How does react work?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

MAARTENR

How does react work?

Post by MAARTENR »

He can someone help me how react works?
By example if i have react at 3 what does it do?
Sardaukar

RE: How does react work?

Post by Sardaukar »

Depending on dice roll, it moves your TF up to 3 hex to react. Aggressive commanders can easily overrule that, one reason I don't like to use Halsey as CV TF commander.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

Thanx!
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Remember that "Remain on Station" setting negates any reaction range you set for that TF.If you want a TF to stay in one place AND have a reaction range setting, give it it Patrol orders, even if just for a one-hex patrol.
MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

Allright.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Remember that "Remain on Station" setting negates any reaction range you set for that TF.If you want a TF to stay in one place AND have a reaction range setting, give it it Patrol orders, even if just for a one-hex patrol.

Thanks for that second tidbit. Never thought of that.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

That was news to me. You never seem to stop learning in this game[:)]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I might remember it wrongly but I´m pretty sure having "remain on station" doesn´t necessarily mean just that. I have had CV reactions anyway. Despite having a react of 0 and remain on station. Perhaps the CV reaction is different from the normal react?
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

"Remain on Station" means stay where I put you.

"React" means move to attack any detected enemy nearby.

The two orders are contradictory and the game will ignore "Remain on Station" if "React" is ordered. Reacting will clear the "Remain on Station" order so the TF will return to home port after reacting.

witpqs is right. If you want a TF to be in an area and to react if enemy are detected nearby, use a combination of "Patrol" and "React". You can use a single Patrol Hex to emulate "Remain on Station".
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

A definitive answer, thanks Don
MaB1708

Post by MaB1708 »

Straight to the point, added to my growing personal manual. Thanks Don for the answer and thanks to thread starter for the question.

Bests,

Martin
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

"Remain on Station" means stay where I put you.

"React" means move to attack any detected enemy nearby.

The two orders are contradictory and the game will ignore "Remain on Station" if "React" is ordered. Reacting will clear the "Remain on Station" order so the TF will return to home port after reacting.

witpqs is right. If you want a TF to be in an area and to react if enemy are detected nearby, use a combination of "Patrol" and "React". You can use a single Patrol Hex to emulate "Remain on Station".

Makes perfect sense. I use the patrol/react a lot. I like the feature. So you're saying that I can have my taskforce set to "remain on station" and "react" of however many hexes and it will infact override the "remain on station" and react? Once the reaction is over, it will return to home port? I guess I figured it always needed to be on retirement alowed to be able to react.

So- The ONLY way to have my TF react AND move back to it's original hex is the Patrol/React combo... the react overrides the "retirement allowed" and "remain on station" and will always return to port if I do not have the Patrol combo...

I follow your answer, I am just clarifying something I thought I was doing correctly.

Thanks, Don.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Just a point I have found with react setting, when it comes to multiple task forces; I now set only one task force to react, and set the others to follow it. As I have had one task force react in the past, while the others have not. This is even though all Task forces were set to react, and had the same range.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

There are a few other items involved in the determination to react. One of your TFs might pass, others might not.

Relative strength of the TF and the possible react-to TF.
Relative speed of the two
(for both, as well as is known about the enemy TF, including fog of war)
Ammo and fuel state of your TF
TF Commander's aggression rating (only if reaction is into dangerous waters (shallow, under enemy air cover).
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

I have always wondered that too. If I have three CV groups and two are following the lead one, do I set them all to react or just the lead?
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

I might remember it wrongly but I´m pretty sure having "remain on station" doesn´t necessarily mean just that. I have had CV reactions anyway. Despite having a react of 0 and remain on station. Perhaps the CV reaction is different from the normal react?

The special carrier TF "reaction" is different. See s.6.3.4 of the manual.

Alfred

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”