Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis replacements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Axis replacements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 8:13:04 PM   
smokindave34

Per Helpless' request here is my save game file from my last turn. I continue to struggle getting men from the pool to the front. If you need my password let me know and I will PM it. Thanks.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 8:19:25 PM   
elmo3

Hopefully Pavel will see it at some point.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 3/24/2013 8:20:38 PM >

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 8:32:11 PM   
Helpless

Can you please point out what is the exact problem?

According the thread your indicate that you can't drain the pool, however I don't see immediately any depleted unit on the front line. Meanwhile many of your units are off refit and with MAX TOE below 100. When I set max toe for all units to 100 pool immediately goes down to 32 men.

< Message edited by Helpless -- 3/24/2013 8:59:14 PM >

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 9:20:27 PM   
smokindave34

Shouldn't the units I have on refit (highlighted) be getting replacements. There TOE is low and they are on refit. Some of the 300K men in the pool should be making it to these units shouldn't they?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 9:25:11 PM   
Helpless

They do for me. However the closer you are to the MAX TOE set the lower you will get.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 9:58:34 PM   
Flaviusx

Pavel, most Axis players do not use global settings of 100% TOE. They dial them down for non essential units and try to concentrate replacements on front line divisions. It doesn't really do them much good to empty the pools on a bunch of SUs and security units or whatever.

The issue here is and always has been pushing the replacements to front line units. Even after taking into account player error, HQs set below 100%, etc., the fact is that it's very hard to push those replacements where they are actually needed, harder than it really should be.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 6
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 10:06:43 PM   
Helpless

I don't see any issue so far. At least not in the save provided. Front line units go up to 70% of TOE quite easily. This is well within historical figures.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 10:21:59 PM   
Flaviusx

I agree that 70% is well within historical guidelines, but given the way the game works generally, 70% is not good enough. Once you get on the backfoot as the Axis things can snowball quickly.

The entire replacement system tends to penalize the defender in general, it's very weird. It's actually easier to get your stuff topped off when you are on the offense, particularly in mobile situations, because the percentage of the attacker's units in contact with the enemy drops down for the attacker. The defender tends to get stuck with a bunch of routed units in the rear that have to recover first before receiving replacements. The stuff on the front is, well, on the front.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 8
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 10:33:56 PM   
Helpless

I see your point and probably some balance work can be done, but described situation has it's logic. When fronline goes apart you need reserves to react or start organized retreat and potentially decrease the length of frontline. Replacement system is not something to be used as instant reaction tool.

It is hard for me to judge dynamics from just one save. Since I don't see any unit stuck in depletion on the frontline, there is not that much can be done at the moment.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 9
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 10:48:31 PM   
smokindave34

Why would I have to wait until my frontline units are depleted to send them replacements? If I was commander of AGC wouldn't I send my replacements to my infantry divisions at the front versus to a security unit 100km behind the front?

I understand that if I play as the axis my units will eventually have a TOE of 70% and then even lower (below 50% in my game into '45) but it doesn't make sense that this would happen while I have able body soldiers available to fight.

It's tough enough to hold back the Soviets late in the war but doing so while you have hundreds of thousands of men in a replacement pool (and growing every turn) is very frustrating. Sure I can probably lower the pool somewhat by refitting my security and HQ divisions but this won't help a bit in defending the Reich.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 3/24/2013 10:52:19 PM >

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Axis replacements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI