Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis replacements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Axis replacements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 1:06:37 PM   
smokindave34

The axis replacement situation needs to be addressed in a future patch. Once the Soviets go over to the offensive and can keep the vast majority of axis units in their ZOC, axis reinforcements don't make it to the front. I'm into September '43 and have over 300,000 men in the Germany pool - it climbs about 20,000 each turn while my OOB decreases by about 30,000 each turn.

The axis does not have the luxury of pulling back units from the front and putting them on refit to get reinforcements to them - the Soviets do. I've tried putting every infantry unit on refit to see if that would help and it does not. Am I missing something - is there some other way to get my men to the front? It seems unrealistic that I will soon have half a million men relaxing in Germany while my front line units get bled white.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 1:35:59 PM   
Flaviusx

It's a real problem.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 1:36:41 PM   
Balou

What MP pool is it ? All, active or transit ?

Just saw it must be "all". How many on transit?

< Message edited by Balou -- 3/24/2013 1:38:30 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 2:36:18 PM   
smokindave34

Here is the manpower pool in transit - about 33K. The numbers from both screenshots are for Germany only.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 2:59:37 PM   
Balou

Strange. As I see it, and since refit overrules normal replacement (however refit needs rail proximity), replacements that do not reach their destination via refit don't move at all.

Post #: 5
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 3:02:56 PM   
Flaviusx

Smokingdave isn't imagining this, the issue is real and an artifact of the replacement model automatically penalizing any unit adjacent to the enemy. Even if in good supply and in a quiet sector of the front.

As he says, the Soviets deal with this by shuffling units back and forth; wildly irritating and tedious, but it does work. The Axis doesn't even have this workaround available to it as a practical matter, or only to a very limited degree. They are short on counters, period. Possibly they could game this with breakdowns, but it would be complicated to pull off.

The rule for replacements as presently exists is overly binary and unrealistic.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 6
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 3:11:32 PM   
morvael

This shuffling is boring and tedious. A micro-management hell. Of course I am happy that on the Soviet side I have this alternative to starving units. The Germans have none.

What about getting rid of the "refit on the front line doesn't work" rule introduced in one patch? We are talking here about hexes 10 miles in diameter and weekly turns. A "micro" rotation can be imagined in such situation to happen on element level all the time. The morale recovery may be limited, but at least the reinforcements should reach units as desired by the player.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 4:33:17 PM   
smokindave34

I'm not familiar enough with the refit rules to know if a frontline unit gets NO refit capability - but based on what I'm seeing it looks like that is true. I think your suggestion is a good one Morvael. Even if frontline units on refit only received a portion (maybe 50%) of their alloted replacements that would at least allow the axis to get men out of the pool (and save the Soviets from micro managing their units as well).

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 8
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 6:37:08 PM   
timmyab

This part of the game needs sorting out.I think units that are adjacent to enemy units should receive half replacements when in refit mode.
For WITE 2 I think the 'ready, unready, disrupted, refit, reserve' bar should be replaced with one that allows the player to choose the unit's level of replacements.So that could be something like 'none, low, med, high, refit, reserve'.Only units off the front line and on a rail head would qualify for 'high'.As units got further away from rail heads the 'med' option would disappear and if far enough even the 'low' option could go.Unlike at present, the 'none' option should really mean none.
Refit would be high replacements with all the extra benefits that it currently has, but there would be penalties for units that get attacked while in refit mode.

Post #: 9
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 7:29:43 PM   
Helpless

I suggest you to upload or send save in tech support section. So far all similar saves provided showed bad unit management.

quote:

I'm not familiar enough with the refit rules to know if a frontline unit gets NO refit capability - but based on what I'm seeing it looks like that is true.

This is not true.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

Post #: 10
RE: Axis replacements - 3/24/2013 8:06:19 PM   
smokindave34

I'll post my latest save in the tech support section. What do you mean by bad unit mangement? I can't exactly manage to pull units off the front line while a Soviet steamroller is pushing me west?

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Axis replacements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI