Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat mechanics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Combat mechanics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat mechanics - 3/24/2013 3:31:14 PM   
d1d2d3d4

Hi guys
Despite years of playing this game I am still puzzled at the combat mechanism. I get the example of the T34 and Panther in the manual but I have some other questions:

1. For what and how is the defense strength of a unit used where there is also an armour rating-example above the Panther's armour strength (13) is used but it also has a defense strength of 39-how and when is this used?

2. Still not sure how individual AP fire is resolved-specifically how does the calculation go for AP fire. Is there something similar to Anti-armour fire?

3. How the hell does AA combat work-does it work? Are the AA values for ground units effective?

Apologies if these questions have been answered elsewhere but I haven't been able to find anything. The forum is my last stop so hopeful of some answers or pointers to good explanatory sources.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Combat mechanics - 3/24/2013 8:59:00 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: d1d2d3d4

1. For what and how is the defense strength of a unit used where there is also an armour rating-example above the Panther's armour strength (13) is used but it also has a defense strength of 39-how and when is this used?

The "defense" strength shown when editing equipment actually seems to control the weight of the vehicle.

The value shown in the game is a function of the armour value and I believe is used in calculating an RBC.

quote:

2. Still not sure how individual AP fire is resolved-specifically how does the calculation go for AP fire. Is there something similar to Anti-armour fire?

More or less (except for artillery which is applied in a lump to the opposing units). The survivability of equipment against AP fire is a function of the defence strength as modified by terrain and deployment status.

quote:

3. How the hell does AA combat work-does it work? Are the AA values for ground units effective?

In the current version it is bugged and only works for AA-iconed units.

"Event 902: Bob Cross slays dragons!"

http://www.savemstateathletics.com/tdg/

(in reply to d1d2d3d4)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat mechanics - 3/24/2013 10:16:09 PM   
d1d2d3d4

Hi GD
Thanks for the reply.
Just to confirm then for non-arty AP fire the system basically compares the attackers AP strength with the defense strength of the defender-then what? In the manual it says that any AP fire that hits is always lethal, so I assume there is some sort of check first based on supply, readiness and proficiency but that would make a comparison between AP rating and defense pointless.

Sorry for being a pest but I have just started using the bioed and cant get my head around some of the settings.

Cheers

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat mechanics - 3/25/2013 10:25:40 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: d1d2d3d4

Hi GD
Thanks for the reply.
Just to confirm then for non-arty AP fire the system basically compares the attackers AP strength with the defense strength of the defender-then what? In the manual it says that any AP fire that hits is always lethal, so I assume there is some sort of check first based on supply, readiness and proficiency but that would make a comparison between AP rating and defense pointless.

Sorry for being a pest but I have just started using the bioed and cant get my head around some of the settings.

Cheers

Kamerad,

BioEd is fine, though I'd recommend Andy's Equipment editor: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.edmiston/toaweqpedit.htm

Regards,

Klink, Oberst

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to d1d2d3d4)
Post #: 4
RE: Combat mechanics - 3/26/2013 2:41:14 AM   
ogar

@d1d2d3d4,

Have you tried running toawlog on a sample combat ? I think if you run the log - especially if you use uberdude - you'll see some of the in-process calculations (but not everything) the engine uses in combat.
I recommend just trying and logging 1 attack for 1 round (ok, maybe 2 separate attacks); else you'll be overwhelmed with detail.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 5
RE: Combat mechanics - 3/31/2013 12:59:11 PM   
d1d2d3d4

Thanks for the responses guys..

Oberst-thanks just realised I am using the TOAWIII editor I wondered why it was running so smoothly-last time I used the BIOED had all sorts of compatibility problems completely put me off using it.

Ogar-Exactly what is a toawlog and how would I run it?

Thanks

(in reply to ogar)
Post #: 6
RE: Combat mechanics - 4/1/2013 1:41:11 PM   
josant

Toawlog is a feature that describes a combat in detail.

To enable it you must open opart3.ini file and search the entry toawlog=N and change the N by Y, then save the file and run the game.

A new toaw_log.txt archive will be generated in the main folder of the game, you can read it with a text editor and it stores many things including detailed combat resolution; example, AT-4 attacks a T-72; it result (success or failure), and the zone of the impact (front or side).

This file grows rapidly and is not uncommon for the log files to exceed 10 MB in size. But when you close the game and load it again the file reset himself.

(in reply to d1d2d3d4)
Post #: 7
RE: Combat mechanics - 4/1/2013 1:53:57 PM   
d1d2d3d4

Hi Josant
Yeah, just sussed it out but the resulting output is a bit complex. I did 1 round of attacks using exact same squads with level playing field (terrain, 100% P,S & R) checked the readout and couldn't understand it. Pity there isn't a simple example of AP combat in the manual like the ant-armor one!!
Anyway thanks for the help all.

(in reply to josant)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Combat mechanics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI