that is that (mostly if you have the fire knight/poison knight as your team-mate) threes so much going on that you seem to lose your mind and have no idea what to do. This happens to me lots of times to the point where I end up just dyeing on purpose and watch my friend own everyone and everything.
There is also a problem with accuracy, mostly with your crossbow and spells since the up down side-scrolling movement and is way too accurate because when you try and hit enemies that your electric and ice spells are useless.
There’s also the whole levelling system where the more times you hit in an enemy the more XP you get, seems good right? Because the people who suck will have weak weapons will hit them more! Yes and no, because the good players will have eliminated all the enemies before the weaker can get a piece of the action. Rendering the levelling system useless. There is also the stat system; you get two points-after levelling up- to give to any stat but only one point to give after level 20 and onward. These starts are: Strength/attack, Magic, Defence/Health Points and Agility/Speed. There is nothing bad or good about these so let’s move on.
The story is extremely hard to follow sometimes and the random map directions are also. There are things you get that you don't know what they are for is really irritating (e.g, the telescope, wheel and compass are things you get and at that point you may or may not have any idea what they are for and confuse you further) there is no narrative or explaining of what you need to do next.
Since the story isn't fleshed out enough you don't give two monkeys butt-cheeks about it at all. Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't any memorable moments, one of the main ones is the poo-powered dear that you find early on in the game and continues to appear throughout the game. This game relies on humour but most of it is the weird/creepy/disturbing looking enemies so if that’s not what you're after then the humour in this game isn't for you.
The actual battling itself is pretty decent, apart from the visual problems I mentioned before; it has a wide range of different animations for the same attack and different attacks for different combos. You get these by levelling up and increasing that stats-magic also does this.
The music in this game is absolutely the bees head shoulders (?) knees and toes, my favourites being the forest entrance theme and the necromancer theme.
The worst part of the entire game is the controls on a keyboard; it always shows the tutorial combos in Xbox controller style and leaves you to experiment when in the middle of a fight. You see my fellow PC gamers; this is what we get for being so loyal to our desktops! Also the translations SWITCH yes, you read me, SWITCH for example, it shows the it’s the X button on Xbox to pick up a weapon, the keyboard translation is d, okay, fair enough. Then you're fighting D is also X for light attack just like before, OH NO! Your enemy has sword clashed it tells you to press X on Xbox PRESS D PRESS D.Oh wait, noooo! It’s the space bar, how stupid! Aaaand you're dead, congratulations.
I should also mention the two other modes, All You Can Quaff and Arena Mode. All You Can Quaff is a simple button mashing game that takes place in a food eating contest, first to finish all the food wins, yay! Arena Mode is what you'd expect; you fight for glory in the ring of honour, RAAAH!
Anyways, that concludes my review of Castle Crashers and all its screw ups and giggles, hope you enjoyed it!"

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 1
RE: Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) - 3/26/2013 12:14:49 AM   
Mobeer

It actually does a nice job of describing the game, the mechanics and experience of playing, and the pros and cons. A hint more organisation would make it easier to follow, but it's enough for me to understand that Castle Crashers needs some work before buying.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) - 3/26/2013 4:20:15 PM   
shunwick

Wodin,

You have every right to be proud of your daughter.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 3
RE: Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) - 3/26/2013 4:26:04 PM   
Josh

Obviously more talented then her father.

In all honesty, a pretty good review for a 11 year old, so yeah well done, I'd say A+.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 4
RE: Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) - 3/27/2013 2:23:05 PM   
wodin

Thanks lads. Yes she has been classed gifted\talented by her High School which she started last September. She was teaching me algebra last week! She loves English\History\Maths\IT\Art and Physics\Chemistry and Biology . So yes far more talented than me.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 5
RE: Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) - 3/28/2013 5:17:42 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

A fun read Frejas even if some of the terminology made me feel that much older.

About the cursing.....

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) - 3/28/2013 5:32:05 PM   
wodin

She used the sh1t word and she got told off and had to change it..the other stuff in it I can accept..considering most kids these days use every swear word under the sun..Freja is very well spoken. Think she says hell..which really isn't a swear word..not in my book anyway.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 7
RE: Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) - 3/28/2013 7:11:07 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Yeah. Hells not so bad a word. I was much worse.

In fact, there were times where I was that kid whose friends mother forbid us to hang out. Something always went down.

You need to introduce her to something like Panzer Corps or maybe Grigsby's W@W. Could always use a new generation of wargamers.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Frejas game review (My daughter age 11) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI